Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Drone view of stadium area

appdaze

Drone view of stadium area

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 17, 2022 8:30 am

It's a beautiful view, but man, it's hard to recognize it anymore. I know progress is important. It just kicks you in the nostalgia sack.

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Drone view of stadium area

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:43 am

Bowie and Eggers are gone next.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue May 17, 2022 8:43 am

My only two beefs with expansion projects over the last 20 years are the east side upper deck and I’m sad we lost so much green space around the stadium and both I’m still pretty “ok” with.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue May 17, 2022 8:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:43 am
Wasn’t the original plan more parking up there?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:50 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wasn’t the original plan more parking up there?
Correct

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue May 17, 2022 10:59 am

APPdiesel wrote:
My only two beefs with expansion projects over the last 20 years are the east side upper deck and I’m sad we lost so much green space around the stadium and both I’m still pretty “ok” with.
We lost so much green space? What green space you talking about? If you walk in between those beautiful new dorm buildings you'll see a grassy area that's as large duck pond field was after it was shrink several times to make stadium parking lot larger. There's also going to be a nice lawn courtyard on the back side of the H of the 750 student dorm being built where Justice stood. All in all that side of campus is going to be absolutely beautiful.

Once the parking lots where Gardner and Coltrane were with trees around and then the same where Eggers and Bowie currently stand are completed, there's going to be a lot of green and it will be very nice with more parking than existed prior to the construction projects.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue May 17, 2022 3:12 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:59 am
APPdiesel wrote:
We lost so much green space? What green space you talking about? If you walk in between those beautiful new dorm buildings you'll see a grassy area that's as large duck pond field was after it was shrink several times to make stadium parking lot larger. There's also going to be a nice lawn courtyard on the back side of the H of the 750 student dorm being built where Justice stood. All in all that side of campus is going to be absolutely beautiful.

Once the parking lots where Gardner and Coltrane were with trees around and then the same where Eggers and Bowie currently stand are completed, there's going to be a lot of green and it will be very nice with more parking than existed prior to the construction projects.
You're right. As I was typing I was thinking about the Duck Pond and the could-have-been-but-never-was green space that was the old stadium lot.

appalum2003

Unread post by appalum2003 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:17 pm

Nice place - where is it?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:44 pm

What's crazy is we look at the bottom half of the photo and are conditioned to think about Green Space and Impervious surfaces. Let your eyes wander to the top half of the photo. I love me some environment but we are a little nutty about some stuff.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:12 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

You're right. As I was typing I was thinking about the Duck Pond and the could-have-been-but-never-was green space that was the old stadium lot.
In the late 1980's Duck Pond Field was twice as big. The reduced sized DPF was always brown mud.....

It's really going to be awesome once Bowie and Gardener are a real parking lot with trees.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue May 17, 2022 8:49 pm

Well I happen to love progress….beer and liquor in Boone. Who woulda thunk it?

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:49 pm
Well I happen to love progress….beer and liquor in Boone. Who woulda thunk it?
...and beer in KBS.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm

CUPS WITH ICE !!!

THE BIGGEST ADVANCEMENT SINCE ....?

😉

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 18, 2022 7:26 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

In the late 1980's Duck Pond Field was twice as big. The reduced sized DPF was always brown mud.....

It's really going to be awesome once Bowie and Gardener are a real parking lot with trees.
I honestly don't remember DPF being bigger or at least not twice as big in the late 80s. I was in Bowie in 1988-89 and Frank the next year so I walked by there all the time. I also admit to having some less than positive memories I have mentioned before, either here or on the old Delphi forum, related to DPF and I may have a bit of a memory block.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 18, 2022 7:33 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:26 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I honestly don't remember DPF being bigger or at least not twice as big in the late 80s. I was in Bowie in 1988-89 and Frank the next year so I walked by there all the time. I also admit to having some less than positive memories I have mentioned before, either here or on the old Delphi forum, related to DPF and I may have a bit of a memory block.
I was in Bowie in 1985-86 8th floor. Terrible terrible place.

The DPF went all the way up to Stadium and further down to the Duck Pond. They built a small extension to stadium lot on upper side and then the construction of Trivett took up some of the lower side. It was a size of a field back then.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 pm

I went on Google Earth Pro to look at the timeline. There is a very low res image from 1985 that was so low res features could not be made out. Zooming out 1 km then one could discern green from concrete and that is about it.

Then it jumps to 1994 and Trivett Hall is in place and the Duck Pond. Annnnnnnnnnnnndd I literally just realized you are talking about DPF and NOT the Duck Pond. I am an idiot. :-)

I am actually a double idiot in that a few years ago there was a discussion about DPF and I also comflated DPF and DP until someone pointed out the conversation was about DPF.

So here is my suggestion. The next time this comes up for discussion in a few years I need someone to remind me we are discussing the DP Field and not DP.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 18, 2022 9:50 pm

Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 pm
I went on Google Earth Pro to look at the timeline. There is a very low res image from 1985 that was so low res features could not be made out. Zooming out 1 km then one could discern green from concrete and that is about it.

Then it jumps to 1994 and Trivett Hall is in place and the Duck Pond. Annnnnnnnnnnnndd I literally just realized you are talking about DPF and NOT the Duck Pond. I am an idiot. :-)

I am actually a double idiot in that a few years ago there was a discussion about DPF and I also comflated DPF and DP until someone pointed out the conversation was about DPF.

So here is my suggestion. The next time this comes up for discussion in a few years I need someone to remind me we are discussing the DP Field and not DP.
Too funny...

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:36 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:33 pm
Wed May 18, 2022 7:26 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:

I was in Bowie in 1985-86 8th floor. Terrible terrible place.

The DPF went all the way up to Stadium and further down to the Duck Pond. They built a small extension to stadium lot on upper side and then the construction of Trivett took up some of the lower side. It was a size of a field back then.
I was in Gardener for two years; 85-86 and 86-87. Tiny rooms.

We played flag football games on DPF before it was downsized.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu May 19, 2022 7:57 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm
CUPS WITH ICE !!!

😉
I'm still salty about that ordeal. One of the most incredibly stupid things I've ever witnessed.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:40 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:57 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm
CUPS WITH ICE !!!

😉
I'm still salty about that ordeal. One of the most incredibly stupid things I've ever witnessed.
Fj
It's a long ago mistake..... peace be with you and your memories.... let go of the negative past .... our leadership will never go back

Listen to the ice banging in the plastic cup 😁

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”