Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Please defend NIL

AppWyo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Please defend NIL

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:28 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:04 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:31 am
bcoach wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:01 pm
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 pm
bcoach wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:13 pm

Exploited? Really? Every time I hear that it aggravates the crap out of me. Free education, free room and board, best facilities, tutors, lounges and the list goes on. How on earth is that being exploited? You want to talk exploited? How about the student trainers? No scholarship, no room and board, no lounges, no tutors, can't have a job. Up before the players in the am and working after the players leave for the day. They are both there because they want to be. Nobody is forcing them to be there but one gets a load of benefits and the other gets none. You never heard anyone talk about players being exploited till some talking head said it. Now folks just repeat it. Well saying it a thousand times doesn't make it true.
The fact the trainers are being treated the way they are way not lesson the fact there are millions of dollars being made by some off the back of the student athletes and everyone else that is involved.

Maybe the coaches and AD office needs to take some selective pay cuts to hep the trainers out and others in similar positions.
Really? If that is the case and all these millions are being made just how soon can we eliminate the student fees at APP STATE?
I would not be upset if they made student athletic fees illegal across the board. It really is not a very good economic proposition considering what is paid and the amount of the tickets students get in return at most schools. That is certainly the case at App State. Or at minimum ensure the tickets are worth as much or more than the student fees, or just make the fee optional, and students can look at it as a way to ensure season tickets if it is that important to them.
I don’t see the problem with the fees. They are facility maintenance fees associated with the upkeep of the infrastructure. When we were in school, students used KBS for running and playing sports on that concrete carpet. It costs money to keep them usable.
I wonder how many universities practice in the same stadium they play their games. I would have to say that Kidd Brewer is unique in this. Heck, most high schools do not even practice in the stadium they play their games.

Back in the day Kidd Brewer was one of the most utilized stadiums in the nation. Women and men's soccer, track and field, field hockey, football, the band, and club football all practiced and played their games in Kidd Brewer(Conrad) stadium. Even Watauga High School played their too. Not to mention all the students that did things in the stadium at all hours of the day.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:33 am

I don’t see the problem with the fees. They are facility maintenance fees associated with the upkeep of the infrastructure. When we were in school, students used KBS for running and playing sports on that concrete carpet. It costs money to keep them usable.

Hallelujah! Someone else understands the athletic fee is not simply for school teams they also provide outlets for all students. Intramural programs galore.
Bring Your A Game!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 am

AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Exploited? Really? Every time I hear that it aggravates the crap out of me. Free education, free room and board, best facilities, tutors, lounges and the list goes on. How on earth is that being exploited? You want to talk exploited? How about the student trainers? No scholarship, no room and board, no lounges, no tutors, can't have a job. Up before the players in the am and working after the players leave for the day. They are both there because they want to be. Nobody is forcing them to be there but one gets a load of benefits and the other gets none. You never heard anyone talk about players being exploited till some talking head said it. Now folks just repeat it. Well saying it a thousand times doesn't make it true.
The fact the trainers are being treated the way they are way not lesson the fact there are millions of dollars being made by some off the back of the student athletes and everyone else that is involved.

Maybe the coaches and AD office needs to take some selective pay cuts to hep the trainers out and others in similar positions.
Really? If that is the case and all these millions are being made just how soon can we eliminate the student fees at APP STATE?
I would not be upset if they made student athletic fees illegal across the board. It really is not a very good economic proposition considering what is paid and the amount of the tickets students get in return at most schools. That is certainly the case at App State. Or at minimum ensure the tickets are worth as much or more than the student fees, or just make the fee optional, and students can look at it as a way to ensure season tickets if it is that important to them.
And those facilities need not be so nice just for student rec. We don't have a 30,000 seat stadium for intramurals. Holmes does get used for graduation and other events so some of that is needed but not at a level have just for those functions.

It would make a interesting case study as a start to allow students that are at a college and had free or reduced lunch in high school and might be heavy into loans to fund college to opt out of this particular fee and the benefits that come from the fee and just see what happens. Some may see the value and others may not want to be paying the loans and interest for years to come. Technology fees, health care fee, library fees, and others are tied directly to the educational experience at a college and keeping one fit and safe at school. Schools that have no inter-scholastic athletics still have accreditation, and certainly around the world there was plenty of colleges that do not have athletics as we do in this country and the educational experience is not lacking (which is the primary goal of colleges I hope.) Not having some intramurals would be problematic but that can be done rather cheaply, as some physical activity is beneficial to mind and body.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

And those facilities need not be so nice just for student rec. We don't have a 30,000 seat stadium for intramurals. Holmes does get used for graduation and other events so some of that is needed but not at a level have just for those functions.

It would make a interesting case study as a start to allow students that are at a college and had free or reduced lunch in high school and might be heavy into loans to fund college to opt out of this particular fee and the benefits that come from the fee and just see what happens. Some may see the value and others may not want to be paying the loans and interest for years to come. Technology fees, health care fee, library fees, and others are tied directly to the educational experience at a college and keeping one fit and safe at school. Schools that have no inter-scholastic athletics still have accreditation, and certainly around the world there was plenty of colleges that do not have athletics as we do in this country and the educational experience is not lacking (which is the primary goal of colleges I hope.) Not having some intramurals would be problematic but that can be done rather cheaply, as some physical activity is beneficial to mind and body.
We are going to agree to disagree. Eliminating “athletic fees” as you call them, (are they called out that way on tuition bills) isn’t going to eliminate the need for loans. And one could argue that athletics actually has a positive impact on the educational experience, as well as, enhancing the level of scholars that choose to engage App for their college experience.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:09 pm

The "millions of dollars made" pay the bills for the program.And not all of them. Is someone getting wealthy ? Some coaches , yes.Are coaches over paid? Well , I have an opinion , as most do , but it's just an opinion.The taxpayers have invested millions , and millions of dollars , in the campus infrastructure and personnel and continues to.The athletes take advantage of that to change their futures , many at no cost .Should they be compensated more than that ? Arguments on both sides.A D1 head coach told me last week that he can see the new reality crash and burn in a few years at the rate things are going , and direction.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:42 pm

In the "old days", when I was in school, the "fees" were not broken out in too many buckets. Basically it was three buckets, tuition (including books at App), housing and meals. I have not seen a recent student's fees breakdown but I suspect it is a more exhaustive list. This has been the trend in many businesses over the years just so they can justify the additional costs. Whether this is good or bad, I don't know. I do know the cost of overall education is WAY more today than I paid in the early '80s. When I start analyzing why, I quickly see that students today get many more "amenities" than we got in the day. Someone with more info can detail the comparison but, bottom line, it is not an apples to apples comparison between 1982 and 2022 for student amenities, just like everything else in our world. The student does get an "education" which is commonality BUT some are getting a five star world to live in for 4 yrs vs our basic existence model 40 yrs ago.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:01 pm

(I apologize for the formatting, the software is limited)

Here are the Itemized Fees:
Itemized Fees
 Credit Hours                                                               0 – 5              6 – 12
Health Service Fee                                                      83.75           167.50
SGA Fee                                                                        0.25              0.50
Education & Tech Fee                                                 144.00          288.00
Athletic Operations Fee                                              195.75          391.50
*Book Rental Fee                                                       $130.00        $260.00
Required Student Activity Fees
Education, Recreation &
Renewable Energy Initiative
                                                                                    96.50         193.00
Cultural Affairs 11.25 22.50
Student Union Operations                                              57.00         114.00
Required Retirement of Debt Fees
Athletics Facilities                                                         61.25         122.50
Campus Dining                                                               21.25           42.50
Student Recreation Center                                             22.50           45.00
Student Union Addition                                                  20.25           40.50
Leadership Annex                                                            8.75           17.50
Infrastructure
Improvements                                                                 3.50             7.00
Sanford Hall                                                                  21.00            42.00
Other Required Fees
*Transportation                                                              40.00            80.00
Safety & Security Fee                                                     15.00            30.00

Total Fees                                                                     932.00       1,864.00
The Athletics Operations Fee represents 21% of the Total Fees. Combine it with the Athletic Facilities Retirement of Debt Fee (391.50 + 122.50 = $514.00) and athletics is 27.6% of the total fees.

https://studentaccounts.appstate.edu/si ... update.pdf

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:48 pm

So my subtle point was, when all of us went to App, there were recreational facilities available to us and somebody had to pay for them. They just didn't line item list them in your bill. We had Conrad, BKG with pool, Varsity, tennis courts, State Farm field, and that is about it. Oh, and a grass hill behind the stadium where we could tube down it. I could use all of them as part of the tuition. Now, students have a bunch more recreational facilities to use than we did in the old days.

For living accommodations, I shared a dirty bathroom with 8 guys in a quadrant, a crappy tv in common area on floor with 32 guys, a laundry room with a whole dorm. What are the living facilities like now? A deluxe apartment in the Sky?

Somebody has got to pay for all those "new" amenities.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:54 pm

bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:47 pm
More than 1% of D1 athletes are getting NIL deals. They're just not getting the giant money headline deals everyone sees. Blue Deer Cookie in Boone and the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce got into NILs. App had dozens of NIL deals last summer before a single ball was kicked in competition. I bet there's some volleyball players who got some very nice NIL deals because they have big Instagram followings. There's an Elon backup offensive lineman with a successful TikTok (more than a million followers) who has NIL deals.

I would say every student athlete who has to get up at 5 a.m. for "optional workouts" in the offseason is exploited. Regardless of whether they make the university a dime or not, because they were brought to App State for the No. 1 purpose above all else of scoring more points or finishing higher in the stadings than the other teams.

I think you miss my point. We are NOT making millions off the backs of our athletes. We are supporting them. I really don't see where they are making us millions. I am willing to listen though to see what profit they are making us.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:17 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:54 pm
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:

I think you miss my point. We are NOT making millions off the backs of our athletes. We are supporting them. I really don't see where they are making us millions. I am willing to listen though to see what profit they are making us.
I am thinking about college athletics as a whole. I am not singling out App specifically. I might be using App as an example, as I know more about that than other schools as, myself, my wife and our oldest daughter all have degrees from App State. But most everything would apply to about every DI school with scholly football. And as I point out my concerns I also have season tickets this year, finally, so there is that, and maybe the "that" at some level is a bit of hypocrisy on my part, or maybe not. It is nuanced and full of complexities in how I view all of this.

While I am supporting App I don't mind pointing out some of the concerns, some major, others smaller, that have me not being at ease with how college athletics are being operated.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:34 pm

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:17 pm
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:

I am thinking about college athletics as a whole. I am not singling out App specifically. I might be using App as an example, as I know more about that than other schools as, myself, my wife and our oldest daughter all have degrees from App State. But most everything would apply to about every DI school with scholly football. And as I point out my concerns I also have season tickets this year, finally, so there is that, and maybe the "that" at some level is a bit of hypocrisy on my part, or maybe not. It is nuanced and full of complexities in how I view all of this.

While I am supporting App I don't mind pointing out some of the concerns, some major, others smaller, that have me not being at ease with how college athletics are being operated.
My point is also not just APP. MOST college programs do not make millions off the backs of the players. They don't make millions for the universities. It is just something that makes me nuts because it simply is not true. The athletes are doing very well for themselves at the vast majority of universities. Student fees that go to athletics are not earned by the players. It is a tax on all students.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:21 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:34 pm
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:

My point is also not just APP. MOST college programs do not make millions off the backs of the players. They don't make millions for the universities. It is just something that makes me nuts because it simply is not true. The athletes are doing very well for themselves at the vast majority of universities. Student fees that go to athletics are not earned by the players. It is a tax on all students.
But some people are making millions on the backs of the athletes (coaches and some other staff.) If coaches were making professor money or maybe double professor money I would not feel so bad for athletes given their scholarships and other perks that only they get as student athletes. I wish the schools were making millions if it meant more scholarships and lower fees for all students. If I stated schools above and I seem to mostly remember typing coaches and AD staff, then my apologies for a mistype of my words. I'll certainly try and be more clear.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:45 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:48 pm
So my subtle point was, when all of us went to App, there were recreational facilities available to us and somebody had to pay for them. They just didn't line item list them in your bill. We had Conrad, BKG with pool, Varsity, tennis courts, State Farm field, and that is about it. Oh, and a grass hill behind the stadium where we could tube down it. I could use all of them as part of the tuition. Now, students have a bunch more recreational facilities to use than we did in the old days.

For living accommodations, I shared a dirty bathroom with 8 guys in a quadrant, a crappy tv in common area on floor with 32 guys, a laundry room with a whole dorm. What are the living facilities like now? A deluxe apartment in the Sky?

And for this guy from 1982-1986 it was absolutely awesome. We never knew what we were missing. We also had racquetball courts, weight rooms if we chose. I recall many a nice spring day hanging out and actually playing on the football field. It was completely open and accessible for all.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:58 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:45 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:48 pm

And for this guy from 1982-1986 it was absolutely awesome. We never knew what we were missing. We also had racquetball courts, weight rooms if we chose. I recall many a nice spring day hanging out and actually playing on the football field. It was completely open and accessible for all.
I got dumped by a girl under the west stands late one evening during spring semester so I do have that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:23 am

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:21 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:34 pm
bcoach wrote:

But some people are making millions on the backs of the athletes (coaches and some other staff.) If coaches were making professor money or maybe double professor money I would not feel so bad for athletes given their scholarships and other perks that only they get as student athletes. I wish the schools were making millions if it meant more scholarships and lower fees for all students. If I stated schools above and I seem to mostly remember typing coaches and AD staff, then my apologies for a mistype of my words. I'll certainly try and be more clear.
Have you looked at a coaching contract to ensure that your points are valid. For instance, Nick Saban earns north of $10 million a year to coach football. While that seems absurd, his pay as an employee of the State of Alabama is $275,0000 per annum. The majority of his money comes a foundation called the Crimson Tide Foundation.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:19 am

F4BDF20C-31E4-4F3B-994E-E4522D23D1A4.jpeg
F4BDF20C-31E4-4F3B-994E-E4522D23D1A4.jpeg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Listen when I win the mega millions on Tuesday this will be a moot point. I will become a “friend“ of the program and everything will be OK.

Dome for the baseball field. Upgraded basketball facilities. Upgraded everything for the Olympic sports.

Also money for the University itself.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:23 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:19 am

Listen when I win the mega millions on Tuesday this will be a moot point. I will become a “friend“ of the program and everything will be OK.

Dome for the baseball field. Upgraded basketball facilities. Upgraded everything for the Olympic sports.

Why would you dome the baseball field? That’s a rookie play. Retractable roof baby.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:25 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:23 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

Why would you dome the baseball field? That’s a rookie play. Retractable roof baby.
:lol: That's true.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:29 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

I also forgot...I'm putting seats and bleachers on MH. hahahaha

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:29 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

Dome for the baseball field. Upgraded basketball facilities. Upgraded everything for :D :D :D the Olympic sports.

I also forgot...I'm putting seats and bleachers on MH. hahahaha
As long as you buy the naming rights to call it Cline Hill. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”