Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Krispy Kreme Closes Boone Store

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Krispy Kreme Closes Boone Store

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:07 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:10 pm
The gentleman lived on Junaluska Road, just up the road from The Harmons (as in Jerry Harmon, app kicker in early 70s) and our home. I believe his last name was a Whittington.
All I know is he went by Ken in there. As to jerry Harmon, I used to substitute a bit at Watauga High when I was a senior at App. Jerry was in Dr Greene's class along with Ben Thalheimer and Phil Ginn who later became a big time state judge in Raleigh. State Level not district, region nor county. Jerry Harmon rose up to a high level with the NC State Employees Credit Union. Incidentally, I was at the ECU game in Boone when he kicked the winning field goal. He was a straight on kicker, not soccer style.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:44 am

Jerry was a senior at Watauga when I was a freshmen. My oldest brother and Jerry would hang out together (being from the same neighborhood) and I'd be the little brother that tagged along. Jerry and my brother (one year older than Jerry) were football players at Watauga, they won the conference title my brother's senior year. I was a wrestler at Watauga, conference champs for approximately thirty straight years dating back to when Steve Gabriel coached. Coach Brown, my coach, was mentored/coached by Coach Gabriel. Coach Gabriel coached at App and is in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. PS - Last I heard of Ben Thalheimer (a Watauga Wrestler too) he went to Purdue and Phil Ginn (no comment). Now that everyone knows my life story I'll shut up now, blah blah blah. :)

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:21 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:44 am
Jerry was a senior at Watauga when I was a freshmen. My oldest brother and Jerry would hang out together (being from the same neighborhood) and I'd be the little brother that tagged along. Jerry and my brother (one year older than Jerry) were football players at Watauga, they won the conference title my brother's senior year. I was a wrestler at Watauga, conference champs for approximately thirty straight years dating back to when Steve Gabriel coached. Coach Brown, my coach, was mentored/coached by Coach Gabriel. Coach Gabriel coached at App and is in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. PS - Last I heard of Ben Thalheimer (a Watauga Wrestler too) he went to Purdue and Phil Ginn (no comment). Now that everyone knows my life story I'll shut up now, blah blah blah. :)
The Gabriels were brothers. Steve.. I believe was also Financial Aid Director when I enrolled at App, Fall of 1966. Phil was extremely intelligent and really quiet. This was when US History was primarily for Juniors. Thalhiemer was related to the Thalhimer heirs of department store chain. Stood to receive tons of inheritance.
Google SUX

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:51 pm

Truth be known, I dated Steve's daughter (Rebekah - I believe that's how she spelled it) in high school. Shortly after graduation I enlisted in the Air Force. Once when I was home on leave I "ran" into Rebekah at Antlers (local bar). She asked how I liked the service and indicated that her uncle was also in the Air Force. I asked who he was and where he was stationed. She said something to the effect, "Oh, he's a general somewhere", really! LOL Come to find out he was a four star general (Charles Gabriel) and the Chief of Staff. LMAO By the way, in the short 3 months that we dated I knew nothing about her uncle.
Last edited by WataugaMan on Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:21 pm

Seems to me if there are 2 Starbuck’s on campus that at least one KK is justified. Is there already a good doughnut on campus?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:22 am

Don't be surprised if more stores close. Seems they are changing their business model...

https://bestlifeonline.com/krispy-kreme-closing-news/

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:54 am

APEXAPP89 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:29 pm
Last few trips there they never had enough workers to open the doors. Drive through only. What the hell is wrong with these kids not working??? Boone is a college town and 20K students should be working part time jobs for spending money. I blame parents for allowing these kids not to have to work for their spending money at least. Stop coddling the future leaders of our country. Work never hurt anyone!! Amazes me that so many businesses especially restaurants all need help with workers.
Old man yells at clouds

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:41 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:51 pm
Truth be known, I dated Steve's daughter (Rebekah - I believe that's how she spelled it) in high school. Shortly after graduation I enlisted in the Air Force. Once when I was home on leave I "ran" into Rebekah at Antlers (local bar). She asked how I liked the service and indicated that her uncle was also in the Air Force. I asked who he was and where he was stationed. She said something to the effect, "Oh, he's a general somewhere", really! LOL Come to find out he was a four star general (Charles Gabriel) and the Chief of Staff. LMAO By the way, in the short 3 months that we dated I knew nothing about her uncle.

What I was referencing was that Shirley Gabriel ( a man) and Steve Gabriel were related. Shirley may have already passed away by the time I met Steve the one time in in the Financial Aid office. However I did know that Steve was involved in wrestling program in some way in the past. It was about January of '67 the only time I met him. He arranged for me to get an NDEA /scholarship loan. It was for prospective teachers. As to Antlers, the only one I knew about was in Blowing Rock. Just basically a beer bar. I never drank, just heard about it.
Google SUX

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:55 am

My mother-in-law worked at SECU for years and Jerry was her manager's boss (this was back in the 90's). She absolutely loved working with Jerry, said he was an awesome guy. Is he living in Boone?

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:02 am

OK, back on topic. I noticed the New York Deli (in strip mall near the Boone Mall) has closed.

Our good friends from NYC (de facto experts on all things delicatessen) said it wasn't really that great. That's a shame...if the guy had done it right, he could've stayed open from May until Halloween only and had all the business he wanted from the Florida people.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:11 am

Bootsy wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:55 am
My mother-in-law worked at SECU for years and Jerry was her manager's boss (this was back in the 90's). She absolutely loved working with Jerry, said he was an awesome guy. Is he living in Boone?
I believe he lives in Wilkesboro.

IM4ASU

Unread post by IM4ASU » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:20 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:43 am
IM4ASU wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:47 am
Guess I'm lucky to live in Winston where I have several locations to choose from, lol.
Even around here it is bad that they can't keep products in stock and look like they are short staffed. Went to the Clemmons store last week, they had a list at the order speaker saying they had like 8 types of donuts and 1 of those was out as well.

Would hope they don't close stores in the hometown of the company. Weirdly I did go to the only KK in Hawaii when there a few years ago.
Just went by the Clemmons location and they were out of my favorite, raspberry.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:10 pm

We have 4 Dunkin Donuts in Mooresville that are always out of whatever you want or stale if they have it plus bad service. The closest Krispy Kreme is Concord Mills 30 minutes away.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:44 pm

All this talk of KK I decided to go by the one in Gastonia tonight - they were closed because of an electrical problem. No sugar rush.
Bring Your A Game!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:44 am

My wife is making a KK run right now and I’m happy.
Give 'em hell!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:17 am

You're wife is making the KK run. There is much to unpack here. It is great to be you...and chivalry is dead...😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”