Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hickory Campus Building

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Hickory Campus Building

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:40 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:14 pm
This was before the massive doping scandal. It was my understanding he owned a home and trained in the high country. It’s just what I’d heard.
He used to bike up Beech Mountain back in the 90s.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:16 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:40 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
This was before the massive doping scandal. It was my understanding he owned a home and trained in the high country. It’s just what I’d heard.
I cannot remember lance participated or not.. during my time in Boone 93-95, one year they had a professional bike race (I believe professional) come through downtown Boone. It was pretty cool to view the talented bicyclists going that speed through downtown
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:39 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:16 pm
AppinVA wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
I cannot remember lance participated or not.. during my time in Boone 93-95, one year they had a professional bike race (I believe professional) come through downtown Boone. It was pretty cool to view the talented bicyclists going that speed through downtown
It was the Tour DuPont. I can’t remember the year though. I think that’s where he discovered the High Country.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:54 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:39 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
It was the Tour DuPont. I can’t remember the year though. I think that’s where he discovered the High Country.
I’ve read a couple of his books - I believe 7-11 used to do training camps in and around Boone, and after he got out of the hospital from his cancer treatments, he came back to train on his own. Basically his agent and coach told him he should try to transform from a classics rider to an all around/climber, and to do that he needed to train in mountains. Having been here before, he came back. It probably kept him out of the prying eyes/scrutiny of the main US cycling scene and let him “recuperate” in privacy.

Lance Armstrong is a dick. He’s a bully. He’s a liar. He was also better at his craft than anyone in the previous 40 years (his craft being doping and cycling together). Every single one of his contemporaries were also dopers, he was just better at it than them. He had a better team and a better support structure around him.
Give 'em hell!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:21 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:54 pm
AppinVA wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Lance Armstrong is a dick. He’s a bully. He’s a liar. He was also better at his craft than anyone in the previous 40 years (his craft being doping and cycling together). Every single one of his contemporaries were also dopers, he was just better at it than them. He had a better team and a better support structure around him.
I wish the USPS would dope up the rest of their drivers. Maybe they could deliver faster than Amazon. I'd be ok if my tax money went to that.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:50 pm

It was not 95 based on this website but the other years are missing data about the stages.

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/wedstrij ... rijdid=516
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:08 pm

It was 1993. Here's Beech Mountain referenced. You have to click through to You Tube. Armstrong is shown at the 6:20 mark and shown climbing Beech at 8:50

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:31 am

The announcer with “the blue park ridgeway”
Bring Your A Game!

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:54 pm

Is there a relationship developing between L P Frans stadium & App?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:30 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:54 pm
The team and I assume stadium was sold a few weeks ago by the Texas Rangers. The new owner has his hand in a lot of minor league baseball, Memphis 901 USL soccer, and also the English team I follow, Dagenham and Redbridge in the National League (which is why I know about the baseball sales to be sure.)

I say all of this to state that I doubt anything is suddenly happening now this soon with new owners unless something was very close to being completed but still under wraps. I could see something happening in future years though outside of having a permanent early season home for baseball I am not sure what that would be at this point.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:36 pm

We've got a beautiful baseball field/facility. If you haven't seen it in person you should. You can walk in most days to see it. I'm not sure playing at LP does a lot for us. Might get a few extra eyes once in a while but what little extra we would make would be blown in travel costs up and down the mountain.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:53 am

appdaze wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:36 pm
We've got a beautiful baseball field/facility. If you haven't seen it in person you should. You can walk in most days to see it. I'm not sure playing at LP does a lot for us. Might get a few extra eyes once in a while but what little extra we would make would be blown in travel costs up and down the mountain.
year round practice facility and early season games would be nice.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:13 am

What’s the practical thought process here?…have the baseball team live and go to classes in hickory while it’s still cold, then relocate back to campus for the latter 2/3 of the season?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:47 am

AppinVA wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
It was 93. Me and my roommates worked the race.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:32 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:13 am
What’s the practical thought process here?…have the baseball team live and go to classes in hickory while it’s still cold, then relocate back to campus for the latter 2/3 of the season?
A few weeks ago I attended a T Ball night with the Crawdads at Fran’s stadium. I noticed out in left field, to the left of the foul line, a huge AppState sign or banner. The biggest in the stadium. Got me to thinking maybe there is some relationship there. App did play one or more early season games there.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:57 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:54 pm
We have had a good relationship with them since their inception in 93 for obvious reasons. The organization is going through some changes but given the City's all-in with us, it's probably stronger than ever.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:43 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:53 am
appdaze wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:36 pm
year round practice facility and early season games would be nice.
Appsolutely hated bussing 1 hour and change to a 4 hour practice and 1 hour and change back. Playing/practicing consistently in Hickory is not a sell to recruits. We practiced in the Sofield a good amount. The new Sofield facility, along with some other whispers about baseball facility improvements, is a sell in recruiting, not Hickory.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:43 am

You want to kill the baseball program, tell the current players and recruits they will be playing more than like one non-conference or any conference series in Hickory.
It is a nice facility...but not home to the players.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:54 pm

any school that was involved with having fake classes should not be considered "elite"

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:30 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:29 pm
311neers wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:11 pm
Captain Morgan wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:56 pm
gotta think this kind of expansion is our future....where else can we go? Statesville? Lenoir?
Would love to see us go another hour to Charlotte for an Uptown CLT satellite program. Would attract upper 20’s to 30 year olds. If nothing more than just seeing the block “A” on a building in a city with 1.5M people would help the brand/University a lot.
I am not fond of this as I do not like seeing us compete with sister colleges on the academic side, in that sort of way. I do not like seeing UNC-CH plop down an MBA program in Charlotte. It is a slap in the face of UNCC. Co-brand with a co-degree or something if fine but Charlotte is UNC-C territory and WNC down to Mt Mitchell and over to Statesville and Surry should be App territory and then UNCG and A&T and WSSU can split the area up or UNCA and WCU can do so as well and some areas overlap of course but even there there will be some historical situations there with HBCU and such that make the history of the schools not overlap directly.
Unc executive mba is tailored around people that were going to CH or Duke or another elite university to get a sheet of paper to get a promotion. These people aren’t going to pay the executive price for a piece of paper that says UNCC (or App for that matter). It’s not about the quality of the education, just about the name on the paper for big corporations.

To me, as we go past peak enrollment it won’t be so much satellite campuses as much as consolidation.

For me the perfect plan would be for App to subsume UNCA. Put our graduate and eventual professional programs in Asheville in a more urban environment, Boone is the undergrad center of excellence, Hickory houses a little of both and Admin.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:44 pm

asumba95 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:54 pm
any school that was involved with having fake classes should not be considered "elite"

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:30 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:29 pm
311neers wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:11 pm
Captain Morgan wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:56 pm
gotta think this kind of expansion is our future....where else can we go? Statesville? Lenoir?
Would love to see us go another hour to Charlotte for an Uptown CLT satellite program. Would attract upper 20’s to 30 year olds. If nothing more than just seeing the block “A” on a building in a city with 1.5M people would help the brand/University a lot.
I am not fond of this as I do not like seeing us compete with sister colleges on the academic side, in that sort of way. I do not like seeing UNC-CH plop down an MBA program in Charlotte. It is a slap in the face of UNCC. Co-brand with a co-degree or something if fine but Charlotte is UNC-C territory and WNC down to Mt Mitchell and over to Statesville and Surry should be App territory and then UNCG and A&T and WSSU can split the area up or UNCA and WCU can do so as well and some areas overlap of course but even there there will be some historical situations there with HBCU and such that make the history of the schools not overlap directly.
Unc executive mba is tailored around people that were going to CH or Duke or another elite university to get a sheet of paper to get a promotion. These people aren’t going to pay the executive price for a piece of paper that says UNCC (or App for that matter). It’s not about the quality of the education, just about the name on the paper for big corporations.

To me, as we go past peak enrollment it won’t be so much satellite campuses as much as consolidation.

For me the perfect plan would be for App to subsume UNCA. Put our graduate and eventual professional programs in Asheville in a more urban environment, Boone is the undergrad center of excellence, Hickory houses a little of both and Admin.
I wish that were the case.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”