Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Roll 'Neers

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Roll 'Neers

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:38 am

This is a good opinion piece which I agree with....

https://www.hcpress.com/app-state/roll- ... -that.html

appst89
Site Admin

Re: Roll 'Neers

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:41 am

I support the death of Roll 'Neers as well.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:46 am

Yes, yes, yes! What a well written article and I couldn't agree more. Whoever is using that phrase just needs to stop, it sounds ridiculous. It does bring up an issue though, our school lacks a consistent catch phrase/greeting/cheer/whatever you want to call it. Lots of schools have it, the article mentioned just a few but there are plenty of others like, Go Gators, War Eagle, etc. I really think App State needs a consistent phrase that is marketable that our fans can relay to one another. To me the easiest is a simple Go App(s)! It really conveys everything in two simple words.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:57 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:46 am
Yes, yes, yes! What a well written article and I couldn't agree more. Whoever is using that phrase just needs to stop, it sounds ridiculous. It does bring up an issue though, our school lacks a consistent catch phrase/greeting/cheer/whatever you want to call it. Lots of schools have it, the article mentioned just a few but there are plenty of others like, Go Gators, War Eagle, etc. I really think App State needs a consistent phrase that is marketable that our fans can relay to one another. To me the easiest is a simple Go App(s)! It really conveys everything in two simple words.
Agreed. I've been using Go Apps since I was in school. I think it's perfect.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:05 am

On a similar note, while listening to the App game last Saturday over the radio there was a commercial that made me cringe. Not sure what the commercial was about because I stopped listening quickly. It started out with two people listening to an App game. One of the individuals said, "Go Mountaineers" vice "Go Apps", I might be too old fashioned but that's taboo.
Last edited by WataugaMan on Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:13 am

This article…..I can’t love it enough but I know here in a minute someone is gonna wade in and call anyone who doesn’t like Roll Neers, which is like nails down a chalkboard to me, a boomer. So Let me turn it around. Imagine some undergrad in Tuscaloosa making a push for people to replace Roll Tide with Go Alabama. They would be run out of town. Everyone in the country knows who Roll Tide belongs to. I’d argue if we stick with Go App(s) like we always have, we have a unique enough name that we’d be synonymous with that as well. The moral of the story is Roll Neers cannot die soon enough.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:35 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:13 am
This article…..I can’t love it enough and I know here in a minute someone is gonna wade in and call anyone who doesn’t like Roll Neers, which is like nails down a chalkboard to me, a boomer. Let me turn it around. Imagine some undergrad in Tuscaloosa making a push for people to replace Roll Tide with Go Alabama. They would be run out of town. Everyone in the country knows who Roll Tide belongs to. I’d argue if we stick with Go App(s) like we always have, we have a unique enough name that we’d be synonymous with that as well. The moral of the story is Roll Neers cannot die soon enough.
Spot on. 10,000 likes to this.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 am

This slogan is the primary impediment to us being invited to a P5 conference. It sounds like Alabama's little brother. 😂

Some chants are iconic. When you think "Roll"..it follows with Tide...War Eagle, etc

Although I do not personally care for it. If the fans are loud, do what they need to do.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:59 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 am
This slogan is the primary impediment to us being invited to a P5 conference. It sounds like Alabama's little brother. 😂

Some chants are iconic. When you think "Roll"..it follows with Tide...War Eagle, etc

Although I do not personally care for it. If the fans are loud, do what they need to do.
Please Lord do not let us start a Roll…..Neers…. Chant at a game

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:53 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:59 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 am

Please Lord do not let us start a Roll…..Neers…. Chant at a game
Let's not get crazy. A Roll ...Neers "chant"instead of App...State...I may have to give up my NEZ seats if that happens...got to draw the line in the sand somewhere,😂
#99ForPresident!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:20 pm

There's always a correlation where if you like the premise of a column, you think it's well written and the author did a good job. But if you don't, the author is a hack and didn't do their research.

As for me, I dislike Roll Neers. If Auburn won half a dozen titles in the last 13 years, it likely would be "War Damn Neers." But man that column is annoying. It takes four paragraphs and several hundred words to get to the crux of his complaint. And he says that he's only been a full-time resident of the High Country for less than a year? That really doesn't help. It's a classic "Old Man Yells at Cloud" column. Even if the author isn't "old" in the classical sense, they're older than most the people living there. As someone who lived there for a decade post-graduation, trust me, you feel old.

The Chancellor uses Roll Neers. Students like using it and at the end of the day, the students are the heartbeat of a university. They're going to do things and trends that us older people won't like, but we can't and won't change it. I could list things I'd wish would change about the fandom and the students which are way more important than this, but it's not my decision. Ultimately it's harmless. And at the end of the day, those students will look at message board threads like this and will laugh at what they feel are the "Boomer Neers." And nothing changes.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:46 pm

I’ve found in my experience that “fans” using Roll ‘Neers are often also UNC first fans. So if you say Roll ‘Neers, you’re probably an Eric Church lover.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:50 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:20 pm
There's always a correlation where if you like the premise of a column, you think it's well written and the author did a good job. But if you don't, the author is a hack and didn't do their research.

As for me, I dislike Roll Neers. If Auburn won half a dozen titles in the last 13 years, it likely would be "War Damn Neers." But man that column is annoying. It takes four paragraphs and several hundred words to get to the crux of his complaint. And he says that he's only been a full-time resident of the High Country for less than a year? That really doesn't help. It's a classic "Old Man Yells at Cloud" column. Even if the author isn't "old" in the classical sense, they're older than most the people living there. As someone who lived there for a decade post-graduation, trust me, you feel old.

The Chancellor uses Roll Neers. Students like using it and at the end of the day, the students are the heartbeat of a university. They're going to do things and trends that us older people won't like, but we can't and won't change it. I could list things I'd wish would change about the fandom and the students which are way more important than this, but it's not my decision. Ultimately it's harmless. And at the end of the day, those students will look at message board threads like this and will laugh at what they feel are the "Boomer Neers." And nothing changes.
The article was meandering for sure but riddle me this as it’s always the argument and it always makes me laugh. so we as “old people” which I assume means anyone over 30 should just check our opinion of things at the door, but if you are a teenager then your opinion should be revered as gospel. I’m no where close to being a “boomer” which has somehow now become conflated with out of touch ignorance, but I grow weary of the I should shut up and let the kids own the discourse. Obviously this topic is not serious and I don’t think anyone takes it that seriously but I do bristle a little at the tone of “the grown ups should silence their opinion”. I think we’ve all worked pretty hard to establish ourselves in life and thus have opinions that are every bit as valid as our younger mountaineer brother and sisters. And traditions become just that because each new generation learns from the previous one. That’s not “old men yelling at clouds”

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:57 pm

T-Dog wrote:

That column is a concentrated dose of Old Man Yells at Cloud. And no, it's not well written. I'm glad you were the first to say it so I didn't have to be.

I'm of the age that I'm too old to say Roll Neers but not old enough to be triggered by it. If I'm wearing an App shirt and someone says "Roll Neers" to me, I'm just glad to get a shout out from a fellow App. I give them a "Go App" or whatever and move on, my mood appropriately brightened.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:21 pm

T-Dog wrote:

App State, you are better than “Roll Neers.” You have enough history, success, and heart to be boldly and uniquely App State. Today, coaches at App State encourage their athletes by saying, “Today I give my all to App State.”

R.I.P. “Roll ‘Neers.”

"Today I give my all for Appalachian State" is the correct statement not what was written in this article. So I agree that there are problems with this article.

contenderv07

Unread post by contenderv07 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:37 pm

on a side note, why has the band started spelling APP instead of ASU at the beginning of the game?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:42 pm

That is what App. St is branding to. App. State. For band, APP for short.
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:21 pm
T-Dog wrote:

App State, you are better than “Roll Neers.” You have enough history, success, and heart to be boldly and uniquely App State. Today, coaches at App State encourage their athletes by saying, “Today I give my all to App State.”

R.I.P. “Roll ‘Neers.”

"Today I give my all for Appalachian State" is the correct statement not what was written in this article. So I agree that there are problems with this article.
This so reminds of the whole "Appy" debate. Literally, everyone I know always asks about how did Appy do? I never use the term when describing our school but I'm not offended when they use it. Likewise, I have never said "Roll Neers" and likely never will but could care less if someone wants to use that phrase. I'm far more concerned what team shows up Wednesday than if some one yells "Roll Neers" at the game.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:46 pm

contenderv07 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:37 pm
on a side note, why has the band started spelling APP instead of ASU at the beginning of the game?
Had not noticed that, but Athletics (not sure about the university overall) has moved away from "ASU" branding, to the point that their media notes specifically ask NOT to refer to us as ASU. Right up there with "Appy State" and "app-uh-LAY-chin."

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:19 pm

It’s definitely a bye week.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”