Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Krispy Kreme Closes Boone Store

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Re: Krispy Kreme Closes Boone Store

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:22 am

Was happy when one came to Harrisonburg, but the Hot Now sign is hardly on these days, and the parking lot and drive thru line seem to always be empty when I drive past. Not sure if that location will remain open either, however I do always see trucks outside, which I assume is to deliver to local grocery stores, so maybe that will keep things running.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:33 am

Good news here. 1 chain restaurant down, about 15 more to go. Too bad it’s such an ugly building.

Those needing a donut fix have a couple of great local options in the community.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:43 am

IM4ASU wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:47 am
Guess I'm lucky to live in Winston where I have several locations to choose from, lol.
Even around here it is bad that they can't keep products in stock and look like they are short staffed. Went to the Clemmons store last week, they had a list at the order speaker saying they had like 8 types of donuts and 1 of those was out as well.

Would hope they don't close stores in the hometown of the company. Weirdly I did go to the only KK in Hawaii when there a few years ago.

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:47 am

This is bad news as i love KK but believe it or not back in the early 80s the very best doughnuts anywhere were made right in the kitchen of the old ASU cafeteria. They had the equipment and know who to make them perfectly. In fact whenever I was going home my family always requested i bring a dozen or so home with me.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:49 am

KK is slowly heading towards extinction. Rising costs and labor shortages are killing them. Some of the individual specialty donuts are over $2.00 each now. I love the chocolate iced crème filled but not going to pay 2 bucks for a stale one that’s been sitting out for hours.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:51 am

In my 67 years on earth there are no doughnuts better than the ones from the Carolina Pharmacy back in the day! Made fresh every morning, (maple, vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, etc.) Mixed and baked fresh, homemade!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:55 am

Hate to see businesses closing but as the old saying goes, a door opens and a door closes. So, maybe a local doughnut shop can see the potential in the space and take a run at it, or if not a doughnut shop perhaps another local operation will pop-up. I've always enjoyed KK, or any doughnut really (not super picky about my sweets), but I must admit that I almost never visit my local KK here in Hickory. I have a FANTASTIC local shop only about half a mile or so from the house called Doughnut Life, owned by a great hard-working family, who makes the BEST doughnuts in town, hands-down. So, if any of y'all are ever in Hickory head towards the Viewmont section of town and find Doughnut Life and you'll be in for a treat. Just make sure to get there before lunch if you can, because they close up shop once they run out for the day, and often times they don't see 2/3:00 pm. They're that good!

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:19 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:55 am
Hate to see businesses closing but as the old saying goes, a door opens and a door closes. So, maybe a local doughnut shop can see the potential in the space and take a run at it, or if not a doughnut shop perhaps another local operation will pop-up. I've always enjoyed KK, or any doughnut really (not super picky about my sweets), but I must admit that I almost never visit my local KK here in Hickory. I have a FANTASTIC local shop only about half a mile or so from the house called Doughnut Life, owned by a great hard-working family, who makes the BEST doughnuts in town, hands-down. So, if any of y'all are ever in Hickory head towards the Viewmont section of town and find Doughnut Life and you'll be in for a treat. Just make sure to get there before lunch if you can, because they close up shop once they run out for the day, and often times they don't see 2/3:00 pm. They're that good!
I’ve heard nothing but good things about that place but haven’t been yet.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:22 pm

My heart broke when Granny’s Doughnut closed.
Bring Your A Game!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:21 pm

The kk behind cvcc is a rocking place most mornings. I enjoy most sweets, but I have never gotten into the cakey style of donuts. I do blame this on KK as it was the only thing around growing up, so that light, air-filled ring of dough is what I crave when I want one. Donut Life in Viewont on hwy 127 is a good one if you like the denser style of dough ring.
Seriously though, I can still pound a 12 pack if I'm mindlessly snacking on them while doing something else.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:18 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:21 pm
The kk behind cvcc is a rocking place most mornings. I enjoy most sweets, but I have never gotten into the cakey style of donuts. I do blame this on KK as it was the only thing around growing up, so that light, air-filled ring of dough is what I crave when I want one. Donut Life in Viewont on hwy 127 is a good one if you like the denser style of dough ring.
Seriously though, I can still pound a 12 pack if I'm mindlessly snacking on them while doing something else.
Same..
KK was all I had growing as my parents were not DD people. Some of the local places in Boone have good donuts....buy when I need a fix, it is KK that is the fixer. The KK minis takes it to another level. 😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:23 pm

Now we can have a Starbucks on each side of 321, one on King St, and 2 on campus!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:28 pm

Lord, we don’t need another gas station, car wash, or auto parts store.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:38 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:51 am
In my 67 years on earth there are no doughnuts better than the ones from the Carolina Pharmacy back in the day! Made fresh every morning, (maple, vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, etc.) Mixed and baked fresh, homemade!
I agree WM. An African-American gentleman named Ken cooked them in the basement. They were the best I ever had anywhere, anytime, or at any price.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:10 pm

The gentleman lived on Junaluska Road, just up the road from The Harmons (as in Jerry Harmon, app kicker in early 70s) and our home. I believe his last name was a Whittington.

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:39 am

Carolina pharmacy donuts were great.Cake style with various flavor toppings and good coffee. Some friends and I sang Southbound passenger train to Doc and Merle around 1977 at the next booth.None of us could carry a tune in a bucket with 2 handles.Doc still liked it. :lol:

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:02 am

Tru2ASU wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:23 pm
Now we can have a Starbucks on each side of 321, one on King St, and 2 on campus!
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:08 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:02 am
Tru2ASU wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:23 pm
…For everything.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:43 am

In our hometown, Starbucks built a new location on a well-traveled road. They closed this location in three years later when the economy pooped the bed. Dunkin Donuts quickly moved in. Now Starbucks is building a new location on the same road...right across from the old location.

Your idea of Starbucks opening another location where KK was is actually not a bad idea. At least the drive-thru lines would be a little shorter. And more revolutionaries would have a place to camp out with their laptop all day.

On another note, I've always wanted to try Local Lion and I drive by there on a regular basis. But it's always packed.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:08 am

I mean I could definitely see it on both sides of 321, and the new rumor is 2 Starbucks on campus, one on each side of the campus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”