Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

corporate partnership for KBS?

AppYosef!
School: Appalachian State

Re: corporate partnership for KBS?

Unread post by AppYosef! » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:56 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:45 pm
A&T has Truist Field and before that Ford sponsored the stadium.

Personally I would never refer to any structure by a corporate name. It would still be KBS to me and if it never had a name like that I would refer to it as App State Football Stadium or ASFS for short.
Most everyone I know still calls the stadium in Winston-Salem "Groves Stadium".
I discussed with a former BB&T exec who lamented how the company had squandered so much marketing money on naming rights to fields that the public still called by the old name. At that time you could google "BB&T Field" and find half a dozen athletic venues with BB&T on the name from football to baseball (multiple fields) and soccer fields. In the long-term it is not a big benefit for the sponsor.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:49 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:56 pm

Personally I would never refer to any structure by a corporate name. It would still be KBS to me and if it never had a name like that I would refer to it as App State Football Stadium or ASFS for short.
I discussed with a former BB&T exec who lamented how the company had squandered so much marketing money on naming rights to fields that the public still called by the old name. At that time you could google "BB&T Field" and find half a dozen athletic venues with BB&T on the name from football to baseball (multiple fields) and soccer fields. In the long-term it is not a big benefit for the sponsor.
And that continued with Truist Fields all over the place. I would name them all, but I only have so many hours in a day.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:36 am

AppYosef! wrote:

Living in Winston, I was confused enough just to have two BB&T/Truist venues in town, with the WFU football stadium and the downtown baseball stadium both sharing the branding. It was even more confusing that "Truist Stadium" was the ballpark in Winston, and "Truist Field" was the WFU football stadium, but the Charlotte Knights' stadium is "Truist Field" as well, but A&T's football stadium is "Truist Stadium."

So if you're playing along at home:
In Winston-Salem, Truist Stadium is a baseball venue and Truist Field is a football venue.
Outside of Winston, flip that. Charlotte's "Truist Field" is a baseball venue and Greensboro's "Truist Stadium" is a football venue.

And the High Point baseball field is "Truist Point." And the big soccer complex out in Bermuda Run is named for Truist also. Plus the Braves play in Truist Park now. And I JUST got around to even being able to say "Truist" without sneering. At least pre-merger, SunTrust had the Braves rights and the baseball stadiums in Charlotte and Winston were "BB&T Ballpark," so at a minimum you understood what kind of venue it was at a glance.

Corporate naming rights are confusing, often aren't even that lucrative, and open you up to even more confusion if there's a merger or a rebrand. Not to mention a scramble if you happen to have an Enron Field or an FTX Arena on your hands.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:09 pm

appchicago wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:36 am
AppYosef! wrote:

Living in Winston, I was confused enough just to have two BB&T/Truist venues in town, with the WFU football stadium and the downtown baseball stadium both sharing the branding. It was even more confusing that "Truist Stadium" was the ballpark in Winston, and "Truist Field" was the WFU football stadium, but the Charlotte Knights' stadium is "Truist Field" as well, but A&T's football stadium is "Truist Stadium."

So if you're playing along at home:
In Winston-Salem, Truist Stadium is a baseball venue and Truist Field is a football venue.
Outside of Winston, flip that. Charlotte's "Truist Field" is a baseball venue and Greensboro's "Truist Stadium" is a football venue.

And the High Point baseball field is "Truist Point." And the big soccer complex out in Bermuda Run is named for Truist also. Plus the Braves play in Truist Park now. And I JUST got around to even being able to say "Truist" without sneering. At least pre-merger, SunTrust had the Braves rights and the baseball stadiums in Charlotte and Winston were "BB&T Ballpark," so at a minimum you understood what kind of venue it was at a glance.

Corporate naming rights are confusing, often aren't even that lucrative, and open you up to even more confusion if there's a merger or a rebrand. Not to mention a scramble if you happen to have an Enron Field or an FTX Arena on your hands.
The folks that run the soccer complex in Bermuda Run merged with NC Fusion that runs the big soccer complex near Lake Townsend. I was out there the other day chasing the Amtrak Crescent and the soccer fields near Lake Townsend may have a Truist sign near them as well. For those keeping score.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:09 pm
The folks that run the soccer complex in Bermuda Run merged with NC Fusion that runs the big soccer complex near Lake Townsend. I was out there the other day chasing the Amtrak Crescent and the soccer fields near Lake Townsend may have a Truist sign near them as well. For those keeping score.
Yeah, NC Fusion is actually a new entity created through a merger between Greensboro United and Twin City Sports. They merged in 2021 and, as you say, their two main facilities are "Truist Sports Park" in Bermuda Run and "Bryan Park Truist Soccer Complex" by Lake Townsend in Browns Summit.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:12 pm

appchicago wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:20 pm
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:09 pm
Yeah, NC Fusion is actually a new entity created through a merger between Greensboro United and Twin City Sports. They merged in 2021 and, as you say, their two main facilities are "Truist Sports Park" in Bermuda Run and "Bryan Park Truist Soccer Complex" by Lake Townsend in Browns Summit.
At this point I am almost offended that App State does not have something branded as Truist. Is it something we said? Do we smell bad?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:53 pm

I don't like the idea of having a corporate name all over the stadium... But I don't like falling behind conference mates money wise even more.

If that's what is going to help the athletic department, better get it done!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:56 pm

We do have Corporate partners like Allen Tate Real Estate - official real estate provider for Mountaineer Athletics, etc - just none big enough for naming rights to the stadium

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:31 pm

Ingles supermarkets?

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:40 pm

Sounds like "Truist" BB&T branding worked. You guys are saying "Truist" over and over and know who Truist is.

Truist does advertise with App. I think there is a Truist sign on our football scoreboard. I also think our bank machines on campus and in the stadium are "Truist".

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:05 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:40 pm
Sounds like "Truist" BB&T branding worked. You guys are saying "Truist" over and over and know who Truist is.

Truist does advertise with App. I think there is a Truist sign on our football scoreboard. I also think our bank machines on campus and in the stadium are "Truist".
Sadly one of my credit unions sold my mortgage to SunTrust. I know Truist all too well. I hate banks and they are one reason. But happy for App to take their money.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:50 am

Your naming rights are at the tippy top. Nothings gonna be allowed with that name on top.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:01 am

Not wanting to go deep into this discussion, but just my opinion: Either leave the name alone as KBS (no one is forcing us to change it yet ) or change it to something which is mostly apropos (sp) only to us as a Mountaineer family such as Appalachian State Mountaineer Stadium or Mountaineer Stadium (even though some might confuse it with the WVU folks but at least the Mountaineer family (us) would know. Also, ASU stadium would work as well even though there are other ASU's as well (Arizona State University, Arkansas State University, as well as the "at" so and so's.)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:07 am

I generally hate corporate-named stadiums in college (and pro stadiums too, but that ship has long sailed). That said, I don't have any particular strong emotional need to continue honoring Kidd Brewer. It would be different if it were Jerry Moore Stadium or Mountaineer Stadium, etc.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:55 pm

Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:05 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

Sadly one of my credit unions sold my mortgage to SunTrust. I know Truist all too well. I hate banks and they are one reason. But happy for App to take their money.

Just curious. What happens when Truist gets bought out or merges with another bank such as Fifth-Third, do we then change the name of our stadium to Fifth-Third? Then should Fifth-Third merges with Podunk Bank, do we change the name to Podunk Bank Stadium? ad infinitum
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:36 pm

WVU's stadium is Milan Puskar Stadium - that just rolls off the tongue doesn't it? - some still try to keep some of the history in the name by calling it Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium -
Keep it Kidd Brewer Stadium ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:38 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:55 pm
Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:05 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

Just curious. What happens when Truist gets bought out or merges with another bank such as Fifth-Third, do we then change the name of our stadium to Fifth-Third? Then should Fifth-Third merges with Podunk Bank, do we change the name to Podunk Bank Stadium? ad infinitum
I know this sounds pompous, but that's not the intent..

It all depends on the contract between App and a sponsoring entity. Another layer is the merger agreement should that happen... It's possible (though, not likely) the merger agreement allows all existing sponsorships to use old name until contract ends. It really just depends on the situation...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:53 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:36 pm
WVU's stadium is Milan Puskar Stadium - that just rolls off the tongue doesn't it? - some still try to keep some of the history in the name by calling it Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium -
Here comes the flak but I'll end my part by saying I'm in agreement with WVAPPeer by just saying leave it as Kidd Brewer Stadium. His transgressions will soon be a hundred or so years ago and were mostly political. Picking a business or corporate name risks the reputation changing when a business gets the bad rep itself. Suppose we had for some reason named it after Wachovia Bank because it had a superb reputation in the Western North Carolina general area. Then they merged with Wells Fargo and then Wells Fargo got the huge bad rap with something about opening fake accounts for customers all over the country. This conceivably could happen with any corporation with lending our historic rep by changing everything in the media, name on tickets, name on stadium, etc etc. Just leave it alone as KBS and rename it after some other App State notable. Forget the greed and keep it simple. Our Mountaineer pride and honor is much more important than in getting greedy and complicated. Just my opinion and that's all.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:26 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:36 pm
Puskar? I hardly know her.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:51 pm

Let’s crowd fund and name it The Rock? A National Campaign and raise 5 mil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”