Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hotel to replace portifino

appdaze

Hotel to replace portifino

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:51 pm

It'll be a tight squeeze but I guess it will be worth it. Gotta think prices will be wild on game weekends.

https://theappalachianonline.com/plans- ... portofino/

Saint3333

Re: Hotel to replace portifino

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:44 pm

Should do well, walkable to restaurants. 10 years from now Boone will become more upper class than many would like to see. It's a trend that isn't likely to stop, the secret leaked out a decade ago and is spreading like bacteria.

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:50 pm

The town of Boone (specifically the town council) has done an awful lot to stunt the growth of the area for a long long time. Blowing Rock is beautiful. Banner Elk is beautiful. Boone...kinda dumpy. It's because they've dug their heels in and fought gentrification tooth and nail. If they could ever change their tactics and let more outside money in but manage the way growth looks (like a historic preservation society does) Boone would be incredible.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:24 pm

With the new owners at the Horton Hotel, the have raised prices on game weekends and just overall rates and seem to be doing well. Seems to indicate that another boutique hotel is needed. Be nice if bottom floor has bar as well as a rooftop bar. We like the rooftop bar at The Horton. We do not stay as much as we used to as I am a cheap bast@# .
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:34 pm

Horton really has something special with the views from their rooftop bar.
That's a great scene and I'm sure we'll see several more of these establishments pop up on the Boone skyline in the next 5 years.

Someone remind me...doesn't App's master growth plan have a hotel/conference center going in where Legends sits now?

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:47 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:44 pm
Should do well, walkable to restaurants. 10 years from now Boone will become more upper class than many would like to see. It's a trend that isn't likely to stop, the secret leaked out a decade ago and is spreading like bacteria.
I’ve noticed this season, boone kind of has a restaurant problem; if you want something beyond pub food. ODB has closed all season at like 5pm, booneshine is packed, black cat is packed, lost province (good luck getting in there), etc. i feel like we need a couple more local quality options around campus; especially if a hotel goes there.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:17 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:47 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:44 pm
I’ve noticed this season, boone kind of has a restaurant problem; if you want something beyond pub food. ODB has closed all season at like 5pm, booneshine is packed, black cat is packed, lost province (good luck getting in there), etc. i feel like we need a couple more local quality options around campus; especially if a hotel goes there.
We ate at Wild Craft on Sunday before the basketball game. Great food, but they are limited on seating on cold days.

Boone also has a post basketball game dinner problem. Even Troy's was closed Saturday night by the time we arrived back at our car and started driving. That may have been another issue that limited the crowd.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:43 pm

My guess is within a few years of completion they will wish they had twice that number of rooms or more, though historic standards may restrict it.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:30 am

BayouApp wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:43 pm
My guess is within a few years of completion they will wish they had twice that number of rooms or more, though historic standards may restrict it.
i would guess that parking would come into play. The Horton uses a gravel lot across the street behind the hotel.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:41 am

boonetown1 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:47 pm
Admittedly, I didn't go to many restaurants as a student because I had no money. However, I think Boone struggles mightily with an insanely disproportionate student to resident ratio. With 18k residents and 20k students, it's hard to support a full time restaurant year-round in Boone with all the breaks students get. I'm not saying it can't be done (see Blowing Rock), but I think it was AppDiesel that said something about the fight against gentrification in Boone in another thread and I agree with that. Unfortunately, you get the "student" restaurants (aka pubs and fast food), and the nicer restaurants in Blowing Rock. There are a few in Boone but they're very spread out.

I literally just got back from a Blowing Rock trip with a few buddies and I was amazed at that downtown for such a small place.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:03 am

Right. Blowing Rock has an elevated cohesive look. When you drive in from 321 it’s stunning. Boone is so far behind on upgrading facades all over town.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:01 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:03 am
Right. Blowing Rock has an elevated cohesive look. When you drive in from 321 it’s stunning. Boone is so far behind on upgrading facades all over town.
I think more than anything it’s the landscaping and the park that make Blowing Rock look so good. Kings St doesn’t have that space. I would like to see Boone keep its rustic, college town look but I agree it could be dressed up some.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:12 pm

Clean up Hippy Hill and the town instantly looks 1000x better.
Give 'em hell!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:09 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fair points, but you also have to congratulate Blowing Rock for intentionally working towards its current image for the past 15 years.

When I attended App back in the early 90's, Blowing Rock reminded me a lot of Mt. Airy. That definitely isn't a bad thing and I sort of liked it better that way. But the town recognized the shift in visitor demographics and responded in kind to gentrify and attract more of those of folks.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:22 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:09 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Fair points, but you also have to congratulate Blowing Rock for intentionally working towards its current image for the past 15 years.

When I attended App back in the early 90's, Blowing Rock reminded me a lot of Mt. Airy. That definitely isn't a bad thing and I sort of liked it better that way. But the town recognized the shift in visitor demographics and responded in kind to gentrify and attract more of those of folks.
west jefferson is on same path as BR. nice downtown catering to tourism. they know what they got so to speak
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:04 pm

Can’t remember where I heard/read it but the difference is Blowing Rock is mostly home ownership while Boone is rental.
Bring Your A Game!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:35 pm

I really think a big reason for the shift in Blowing Rock is that Boone got liquor by the drink so the students stopped making the drive to go to the bars. That place rolls up the streets at 10 with the exception of Town Tavern. When I was at App, there were many bars pouring until 2 am. Students stopped spending money on booze so Blowing Rock adapted and targeted well healed tourists. But I disagree that Boone only has student type of restaurants, there are a lot of very good places to eat in downtown (way more than when I was in school). In addition to some that have already been mentioned there is Vidalia's, the Local, Proper, Cobo which all has really good food. There is also Ransom which is more bar fare but it is usually easy to get into and of course Lost Province, and the others. I actually find downtown Boone to have more options for good food than downtown Blowing Rock.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”