Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC System adopts new budget model based on student success and not enrollment numbers

Capt. Ed
School: Appalachian State

UNC System adopts new budget model based on student success and not enrollment numbers

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:04 am

Anyone know how we'll do under this new model?

BambooRdApp

Re: UNC System adopts new budget model based on student success and not enrollment numbers

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:06 am

Damn, Easy-U will be getting a majority of the funding next budget approval. Just kidding😁
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Saint3333

Re: UNC System adopts new budget model based on student success and not enrollment numbers

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:37 am

UNCCH looked around and noticed they’ve suppressed growth while others have passed their numbers. Oh crap we allocate based upon number of students let’s change the metric…

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:55 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:37 am
UNCCH looked around and noticed they’ve suppressed growth while others have passed their numbers. Oh crap we allocate based upon number of students let’s change the metric…
This will also fit well with their no-show class model.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:17 am

At face value, if the “UNC SYSTEM” had anything to do with it I’ll be skeptical.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:34 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:55 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:37 am
This will also fit well with their no-show class model.
Yupp, thus guaranteeing A's for all attending UNC going forward.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:57 pm

They are looking to do a similar things with education system/teacher pay. The current bill would remove years of experience from the equation. We would be the only state in the union where teacher pay was not based on years of experience. I don't remember the number of the bill but I'm sure one could google it if interested.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed May 04, 2022 12:33 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:57 pm
They are looking to do a similar things with education system/teacher pay. The current bill would remove years of experience from the equation. We would be the only state in the union where teacher pay was not based on years of experience. I don't remember the number of the bill but I'm sure one could google it if interested.
That's a tough decision, interesting to hear the side they are falling on. My most tenured employees are not always my best, but they are the highest paid because of annual increases. So do you compensate on what they are doing, or on what they have done? The young guns say on what you're doing. Loyalty though. Tough call.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed May 04, 2022 1:30 pm

mike87 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:33 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:57 pm
That's a tough decision, interesting to hear the side they are falling on. My most tenured employees are not always my best, but they are the highest paid because of annual increases. So do you compensate on what they are doing, or on what they have done? The young guns say on what you're doing. Loyalty though. Tough call.
The biggest problem is that the best students make the best grades and often times the best teachers do not have the best students. "You cannot make brains."

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 04, 2022 1:57 pm

this is crap.................

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri May 06, 2022 1:28 pm

Fantastic idea to pay teachers on results not years. Problem is it will not work. There is nothing in the world more political than a school system.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:42 pm

Been tried before on a bonus system with before and after tests. Some teachers devised a strategy for the before test (not getting many correct answers) and students knocking after test out of park, they got bonus while teachers doing things straight up had lower gains and did not get bonus.
Bring Your A Game!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri May 06, 2022 3:21 pm

It’s time to challenge the no union rule for teachers.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri May 06, 2022 3:23 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:28 pm
Fantastic idea to pay teachers on results not years. Problem is it will not work. There is nothing in the world more political than a school system.
How would you rate Guidance Counselors, EC Teachers such as ones who teach only the severe autistic or BEH? What about extra curricular activities that some teachers have but others not.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri May 06, 2022 3:25 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:42 pm
Been tried before on a bonus system with before and after tests. Some teachers devised a strategy for the before test (not getting many correct answers) and students knocking after test out of park, they got bonus while teachers doing things straight up had lower gains and did not get bonus.
Some teachers' subjects don't have tests required for their students.
Google SUX

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri May 06, 2022 3:51 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:25 pm
huskie3 wrote:
This was in the vocational division, everyone had pre- and post tests.
Bring Your A Game!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri May 06, 2022 4:47 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:51 pm
NewApp wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
Some are simply how well you made a night stand in wood working or how well you changed the oil in a car in auto mechanics. Or how well your seeds came up in Ag or how many breeds of hogs you can identify and, or describe. . How many wpm you can type in keyboarding, Things like that nowadays.
Google SUX

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri May 06, 2022 7:58 pm

Here is a couple links that explain what it is. Yes there is some bias but the info presented is what to look at if you are interested in reading it.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... -licensure

https://ncpolicywatch.com/2022/04/07/st ... pensation/

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:24 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:47 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:51 pm
NewApp wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
Some are simply how well you made a night stand in wood working or how well you changed the oil in a car in auto mechanics. Or how well your seeds came up in Ag or how many breeds of hogs you can identify and, or describe. . How many wpm you can type in keyboarding, Things like that nowadays.
You are way out of touch! I administered the tests - they were content based questions not skill assessments. The things you describe were the day to day assessments the teachers gave.
Bring Your A Game!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:25 pm

appdaze wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:58 pm
Here is a couple links that explain what it is. Yes there is some bias but the info presented is what to look at if you are interested in reading it.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... -licensure

https://ncpolicywatch.com/2022/04/07/st ... pensation/
Thanks for posting, both were informative.
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”