Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Parking for incoming freshman

CoachLewk
School: Appalachian State

Parking for incoming freshman

Unread post by CoachLewk » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:47 am

Two-time grad looking for some help for my son who will be a freshman this fall. Even though he was online at the scheduled time for freshmen to sign up for parking, he was placed on a waiting list indicating that they don't have any parking for them. I'm looking for alternative options that are not going to break the bank as we are not holding out much hope for getting off the waiting list. If anyone has feedback on possible options, I'm all ears!

AppSt94

Re: Parking for incoming freshman

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:55 am

CoachLewk wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:47 am
Two-time grad looking for some help for my son who will be a freshman this fall. Even though he was online at the scheduled time for freshmen to sign up for parking, he was placed on a waiting list indicating that they don't have any parking for them. I'm looking for alternative options that are not going to break the bank as we are not holding out much hope for getting off the waiting list. If anyone has feedback on possible options, I'm all ears!
See below from this website.

http://www.townofboone.net/337/Parking

Student Parking
The Town of Boone offers student parking located at our Daniel Boone lot, where 242 spaces are available for rent in coordination with the Appalachian State school schedule, from early August until early May. These spaces rent for $325 for the academic year. Please note that this lot does have a requirement that cars be moved on Friday afternoon and can be returned Saturday evening, to accommodate the Watauga County Farmers' Market. For more information about the Daniel Boone Lot please call Town of Boone Parking at 828-268-6229.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:05 am

Other options
"Parking & Transportation | Appalachian State University" https://parking.appstate.edu
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:09 am

wow crazy that state farm doesn't even alloy Freshman parking anymore

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:31 am

CoachLewk wrote:
All four of my recent grads didn't take cars their freshman year...

You can rent a space but it's going to cost you a couple hundred dollars a month. This really isn't the App State thing as most universities don't have room for cars for freshmen.

Obviously once the new Holmes parking lot is built that'll be another 500 spaces and then there's a future plan for a 500 or so deck in a part of the Peacock lot.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:01 pm

There is also the option of driving a motorcycle to Appalachian, special designated parking for motorcycles.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:03 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:01 pm
There is also the option of driving a motorcycle to Appalachian, special designated parking for motorcycles.
Yes, but it is very difficult to balance a motorcycle with a keg, I mean backpack, on your shoulders.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:28 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:09 am
Nothing like pulling into State Farm parking lot only to see the Appalcart bus you need to take back to campus pull out of the parking lot at the same time.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:22 pm

CoachLewk wrote:
can i ask what the general area is for visits back home?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:23 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:28 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:09 am
Nothing like pulling into State Farm parking lot only to see the Appalcart bus you need to take back to campus pull out of the parking lot at the same time.
i always enjoyed that walk from Bowie or frank before i got an apartment.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:09 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:03 pm

Yes, but it is very difficult to balance a motorcycle with a keg, I mean backpack, on your shoulders.
That's what the sidecar is for.

CoachLewk

Unread post by CoachLewk » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:45 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:22 pm
CoachLewk wrote:
We're right outside of Asheville so distance isn't too big of an issue and he can definitely survive without a vehicle his first year if needed. It's more of a convenience for weekends.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:06 am

CoachLewk wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:45 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:22 pm
CoachLewk wrote:
We're right outside of Asheville so distance isn't too big of an issue and he can definitely survive without a vehicle his first year if needed. It's more of a convenience for weekends.
Likely not very practical I know but it is possible to do this if it MUST be done and a Asheville Boone trip can't be arranged.

but Mountaineer Express North-South can get one from Boone To Newton

https://sunwaycharters.com/wp-content/u ... hure-1.pdf

Then the Greyhound leaves Newton, NC at 7:55 to Asheville arriving at 9:15 (Schedule 1541). There is a Sheetz right across from the Citgo that is the bus stop in Newton to kill the time waiting. A shame the Mountaineer Expresss does not run about an hour earlier to make this connection on Fridays.

I did not look up the return trip.

Again not overly practical but it is there in the extreme cases if there is no other option. Much easier is grabbing a ride from a student heading to Asheville, and as frustrating it is to have to say this the reality is that as a son, he is less likely to be harassed in a stranger's car and more likely to defend himself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”