Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Please defend NIL

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Please defend NIL

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:08 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:47 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:07 pm
The NIL is very good for the top 40 programs.

It will eventually undermine the original intent of athletic scholarships.

We are 3-4 years away from a split similar to the early 80’s.
Saint, my blood pressure just went sky high .... because I know it's true unless something new breaks through..... all of our growth, only to be spanked down again.... hurts
I know myself and others felt all along that while FCS there was no shot to get a seat at the table. The only way to eventually have a seat at the table was to move up to FBS and put us in tier 2. Just imagine had we gone with ECU back when they did the split and we had been on their level for 40+ years. We just have to keep growing.
Hindsight is 20/20 but it is also something we can't claim to know how it would have played out. We may have moved with ECU and had small crowds in a small stadium with low budget and not been able to compete. We had only been NCAA for a few years at this point and we had some good seasons in the mid-70s It is possible we would better positioned now but we may be worse off now or no better off and without the momentum we have had since the mid 2000s.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:34 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Saint, my blood pressure just went sky high .... because I know it's true unless something new breaks through..... all of our growth, only to be spanked down again.... hurts
I know myself and others felt all along that while FCS there was no shot to get a seat at the table. The only way to eventually have a seat at the table was to move up to FBS and put us in tier 2. Just imagine had we gone with ECU back when they did the split and we had been on their level for 40+ years. We just have to keep growing.
I disagree, had we gone the route that ECU has taken we would not have three NCAA National Championships in football. Also the FCS experience is what has grown the rivalries we now enjoy.

My perception of it all, and I may be wrong, I have felt that ECU wants to be perceived as an equal to UNC-Ch, Duke, Wake Forest, and especially N.C. State, but in North Carolina there are only four colleges. However, Appalachian is not chasing anyone or trying to be anyone else, Appalachian is just trying to be the best it can be and for whatever reason it is succeeding.

Even the schools moto: Esse Quam Videri is the same as North Carolina's moto: Esse Quam Videir. To be rather than to seem. We do not seem like a football school, we are a football school.

I would like to know more about how Appalachian ended up with the colors Black and Gold as well as why Essi Quam Videri is the schools moto.

Maybe someday ECU will join the current Sunbelt East and every conference game they play will be a true rivalry game.

I really do believe the Sunbelt will become one of the dominate sustainable powers in college football with their current membership, maybe adding ECU in the East and another school in the West that is similar to the current schools in the Sunbelt.

The Sunbelt really has the brightest future of all the conferences during this period of realignment geographically speaking.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:46 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:34 pm

Even the schools moto: Esse Quam Videri is the same as North Carolina's moto: Esse Quam Videir. To be rather than to seem. We do not seem like a football school, we are a football school.

I would like to know more about how Appalachian ended up with the colors Black and Gold as well as why Essi Quam Videri is the schools moto.

I don't know why I hold this memory so strongly. I guess I never imbibed enough to kill my brain cells relating to memory. Anywhoo, I had Calculus II in summer school and one of the students was asking about the motto. I have no idea why we were on that topic in Calc II but we were and I remembering explaining the motto and its meaning of not putting on airs. That seems to fit App State, regardless of it being the state motto. I don't remember discussing the school colors. You know what else I don't remember, all of those trig identities we were supposed to know and learn.

Pro Tip: Do NOT take Calc II in the summer. Waaay to much to learn per day with a 4 or 5 hour class.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:28 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:46 pm
AppWyo wrote:

I don't know why I hold this memory so strongly. I guess I never imbibed enough to kill my brain cells relating to memory. Anywhoo, I had Calculus II in summer school and one of the students was asking about the motto. I have no idea why we were on that topic in Calc II but we were and I remembering explaining the motto and its meaning of not putting on airs. That seems to fit App State, regardless of it being the state motto. I don't remember discussing the school colors. You know what else I don't remember, all of those trig identities we were supposed to know and learn.

Pro Tip: Do NOT take Calc II in the summer. Waaay to much to learn per day with a 4 or 5 hour class.
I never took Calculus. Maybe one of a handful of folks that didn’t take it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:28 pm
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:46 pm
AppWyo wrote:

I never took Calculus. Maybe one of a handful of folks that didn’t take it.
Some degrees did not need more than algebra which is 1020 I think. Some others needed 1025 with has some trig as well. I had to take through differential equations, which is essentially Calc IV. I think our Diffy q class of 10-12 was about all physics majors, and maybe one math major or a technology major. I don't remember any of that stuff either. I never use more than algebra and trig and might toss out a very simple derivative or integral with the right students. I do use the underlying concepts even while I avoid the actual math.

With that said, if you have some free time you ought to consider sitting in on a Calc I class at a community college or review the algebra class first and then sit in on a Calc class. Community colleges are not very expensive per credit hour and it may be cheaper if you don't want the credit and just audit the course. There are some interesting applications with calculus in the sciences (physics especially) but also economics and other fields that have variables that change with time.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:15 pm

CPA= plus, minus, multiply, divide, present value, knot plus knot, divide by double knot..🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:11 pm

All for naught.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:08 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20 but it is also something we can't claim to know how it would have played out. We may have moved with ECU and had small crowds in a small stadium with low budget and not been able to compete. We had only been NCAA for a few years at this point and we had some good seasons in the mid-70s It is possible we would better positioned now but we may be worse off now or no better off and without the momentum we have had since the mid 2000s.
I get what you are saying and obviously it’s not a fact but my personal opinion, and that of a few on 247 and here I know, that we would have been better off. It doesn’t prove it would be right for sure but we felt we would succeed when we did move up and turned out to be right so it makes me feel good at that idea we would be even better off moving up earlier.

The fact we do know is that just by being where we are now we will be better off when all the dust settles. I’m just glad we got an AD and head coach who were completely pro moving up. It’s been a great move.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:43 pm

AppWyo wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I disagree, had we gone the route that ECU has taken we would not have three NCAA National Championships in football. Also the FCS experience is what has grown the rivalries we now enjoy.

My perception of it all, and I may be wrong, I have felt that ECU wants to be perceived as an equal to UNC-Ch, Duke, Wake Forest, and especially N.C. State, but in North Carolina there are only four colleges. However, Appalachian is not chasing anyone or trying to be anyone else, Appalachian is just trying to be the best it can be and for whatever reason it is succeeding.

Maybe someday ECU will join the current Sunbelt East and every conference game they play will be a true rivalry game.

I really do believe the Sunbelt will become one of the dominate sustainable powers in college football with their current membership, maybe adding ECU in the East and another school in the West that is similar to the current schools in the Sunbelt.

The Sunbelt really has the brightest future of all the conferences during this period of realignment geographically speaking.
100% agree we don’t have the titles but I think we would have had other rivalries like I believe we would have played ECU, VT, Duke, Wake Forest, etc more. Marshall still would have been a rivalry because they have always wanted to be a major program. I always dreamed of having Marshall, ECU, UNC, Wake Forest, etc on our schedule regularly. I remember Wake Forest telling us in the late 90s they would never play us again until we move up. Several schools held that stance so that’s partly why I think moving up much earlier would have helped even more. I also think ECU would have been a regular game and they would not have looked down on us so bad.

With that said, I’m also with you on the position of the Sun Belt. I believe there is a chance we see ECU join the league in a few years.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:14 pm

ECU wanted us to move on with them as a "partner", whatever that meant at the time.It would have no doubt had it's ups and downs but no one knows.We took different routes but here we are , perhaps in a better place?

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:33 pm

All we really know is what has happened so far, however, the rivalry between Georgia Southern and Appalachian should not be overlooked. When Marshall left it filled that rivalry void seamlessly. Also the experience of having a true playoff for the university helped in that success and made for an excellent transition although that has not been true of all programs that have been FCS powers to the FBS.

The win against Michigan should never be overlooked, because that event is what really brought Appalachian to the national stage in a way that nothing else could. It is also the game that gave the Big Ten Network the jump start it needed to be in the position it is today.

Appalachian was just ready for the moment and did not squander the opportunity, because they were in a position to build on that win and continue to build upon that win.

Just like the Sunbelt was ready to expand strategically not just to stay afloat.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:13 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:47 pm
More than 1% of D1 athletes are getting NIL deals. They're just not getting the giant money headline deals everyone sees. Blue Deer Cookie in Boone and the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce got into NILs. App had dozens of NIL deals last summer before a single ball was kicked in competition. I bet there's some volleyball players who got some very nice NIL deals because they have big Instagram followings. There's an Elon backup offensive lineman with a successful TikTok (more than a million followers) who has NIL deals.

I would say every student athlete who has to get up at 5 a.m. for "optional workouts" in the offseason is exploited. Regardless of whether they make the university a dime or not, because they were brought to App State for the No. 1 purpose above all else of scoring more points or finishing higher in the stadings than the other teams.
Exploited? Really? Every time I hear that it aggravates the crap out of me. Free education, free room and board, best facilities, tutors, lounges and the list goes on. How on earth is that being exploited? You want to talk exploited? How about the student trainers? No scholarship, no room and board, no lounges, no tutors, can't have a job. Up before the players in the am and working after the players leave for the day. They are both there because they want to be. Nobody is forcing them to be there but one gets a load of benefits and the other gets none. You never heard anyone talk about players being exploited till some talking head said it. Now folks just repeat it. Well saying it a thousand times doesn't make it true.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:13 pm
T-Dog wrote:
More than 1% of D1 athletes are getting NIL deals. They're just not getting the giant money headline deals everyone sees. Blue Deer Cookie in Boone and the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce got into NILs. App had dozens of NIL deals last summer before a single ball was kicked in competition. I bet there's some volleyball players who got some very nice NIL deals because they have big Instagram followings. There's an Elon backup offensive lineman with a successful TikTok (more than a million followers) who has NIL deals.

I would say every student athlete who has to get up at 5 a.m. for "optional workouts" in the offseason is exploited. Regardless of whether they make the university a dime or not, because they were brought to App State for the No. 1 purpose above all else of scoring more points or finishing higher in the stadings than the other teams.
Exploited? Really? Every time I hear that it aggravates the crap out of me. Free education, free room and board, best facilities, tutors, lounges and the list goes on. How on earth is that being exploited? You want to talk exploited? How about the student trainers? No scholarship, no room and board, no lounges, no tutors, can't have a job. Up before the players in the am and working after the players leave for the day. They are both there because they want to be. Nobody is forcing them to be there but one gets a load of benefits and the other gets none. You never heard anyone talk about players being exploited till some talking head said it. Now folks just repeat it. Well saying it a thousand times doesn't make it true.
The fact the trainers are being treated the way they are way not lesson the fact there are millions of dollars being made by some off the back of the student athletes and everyone else that is involved.

Maybe the coaches and AD office needs to take some selective pay cuts to hep the trainers out and others in similar positions.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:01 pm

Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 pm
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

The fact the trainers are being treated the way they are way not lesson the fact there are millions of dollars being made by some off the back of the student athletes and everyone else that is involved.

Maybe the coaches and AD office needs to take some selective pay cuts to hep the trainers out and others in similar positions.
Really? If that is the case and all these millions are being made just how soon can we eliminate the student fees at APP STATE?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:26 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:01 pm
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Really? If that is the case and all these millions are being made just how soon can we eliminate the student fees at APP STATE?
It absolutely kills me when people throw out that all encompassing phrase- schools making millions off of the backs...they DESERVE to be paid...

My wife is an educator in NC and I wish she made double her salary but she knew the pay scale when she started and doesn't complain now. Granted she is an administrator, went back and got her Masters and National Board but worked for it. Any teacher has that same opportunity.

I have a son-in-law in the military. Started as a grunt private but has worked his tail off and recently became a Warrant Officer.

Every college athlete isn't going to play professional ball but in reality is that really the purpose of college ball? I get it I really do but isn't the REAL value of playing college athletics the free or nearly free opportunity to earn a degree? The fix for all of this is to let any 18 year old who wants to go pro be free to do so.

We focus way too much on what is probably only 1-2% of college football and basketball players at the expense of the rest who greatly value their scholarship and opportunities it affords.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:27 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:26 pm
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

It absolutely kills me when people throw out that all encompassing phrase- schools making millions off of the backs...they DESERVE to be paid...

My wife is an educator in NC and I wish she made double her salary but she knew the pay scale when she started and doesn't complain now. Granted she is an administrator, went back and got her Masters and National Board but worked for it. Any teacher has that same opportunity.

I have a son-in-law in the military. Started as a grunt private but has worked his tail off and recently became a Warrant Officer.

Every college athlete isn't going to play professional ball but in reality is that really the purpose of college ball? I get it I really do but isn't the REAL value of playing college athletics the free or nearly free opportunity to earn a degree? The fix for all of this is to let any 18 year old who wants to go pro be free to do so.

We focus way too much on what is probably only 1-2% of college football and basketball players at the expense of the rest who greatly value their scholarship and opportunities it affords.
It's called Playing football, not Working at Football. That's because it's fun. Getting up early and working out to some is fun as well. I've run at 5:30 AM for 30 years and now I have a group I exercise with at 5:30...because I enjoy it. Nobody is getting exploited. I don't begrudge anyone who can find a way to make a buck doing something they enjoy doing but please stop with the woe is me and exploitation BS.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:31 am

bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I would not be upset if they made student athletic fees illegal across the board. It really is not a very good economic proposition considering what is paid and the amount of the tickets students get in return at most schools. That is certainly the case at App State. Or at minimum ensure the tickets are worth as much or more than the student fees, or just make the fee optional, and students can look at it as a way to ensure season tickets if it is that important to them.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:36 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I have long been an advocate of all the major league establishing a minor league system for those that just want to play ball. Most communities embrace their minor leagues at some level. It would cut out a lot of the bad of college athletics while colleges can focus on true student-athletes. Minor league pay is generally terrible but there would be an option to go either route and minor league hockey is unionized and that, I am sure, helps with pay and benefits of AHL and ECHL players.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:44 am

mike87 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:27 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:

It's called Playing football, not Working at Football. That's because it's fun. Getting up early and working out to some is fun as well. I've run at 5:30 AM for 30 years and now I have a group I exercise with at 5:30...because I enjoy it. Nobody is getting exploited. I don't begrudge anyone who can find a way to make a buck doing something they enjoy doing but please stop with the woe is me and exploitation BS.
Great point. I completely understand how a select few top athletes who have basically played the sport they are in since they were small children strive for reaching the top in order to garner what is hopefully significant financial reward but zero of these people are forced to do it. A select few ever make it to the professional level and many who play (particularly football and basketball) in college really have no desire to obtain a degree- I'm not assuming or throwing a blanket statement over all but in reality the top athletes are only going through the motions in college until they get that big check.

I've wondered what would really happen in college sports if there was no regulation by the NCAA and boosters could pay whatever they wanted and there was basically free reign. I think the top 1% would get paid and would still attend the same schools. You would see a stud here and there all of a sudden enroll at a head scratcher of a school simply because he or she took the loot and didn't care about winning- kind of like when a guy leaves a playoff caliber NFL team as a free agent and signs with a dog simply for the bigger deal.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:04 am

Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:31 am
bcoach wrote:
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I would not be upset if they made student athletic fees illegal across the board. It really is not a very good economic proposition considering what is paid and the amount of the tickets students get in return at most schools. That is certainly the case at App State. Or at minimum ensure the tickets are worth as much or more than the student fees, or just make the fee optional, and students can look at it as a way to ensure season tickets if it is that important to them.
I don’t see the problem with the fees. They are facility maintenance fees associated with the upkeep of the infrastructure. When we were in school, students used KBS for running and playing sports on that concrete carpet. It costs money to keep them usable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”