Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Please defend NIL

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: Please defend NIL

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue May 24, 2022 9:19 am

Boone Goon wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:05 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am
Boone Goon wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:25 am
Here's my NIL question...how long before a19 year-old all-american (quarterback or shooting guard) gets charged with tax evasion and rolls over on everyone involved ?
Who is he going to roll over on? The taxes are on the person receiving the money.
Poor word choice; better may have been blames everyone around him for his issue, or airs any and all other dirty laundry related to the program as a distraction. Many investigations start in one corner and end up digging holes throughout the ‘yard’. I think of some of the historic issues at The U, or Ohio State and USC. None of the ending issues were where the investigations started.
How exactly does it all work generally speaking? Does the athlete receive payments and is responsible for tax filing? Are the athletes allowed to hire attorneys or tax people to handle the money and filing responsibilities? If so isn’t this just short of having an agent? If some of these “kids” now have this influx of money and have to handle the tax implications I can see a world of issues. There will be stories of young folks who blew through wads of NIL cash, never got a degree, blew out a knee, dropped out, etc and are now broke. The number of pro athletes who unfortunately ended this way are numerous. Obviously there are regular students attending colleges who have money but the ones who never had it and now have to attempt a balance could be tragic.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue May 24, 2022 10:04 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:19 am
Boone Goon wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:05 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am
Boone Goon wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:25 am
Here's my NIL question...how long before a19 year-old all-american (quarterback or shooting guard) gets charged with tax evasion and rolls over on everyone involved ?
Who is he going to roll over on? The taxes are on the person receiving the money.
Poor word choice; better may have been blames everyone around him for his issue, or airs any and all other dirty laundry related to the program as a distraction. Many investigations start in one corner and end up digging holes throughout the ‘yard’. I think of some of the historic issues at The U, or Ohio State and USC. None of the ending issues were where the investigations started.
How exactly does it all work generally speaking? Does the athlete receive payments and is responsible for tax filing? Are the athletes allowed to hire attorneys or tax people to handle the money and filing responsibilities? If so isn’t this just short of having an agent? If some of these “kids” now have this influx of money and have to handle the tax implications I can see a world of issues. There will be stories of young folks who blew through wads of NIL cash, never got a degree, blew out a knee, dropped out, etc and are now broke. The number of pro athletes who unfortunately ended this way are numerous. Obviously there are regular students attending colleges who have money but the ones who never had it and now have to attempt a balance could be tragic.
Yes there will be some that do...but better to have had it and potentially gained from it or lost it..as compared to not even have the opportunity to do either..just my opinion
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:43 pm

There's no shortage of people receiving big paydays where merit could be considered questionable. I'd rather see it go to almost any of these college athletes than for example some of the buffoons' in Hollywood or Music industry.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:30 pm

App. St. NIL Collective
"3333 NIL ENTITY SET FOR FALL LAUNCH" https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... 01184/Amp/
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:22 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:30 pm
App. St. NIL Collective
"3333 NIL ENTITY SET FOR FALL LAUNCH" https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... 01184/Amp/
Yet again, Appalachian is on top of things...

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:30 am

Per our heisman voter guest Brent Beaird, the NCAA is working on restricting the transfer portal to two windows during the year. They’re doing this at the request of coaches to help with roster management. Also, a big conversation among coaches at SEC media days was developing rules and limitations for NIL, Lane Kiffin and Nick Saban being two of the loudest voices on this.

So while it’s probably going to take another year or two of free for all, some form of restrictions are coming.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:10 am

I think it will eventually become a cancer in the locker rooms of the big programs. NIL might be good for the few players that can cash in, but it's going to be bad for college football.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:53 am

fjblair wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:10 am
I think it will eventually become a cancer in the locker rooms of the big programs. NIL might be good for the few players that can cash in, but it's going to be bad for college football.
I completely agree. I read and hear people defending this saying "good for these kids" and that they "deserve it". After reading the other day about some contract extensions given to a few big time coaches I wanted to puke but just because the school and coaches make money that should not automatically signal a payout to "student athletes " (really hate that term). While a full scholarship isn't enough for lots of these kids, especially those who basically have nothing, letting them rake in big money at 18-22 while in college is also crazy. I believe a more structured system that has accountability is going to happen.

I agree with the locker room aspect. You read about guys saying that they are happy for a teammate who gets some great NIL deal. Is a stud player who has no deal really on board with this? No jealousy? Come on

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:18 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:53 am
fjblair wrote:
I completely agree. I read and hear people defending this saying "good for these kids" and that they "deserve it". After reading the other day about some contract extensions given to a few big time coaches I wanted to puke but just because the school and coaches make money that should not automatically signal a payout to "student athletes " (really hate that term). While a full scholarship isn't enough for lots of these kids, especially those who basically have nothing, letting them rake in big money at 18-22 while in college is also crazy. I believe a more structured system that has accountability is going to happen.

I agree with the locker room aspect. You read about guys saying that they are happy for a teammate who gets some great NIL deal. Is a stud player who has no deal really on board with this? No jealousy? Come on
I really think that jealously among the programs that have the money will help the programs that do not have the money. The selfish players will go for the money where the players that are good teammates will go to the programs that do not have the money.

Ironically, the highest paid coaches are griping about NIL. What they are really saying is, "Hey boosters, we need more money to get the best players." The programs that do not have that type of boosters are all for NIL.

Alcohol, drugs, sex, and money really do cloud people's judgement more so than anything else. Besides NIL, the transfer portal, and super conferences are not ruining college football, the sport is just going through an evolution. Just like the forward pass and integration.

History shows that super conferences are not practical. The Southern Conference at its peak had three champions one season. Heck, even when we were in the SoCon we would be co-champions and we played everyone.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:10 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:53 am
fjblair wrote:

As long as coaches are making millions and even hundred of thousands and ADs are close behind I can't see anything wrong with students making money as long as it is not on the backs of students paying fees. I also think some money off a scholarship would be in order if the NIL reaches some point that is as much as a scholarship itself. Finally the QB and RBs and WRs that are likely making the larger NIL monies ought to pool some of that money and spread it around the team. I am not sure if top talent at an SEC school would feel the need to let a D lineman through to the QB for a sack and if a small pooling of money would help the O line protect the backfield or not but I could see that being a possibility for some players that are feeling left out. For a lineman that is an NFL prospect they may feel giving their all is the best chance of NFL money, others may say F it at some point and there be locker room drama and on field drama.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:21 am

I can't wait to see the IRS implications.... these NIL athletes better pay up accordingly or it put them in a far worse situation. There will be collateral damage to some players and teams if it is not managed tightly.
Change happens... praying App State handles it with dignity.
My bigger issue is becoming DII again if super conferences exclude us.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:25 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:21 am
I can't wait to see the IRS implications.... these NIL athletes better pay up accordingly or it put them in a far worse situation. There will be collateral damage to some players and teams if it is not managed tightly.
Change happens... praying App State handles it with dignity.
My bigger issue is becoming DII again if super conferences exclude us.
NIL would certainly be taxable. Likely handled as an independent contractor and their would be self-employment tax and whatever is involved for medicare, social security, etc along with income taxes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:45 am

App Compliance has given informative guidance to our athletes on taxes and planning for them accordingly.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:45 am
App Compliance has given informative guidance to our athletes on taxes and planning for them accordingly.
I think most schools have done this but you know a few hard headed players will think they can get around it by getting cash or just not saying anything. There is not getting around a legit NIL deal because these companies will file it so they can deduct off their taxes. I just hope none of the hard headed players are on our team. Having to deal with IRS problems will be just another headache for our coaches and AD administrators to handle.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:07 pm

The NIL is very good for the top 40 programs.

It will eventually undermine the original intent of athletic scholarships.

We are 3-4 years away from a split similar to the early 80’s.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:07 pm

Saint, my blood pressure just went sky high .... because I know it's true unless something new breaks through..... all of our growth, only to be spanked down again.... hurts

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:47 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Saint, my blood pressure just went sky high .... because I know it's true unless something new breaks through..... all of our growth, only to be spanked down again.... hurts
it hurts but a bigger issue is a sense of the athletes getting a slice of the millions they are generating. i’ll support app state regardless.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:56 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:47 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

it hurts but a bigger issue is a sense of the athletes getting a slice of the millions they are generating. i’ll support app state regardless.
The colleges are making a mistake...They should have fought NIL the way it is going down. The NIL should have been name and likeness and they should have fought in court that a number on a jersey is not a likeness. The colleges would have survived a minor NFL league. I hope the two leagues seperate with 60 and the next level sticks with true college football.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:40 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:56 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:47 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

The colleges are making a mistake...They should have fought NIL the way it is going down. The NIL should have been name and likeness and they should have fought in court that a number on a jersey is not a likeness. The colleges would have survived a minor NFL league. I hope the two leagues seperate with 60 and the next level sticks with true college football.
I don't disagree. Hopefully all the schools outside of this 40-60 just don't play any of the schools for any sports inside the 60 be it football, basketball or otherwise. And make the schools that go minor league pro take down all of their NCAA banners. College Board controls the AP mark tightly. Kick the schools out and make them remove anything that is labeled NCAA from their banners. Any school can put up banners that say whatever but the NCAA can enforce their trademark to make a point that it is no longer college sports one is watching but minor league pro.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:47 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I know myself and others felt all along that while FCS there was no shot to get a seat at the table. The only way to eventually have a seat at the table was to move up to FBS and put us in tier 2. Just imagine had we gone with ECU back when they did the split and we had been on their level for 40+ years. We just have to keep growing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”