Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

RIP Jim Jones

scatman77

RIP Jim Jones

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 pm

Sadly our former athletic director and tennis coach Mr. Jim Jones passed away peacefully early this morning. He had been in hospice care.

He replaced Mr. Roy Clogston in the early 70s, made the hire of Bobby Cremins.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: RIP Jim Jones

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:32 am

scatman77 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 pm
Sadly our former athletic director and tennis coach Mr. Jim Jones passed away peacefully early this morning. He had been in hospice care.

I'll never forget the morning that Ken Peacock carried a baby goat into Jones' 8:00 am Not-for-profit accounting course and put it on the desk. Jones stepped back with a stunned look on his face; the goat put it's front feet up on the lectern, and Peacock said, "Look, Jones, these kids can't tell any difference between the new goat and the old goat." The next semester, Peacock dressed in an Easter Bunny costume and hopped into Jones' classroom passing out candy.

Jim was a curmudgeon, but I liked him. RIP.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:03 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:32 am
scatman77 wrote:

I'll never forget the morning that Ken Peacock carried a baby goat into Jones' 8:00 am Not-for-profit accounting course and put it on the desk. Jones stepped back with a stunned look on his face; the goat put it's front feet up on the lectern, and Peacock said, "Look, Jones, these kids can't tell any difference between the new goat and the old goat." The next semester, Peacock dressed in an Easter Bunny costume and hopped into Jones' classroom passing out candy.

Although I did not have him for a class, he was still there when I was in grad school. Accounting professor and AD during career. Wonder how many resumes have that from a decent size university.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:12 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:32 am
scatman77 wrote:

That is a fantastic story. I miss seeing Peacock being carried around by students.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:42 am

Had Jim Jones for right many accounting courses in the 60's undergraduate and graduate school. I loved accounting. Thank you Mr. Jones for the good memories.

AppState80

Unread post by AppState80 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:49 pm

Worked the athletic department on a shoe string budget, most sports teams won conference championships during his administration. As tennis coach, his NAIA teams were consistently ranked top 10 in the country and after jumping to Southern Conference ASU players regularly qualified for year end NCAA Tournament. Inducted into multiple HOF's. A life well lived.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:35 pm

I had Jim Jones for Not for Profit Accounting. Like someone above said, he was a big of a curmudgeon but a really good guy. He sure gave a lot to App State! Thank you, Mr. Jones! Rest in Peace!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”