Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Soccer Alum Propaganda Website

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Soccer Alum Propaganda Website

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon May 13, 2013 10:38 am

I tell myself to stop this every time I do it, but I was perusing Appfan.com this morning. Long story short, there's a blog post of theirs about Peacock's resignation and among the typical slanderous comments that you will usually find in the comment section are links to what I've found to be an anti-Cobb/Peacock/Athletics propaganda website.

It looks like the site is run by/for former ASU soccer players. Their agenda seems to be a revival of the ASU soccer program as well as moving the soccer complex back to campus, which is understandable and even admirable, but from the few links I've found as well as the body copy on the main page, it seems that such constructive causes and the complex relocation petition itself have taken a back seat to a general smear campaign against the school and the administration.

Here's the site: http://www.appstatesoccer.com/

After a historical summary of ASU soccer, the home page proceeds to blame Cobb alone for the school's inability to move the complex back to campus, citing the soccer complexes’ current location as the only reason ASU soccer is the lowest rated D-1 soccer program in North Carolina. As bias and irresponsible as that paragraph already is, whoever wrote it also decided to link Cobb's name to a familiar anti-Cobb meme from the MMB (I'm looking at you Vega. You an ex soccer player per chance?):

You can't look any further than the first page without registering as a soccer alum, but the Appfan.com comment section yielded this link:

http://www.appstatesoccer.com/uploads/d ... %20Pay.pdf

Which is a PDF version of disloyal alumnus and Ashville muckraker David Forbes' libelous piece, "Shut Up and Pay." It seems that App Soccer alums and the attention mongering "academic freedom" jockey's in Jamie Price's camp have, at least for the moment, joined forces in their mutual goal of destroying the reputation of the administration.

A few clicks from the site, to the facebook page of the group, to the page's admin has me thinking that this man is the prime suspect:

https://www.facebook.com/john.cox.7731

But there's no telling who is responsible for the site's content and what the other content is beyond the few things I've linked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I understand the frustration with being a non-revenue generating sport and playing second fiddle. I understand the desire to move the soccer venue back to campus in the interest of reincorporating App State soccer back into the culture of the school. Show me that petition outside of the smear campaign and I will sign it in a heartbeat. But to be so petty as to drag the whole institution through the mud, slandering it's leaders and jumping on the Jamie Price, "every football player is a rapist that gets preferential academic treatment" bandwagon is pretty deplorable.

Someone spent a lot of time spearheading this campaign and it is very likely that that same person used to wear black and gold. It's pretty sickening.

Rekdiver

Re: Soccer Alum Propaganda Website

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

Soccer is not a revenue sport. We have not put empahasis on soccer nor have we had a coach capable of doing for soccer what has been done for baseball. I was finishing ASU at the beginning of the Udogu and Usyian era. Kemo, Harrill, Arant et al. I played in the summers with these guys and went on and played in the adult league in Charlotte, ended my career as a college and high school ref. As much as I'd like to see soccer back on campus the economic reality is that we have to make choices. The soccer mafia should be careful. I hear alot of talk and see no $ from them. If they make it too much of a distraction, it would be easy to eliminate. As for the academic left, you are so lucky to be in the position you are in. Leave well enough alone. You guys are so clueless about the real world. As I watched Wigan beat MC this weekend I remembered fondly the good day of ASU Soccer. Work within the system and you will get what you want.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 am

The Sunbelt doesn't sponsor Men's Soccer. Is there a chance that this greasy wheel gets eliminated to make way for football scholarships?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am

Gonzo wrote:I tell myself to stop this every time I do it, but I was perusing Appfan.com this morning.
He does a good job with his postings but the comments section is just a cluster ****.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 am

hapapp wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I tell myself to stop this every time I do it, but I was perusing Appfan.com this morning.
He does a good job with his postings but the comments section is just a cluster ****.
Oh yeah, definitely. I have no problem with the author of the posts. He does a good job. But the comment section is like Mos Eisley.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon May 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Where would the on-campus facility be located? Have these folks donated specifically for such a venue and the upkeep that goes into maintaining a "natural" surface? I'm sure most true App fans would love for soccer to have their own on-campus field but this doesn't seem to be the best approach. They are alienating themselves from the core fan base. With the Sun Belt not sponsoring soccer, they could be backing into a corner resulting in something much worse than playing on a field 3 miles from campus. Let's call it, www.appclubsoccer.com
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon May 13, 2013 12:21 pm

That soccer site has been around a while. I remember they use to be on the old MMB until one day one of the loyal posters told the story about the Tec Mackerol complex and how App stepped in to save that project. That shut them up pretty good for a while.The people who picked up that flag aren't letting facts get in the way of a good story.

I sent an e-mail to David Forbes about the article and he didn't respond. I talked to one of the people he got his info from and they didn't some of the aspects of the article. He continues to plug it on Twitter everytime there's App news.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon May 13, 2013 12:34 pm

T-Dog wrote:I sent an e-mail to David Forbes about the article and he didn't respond. I talked to one of the people he got his info from and they didn't some of the aspects of the article. He continues to plug it on Twitter everytime there's App news.
And if you tweet criticism at him, he blocks you.

Clearly a reasonable, unbiased guy that values dialogue and fair journalism :roll:

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon May 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Having a hard time seeing where CC is the issue. In the 15 years between our last championship in '90 and CC taking over in '05 ASU had 6 winning seasons. There have been 4 in the 7 years he has been on the job. Betting the budget is better than it was in '04 too. Sounds like like a guy with an ax to grind to me.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

as you guys said, where would/could we put a soccer complex on campus? I get to a football game once a year, I always take time to walk around campus, and from what I have seen, there isnt any place for a soccer complex. Have I missed something? Does App have seveal hundred yards of open land, just sitting on campus? This guy is passionate about App soccer, but not very realistic.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon May 13, 2013 4:22 pm

If App had a spot big enough for the soccer stadium on campus, App wouldn't have a spot big enough for the soccer stadium on campus, as it would've already been taken up by something else.

I would really like for an Olympic Sports complex to be built on the old Watauga High School grounds that could include a baseball stadium that could house an Appalachian League rookie league team.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

speaking of the old Watauga school, does anyone have an update, has it been sold, if not, is App interested. That piece of land would solve alot of problems, as said before, soccer, maybe baseball, especially the dam track all could have a home.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon May 13, 2013 5:07 pm

It is 3 miles from KBS to the the soccer stadium. It is 10 miles from College of Charleston to their stadium at Patriot's Point. Bet their soccer alumni are really upset over that.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Actually it's 5 miles, give or take a tenth, from campus to Patriot's Point, but nonetheless it's further off main campus than we are.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Mon May 13, 2013 6:44 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:Actually it's 5 miles, give or take a tenth, from campus to Patriot's Point, but nonetheless it's further off main campus than we are.
Beside the fact that the soccer complex is where the freshman that live on campus park their cars (or at least that was what the lot was used for when I was at APP 10 years ago). They don't seem to have too much problems getting to those cars.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Mon May 13, 2013 7:14 pm

I have heard there could be an opportunity to do something up near the Con Ed Center. Nothing definite, and it is probably down the priority list, but remember, we have both men's and women's soccer, so we get bang for the buck. I believe Charlie Cobb has been an advocate for soccer, given his wife has a soccer background and has been an asst. with the women's team.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Actually, the soccer complex is no longer at State Farm. It is now off 421 further out from campus.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:Actually it's 5 miles, give or take a tenth, from campus to Patriot's Point, but nonetheless it's further off main campus than we are.
My bad. Must have hit the wrong address for something. Re-Map Quest confirms it is 5 1/2 miles from campus. That Charleston traffic can be rough in that area of town where the College is located.

George Washington

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Save us all and just drop soccer.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 pm

hapapp wrote:Actually, the soccer complex is no longer at State Farm. It is now off 421 further out from campus.
I do remember that, now that's you mention it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”