Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Summer 2023 Construction

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Summer 2023 Construction

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 31, 2023 7:37 pm

I was on campus today for a retirement reception honoring two physics professors.

No major construction that I was around but I did see three smaller projects.

Holmes had some stone masons working the entrances. Not sure if this was the steps that are always under attack from the winter weather and salt or if this work also included some work on the stone exterior.

The cladding around the support posts of the old Belk Library (History Hall now) was being removed and it appeared the new cladding was stone. It will look so much better and blend in with the other architecture finishes around campus.

Work was being done in the student store. The renderings looked nice but I am not sure I see the big change here for all the work being done. But the result will be something nice I am sure.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

biggie
Site Admin

Re: Summer 2023 Construction

Unread post by biggie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:33 am

I have to run up in the next few weeks to take a neighbor/friend's rising senior as App is her first choice and want to show her around. Been a while since I've walked around everywhere so should be interesting.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:01 am

Which Physics professors were retiring? I think all of the guys that were there when I was are already gone. I just looked up the faculty and saw some of my old guys are still on list but all retired. Hard to take all the pronouns though. Easy to see where our education system is going.
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:50 am

Wey and Duncan to start soon. Time was extended so people could move out. Bodenheimer gravel lot already surveyed for Innovation. Rayley addition scheduled still for fall. Campus dining renderings look fantastic

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:49 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:01 am
Which Physics professors were retiring? I think all of the guys that were there when I was are already gone. I just looked up the faculty and saw some of my old guys are still on list but all retired. Hard to take all the pronouns though. Easy to see where our education system is going.
Dr. Allen is retiring after 33 years and moving away from the area. Dr Gray was at App 34 years and has emeritus status as he mentioned he got to keep his email. His is planning to stay in the Boone area and continue astronomy research.

Dr. Gray was one of my favorite professors and I had him for astronomy. Dr. Allen was the professor I got to know much better after graduation and I was a guest to her physics practicum class a few times.

Personally I love the pronouns. They are not teaching a bunch of fuzzy feel good stuff but hard science (in a few senses of the word) and if knowing how to address someone as they wish to be addressed makes relationships easier then all the better.

My email signature has my preferred pronouns in support of my students that need that support and enough do since they do not get that at home. They need it from someone. I also have a statement about acknowledgement of native/first nation land use on the UNCG campus. I have some students that have some amount of ancestry with native peoples and they deserve support as well.

If it helps build relationships then it should not be a concern.

Which and when did you have physics classes/which professors?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:10 pm

Here's a link where you can click to different ongoing soon-to-be-going or wishlist campus projects. They updated it a lot more when West Side construction was ongoing, but there's still bits and pieces updated here and there.

https://www.appstate.edu/appalachians-f ... structure/

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:15 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:01 am
Dr. Allen is retiring after 33 years and moving away from the area. Dr Gray was at App 34 years and has emeritus status as he mentioned he got to keep his email. His is planning to stay in the Boone area and continue astronomy research.

Dr. Gray was one of my favorite professors and I had him for astronomy. Dr. Allen was the professor I got to know much better after graduation and I was a guest to her physics practicum class a few times.

Personally I love the pronouns. They are not teaching a bunch of fuzzy feel good stuff but hard science (in a few senses of the word) and if knowing how to address someone as they wish to be addressed makes relationships easier then all the better.

My email signature has my preferred pronouns in support of my students that need that support and enough do since they do not get that at home. They need it from someone. I also have a statement about acknowledgement of native/first nation land use on the UNCG campus. I have some students that have some amount of ancestry with native peoples and they deserve support as well.

If it helps build relationships then it should not be a concern.

Which and when did you have physics classes/which professors?
I was there with Rokoske, Mamola, Connolly, et al. Rokoske was my mentor. He was the best.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:51 pm

Connolly passed away a few years ago.

Rokoske is still in Boone I think but was not at the reception. I did see him at an NCS-AAPT meeting in 2014 App hosted and I made sure App was hosting again before I stepped away from NCS president and retire. They are hosting again this fall. I hope he is able to attend the Friday dinner.

Mamola moved to Portland, OR a few years ago. His daughter and grandson live there I do believe based on Facebook posts. He had an article published in a recent Physics Teacher magazine. His grandson was part of the cover photo i think.

Edit
et al: Pollock retired a few years ago and not long after retirement passed away in 2022. From his obituary "A minor planet was named “Joepollock” in recognition of his contributions to the study of the properties of asteroids."

Nicklin, I have no idea about. That man still intimidates me, though he loved the Far Side.

Caton mentioned he might retire in a year or two but who knows. He does a ton of outreach so I hope someone picks that up if he retires.

Clements is still there but I did not see him at the reception. He should also be getting close to retirement as he has been at App around 35 years I think.

Everyone else is pretty much new to me though I have had a chance to work with a few such as Dr. Coffey and the Secondary Ed program.

The department is huge now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”