Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Mountain Brew - App beer

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Mountain Brew - App beer

Unread post by biggie » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:06 pm

BallantyneApp

Re: Mountain Brew - App beer

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:54 pm

Is AMB no longer making Yosef Golden?
Why did we partner with a Raleigh brewery when Booneshine is right there and making damn decent beer?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:06 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:54 pm
Is AMB no longer making Yosef Golden?
Why did we partner with a Raleigh brewery when Booneshine is right there and making damn decent beer?
I would imagine that R&D has better distribution opportunities and capabilities. Would have been nice for a Boone or High Country brewery to get the deal but business is business. I'd like to know the reasons too but I'm not going to automatically assume anything nefarious or conspiratorial. (Not saying you did.)
WE ARE YOSEF!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:06 pm

Or what about collaborating with the two App alum owned breweries in Charlotte? They collaborated last year for a beer, would be cool if they did one for App football.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:10 pm

I suspect that we went with whoever would give us the best deal financially.....

That's a great looking can!

I was never that impressed with the Yosef Gold. AMB is owned by Anheuser Busch now so maybe they weren't interested.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:16 am

I assume that we're going to be basically receiving the same R&D product used for Storm Brew and Deacon Brew. GoAPPS93 and Highland are both right about this one...R&D is going to be willing to put in the leg work to secure better off the mtn distribution deals than AMB had with Yosef Ale, especially since AB took over and cares a little less about what amounts to basically specialized contract brewing. Better distribution means more $ for R&D as well so I'm sure they'll work hard to get this in gas stations and and Dollar Generals and neighborhood pubs, something AMB just didn't have the time or care to really push with Yosef Ale.

Sheer brewing capacity was probably a limiting factor for AMB as well, and I imagine that R&D simply offered a better deal financially than what Booneshine or Lost Province could provide. Not sure Lost Province would even be interested. Assume Booneshine was, but just couldn't make the numbers (financial or canning capacity) work.

If it's the same beer as Storm Brew then I think it will appeal to "more of the masses" inside KBS and also be a much cheaper (and available in 6-packs) beer for a person to pick up at their neighborhood grocery store and down while chilling at the house. Inside KBS it should be cheaper as well. I believe Storm Brew is $5 at PNC Arena for the Hurricanes. If that pricing holds at KBS then it'll be a lot more palatable than the $11 (I think) Yosef Ale was last season. Personally, the Storm Brew isn't quite as tasty as Yosef Ale but it's a decent beer in the vein of a Miller Light and at the price point, and at a ballgame, I'm not sure I wouldn't actually prefer it.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:43 am

Mountain Ale is already listed on their website. Storm brew is listed as lager and Mountain brew is listed as an ale so they should be different. Storm Brew is my go to at ‘Canes games. I haven’t been to R&D’s tap room, Seven Saturdays, yet, but it’s on my list. The can looks great!
WE ARE YOSEF!

KingStLocal

Unread post by KingStLocal » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:58 am

I think this deal will be better for us long term than partnering with amb or booneshine. Would be great to see 4-6 packs available across the state and not just in boone

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:22 am

1BAC868E-B0D4-4F5F-9A9D-B3E01BC23400.jpeg
How ‘bout a 12 pack?
WE ARE YOSEF!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:18 am

Hopefully taste better than Milwaukee Be"a"st...the beer of choice for the beer bong when I was a freshman in college...the only way to drink that beer...😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:19 am

Does R&D distribute in Charlotte? Never seen them at Harris Teeter or Whole Foods, nor Brawley’s or Salud. Not even at Total Wine.

I see AMB all over the place. I’m glad they got a great financial deal, but it’s not even hitting the heaviest App market.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:21 am

Would love to see a choice of the three. Dump the water beers….

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:33 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:19 am
Does R&D distribute in Charlotte? Never seen them at Harris Teeter or Whole Foods, nor Brawley’s or Salud. Not even at Total Wine.

I see AMB all over the place. I’m glad they got a great financial deal, but it’s not even hitting the heaviest App market.
on twitter the brewery said they'd be launching their Charlotte distribution next week.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:18 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:16 am
I assume that we're going to be basically receiving the same R&D product used for Storm Brew and Deacon Brew. GoAPPS93 and Highland are both right about this one...R&D is going to be willing to put in the leg work to secure better off the mtn distribution deals than AMB had with Yosef Ale, especially since AB took over and cares a little less about what amounts to basically specialized contract brewing. Better distribution means more $ for R&D as well so I'm sure they'll work hard to get this in gas stations and and Dollar Generals and neighborhood pubs, something AMB just didn't have the time or care to really push with Yosef Ale.

Sheer brewing capacity was probably a limiting factor for AMB as well, and I imagine that R&D simply offered a better deal financially than what Booneshine or Lost Province could provide. Not sure Lost Province would even be interested. Assume Booneshine was, but just couldn't make the numbers (financial or canning capacity) work.

If it's the same beer as Storm Brew then I think it will appeal to "more of the masses" inside KBS and also be a much cheaper (and available in 6-packs) beer for a person to pick up at their neighborhood grocery store and down while chilling at the house. Inside KBS it should be cheaper as well. I believe Storm Brew is $5 at PNC Arena for the Hurricanes. If that pricing holds at KBS then it'll be a lot more palatable than the $11 (I think) Yosef Ale was last season. Personally, the Storm Brew isn't quite as tasty as Yosef Ale but it's a decent beer in the vein of a Miller Light and at the price point, and at a ballgame, I'm not sure I wouldn't actually prefer it.
Good summary. Storm Brew is, if I'm being honest, not very good - but at $5 a can, I've learned to like it. It also helps that they have dedicated carts that only sell it, which is much better than waiting in a concession window line.

I actually liked Yosef Ale quite a bit, specifically for drinking at the stadium. But I gather from Twitter that it had its share of haters.

A2534

Unread post by A2534 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:24 am

I actually liked Yosef Golden. It was a seasonal find in the north Charlotte market. Glad I saved 2 for decoration in the bar room since it is done. Always look forward to trying new brew!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:18 am

A2534 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:24 am

I actually liked Yosef Golden. It was a seasonal find in the north Charlotte market. Glad I saved 2 for decoration in the bar room since it is done. Always look forward to trying new brew!
i wish i had saved some as I liked the can. My wife likes Blondes and isn't picky so she drank all I bought. I didn't care for it but i wanted to support it.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:45 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:18 am
A2534 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:24 am

i wish i had saved some as I liked the can. My wife likes Blondes and isn't picky so she drank all I bought. I didn't care for it but i wanted to support it.
You sir are a real American hero

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:47 am

We aren't the only school that has partnered with a brewery that isn't in their town. NC State's Old Tuffy is made by New Belgium in Asheville. And I'm pretty sure NC State's ag department does some sort of partnership with New Belgium with growing new hop varieties.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:50 am

Getting off topic...but you did mention NC State...that Howling Cow ice cream is dag-gone good 😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:05 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:50 am
Getting off topic...but you did mention NC State...that Howling Cow ice cream is dag-gone good 😂
Yeah it is!
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”