Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Makes the List

vegattk

App Makes the List

Unread post by vegattk » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 am

2012 ROI Rankings: College Education Value Compared

http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2012

Just barely beat the Stink.
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: App Makes the List

Unread post by hapapp » Tue May 07, 2013 11:47 am

But we don't beat Western Carolina.

We rank 1012, Western is 961.

Here are the SBC football playing members for 2014.

Idaho 309
NMSU 433
ULL 611
Ga State 636
Troy 684
USA 784
Tx State 793
App St 1012
Ga Sou 1013
Ark St 1019
ULM not ranked

Here are other UNC system schools:

NC State 155
UNC-CH 214
UNCC 411
ECU 675
NC A&T 680
WCU 961
App St 1012
UNCG 1102
UNCW 1103
UNCP 1183
UNCA 1201

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Tue May 07, 2013 12:51 pm

These "rankings" are not worth the pixels they use.

The problem with these rankings is that they do not factor in the degrees offered by each school. For instance, if a school has an engineering program their grads will make more over the course of their lives and that will increase the average ROI for all of their grads. If a school has a large number of lower paying programs (like education at App) this will skew the results downward. They say nothing about the quality of a school, just how many grads they produce in higher paying fields.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm

newtoasu wrote:These "rankings" are not worth the pixels they use.

The problem with these rankings is that they do not factor in the degrees offered by each school. For instance, if a school has an engineering program their grads will make more over the course of their lives and that will increase the average ROI for all of their grads. If a school has a large number of lower paying programs (like education at App) this will skew the results downward. They say nothing about the quality of a school, just how many grads they produce in higher paying fields.
Not to mention location. Cost of living and salary go hand and hand. Urban folks make more, but it costs them more to live ect. There's also a difference in, say, the north east and the south east as far as that goes.

Very misleading stats.

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Gonzo wrote:

Not to mention location. Cost of living and salary go hand and hand. Urban folks make more, but it costs them more to live ect. There's also a difference in, say, the north east and the south east as far as that goes.

Very misleading stats.
I agree with it being misleading... and not to argue for agruments' sake.. But once a person graduates they generally spread out like a shotgun pattern... They'll hit high COL locations as well as low...

Although I find it really interesting to see the ROI of college tuition. I think we're starting to see a shift in public thought on the cost of education vs. the jobs you find afterwards. A lot of people would look towards those degrees you can: A. Find a job in after graduation and B. Make money doing so.
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 pm

vegattk wrote:But once a person graduates they generally spread out like a shotgun pattern... They'll hit high COL locations as well as low...
Depends on the school, really. How many urban schools have as high a percentage of alumni moving to urbania compared to a school like App?
Last edited by Gonzo on Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Garbage in garbage out.............

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue May 07, 2013 1:45 pm

I think the point for me is that we are still not producing a lot of alums who have high paying jobs. It's not a reflection of the quality of the school but what kinds of jobs alums pursue. While ASU has changed over the years, education is still a major source of employment for ASU alums. It may also speak to the ability to give back compared to some other institutions.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Also what about the kids that go to fancy colleges and get a job in the family's firm or because their dad knows someone. It didn't matter what school they went to they were going to have a high paying job. Secondly, look at some of the programs that APP is very much into teaching, environmental, etc that are not necessarily high paying jobs, but could lead to very much satisfaction. Compare that to an UNCC that will get a lot of students from charlotte that want to go into banking. High paying but a suck job. IMHO

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Tue May 07, 2013 8:40 pm

vegattk wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Very misleading stats.
I agree with it being misleading... and not to argue for agruments' sake.. But once a person graduates they generally spread out like a shotgun pattern... They'll hit high COL locations as well as low...

Although I find it really interesting to see the ROI of college tuition. I think we're starting to see a shift in public thought on the cost of education vs. the jobs you find afterwards. A lot of people would look towards those degrees you can: A. Find a job in after graduation and B. Make money doing so.
Not to argue but I have read in the past that most college graduates tend to live within 50 miles of their school after graduation- I'm not sure that would support your shotgun theory. If I come across a link I will post it. In Apps case, I would guess the shotgun theory applies more than other schools due to our location.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”