Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student fees and cost of App

appdaze

Student fees and cost of App

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:55 am

https://studentaccounts.appstate.edu/si ... uition.pdf

Good breakdown with definitions for each item towards the end. It's amazing how much universities in general are nickel and diming people to death at this point. We aren't the worst by a long shot but it costs about 20k now for in-state. Jeebus!!! The system has just become like everything else in our lives. You pay for a bunches of services you will likely not ever use.

Source
https://studentaccounts.appstate.edu/tu ... n-and-fees

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student fees and cost of App

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:00 am

App is still a good value, relatively speaking. As someone living in Virginia and paying out-of-state tuition for my son, I can tell you that this year the OOS tuition at App was only about $3k more than in-state tuition in Virginia, and I'm making up that difference on his apartment rent.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:07 am

Educators should be ashamed of the increases. There are so many degrees that are no longer economically feasible to repay the loans incurred.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:17 am

The fees and such seem to be the majority of costs. I believe I remember paying around $1k a semester for just classes my last year or so. But that was over 20 years ago now.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:27 am

appdaze wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:55 am

Good breakdown with definitions for each item towards the end. It's amazing how much universities in general are nickel and diming people to death at this point. We aren't the worst by a long shot but it costs about 20k now for in-state. Jeebus!!! The system has just become like everything else in our lives. You pay for a bunches of services you will likely not ever use.

Source

Most is a result from the North Carolina legislature not properly funding the universities. Legislature likes to pat themselves on the back saying tuition super low but it's just a ruse.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:02 pm

appdaze wrote:

Source
I am not sure where you are coming up with $20K for In-State. Tuition for two semesters in under $8K for the year if you live off campus. If you live on campus with a standard meal plan, App is under $17K for the year.

Now, off-campus living in Boone is borderline crazy. A lot of the new properties are getting $800 to $1,000K per bedroom (Which means a 4 bedroom is drawing $3200 to $4000 a month) and some don't even have enough parking for their residents. Of course, the flip side is that we were willing to share bedrooms and put four people in a two bedroom apartment in the eighties and nineties and now, most want their own bedroom.

I believe on-campus parking is over $500 for a year and the private lots are $600+

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:32 pm

I shared an apartment behind the Red Onion with three friends in the early 90s and I believe our rent was $650 a month for a two bedroom.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:46 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:02 pm
appdaze wrote:

Source
I am not sure where you are coming up with $20K for In-State. Tuition for two semesters in under $8K for the year if you live off campus. If you live on campus with a standard meal plan, App is under $17K for the year.

Now, off-campus living in Boone is borderline crazy. A lot of the new properties are getting $800 to $1,000K per bedroom (Which means a 4 bedroom is drawing $3200 to $4000 a month) and some don't even have enough parking for their residents. Of course, the flip side is that we were willing to share bedrooms and put four people in a two bedroom apartment in the eighties and nineties and now, most want their own bedroom.

I believe on-campus parking is over $500 for a year and the private lots are $600+
https://www.appstate.edu/costs/

The 20k includes what the school expects are other coats as well.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:40 pm

Kimberly Drive apartments, 2 bedrooms in the 90s was $600 a month. Crazy how much prices have risen.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:55 pm

appdaze wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:46 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Source

https://www.appstate.edu/costs/

The 20k includes what the school expects are other coats as well.
Then 20K is probably in line if you including the extras.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:31 pm

Post graduation interest accrual sold separately.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:18 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
appdaze wrote:

Source

My daughters a freshman I paid 9090$ per semester not including parking and the other etc. I have the gray hairs to prove it. More like 21,000 after all the oh yeah that too stuff.

acp

Unread post by acp » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:33 pm

I agree with some of the sentiments that have been expressed. Yes, higher education is getting more expensive. Yes, the General Assembly needs to provide more support. Yes, Appalachian State is still an excellent value.

It's ironic, though, to see collegiate sports fans (which I assume we all are) complaining about the increase in student fees, because a MAJOR reason for the increase in fees at many schools is athletics. Athletic departments, even at many Power 5 schools (and certainly at Group of 5 schools), often operate in the red. In fact, that's sometimes true of ALL sports at the school -- even football. At many schools, EVERY sport is a "non-revenue" sport.

Athletic administrators and fans often argue that "football pays the bills" and "props up" secondary (Olympic) sports, but at many schools, football revenue (as high as it is) doesn't even cover football expenses. That's because of coaches' salaries (which have soared in recent years), buyouts for underperforming coaches who are fired before their contracts expire, stadium enhancements, plush locker rooms and training facilities, travel expenses that are rising because conferences are less geographically compact than in the past, etc. This, in turn, leads to more institutional support and student fees sometimes "propping up" the football program.

Without those fees, ticket prices and booster club donation requirements would be even higher than they are. Wouldn't that complicate efforts to get more people to back the Yosef Club?

The person who created this thread complained about schools "nickel-and-diming" students and charging them for "services you will likely never use." That's EXACTLY what students who AREN'T sports fans (and who don't attend games) would argue about us. Why, they say, should the school jack up student fees to placate the alumni (who likely have more money than they do) and subsidize their entertainment? If the alumni want to field competitive teams, they argue, let them pay what the market demands instead of relying on student fees.

I'll end my rant. Like all of you, I love college sports and I love the Mountaineers. But let's not be hypocritical. If you aren't a student or a parent paying for a student, you really have no right to complain. You and I are benefitting from the system.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:06 am

acp wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:33 pm
I agree with some of the sentiments that have been expressed. Yes, higher education is getting more expensive. Yes, the General Assembly needs to provide more support. Yes, Appalachian State is still an excellent value.

It's ironic, though, to see collegiate sports fans (which I assume we all are) complaining about the increase in student fees, because a MAJOR reason for the increase in fees at many schools is athletics. Athletic departments, even at many Power 5 schools (and certainly at Group of 5 schools), often operate in the red. In fact, that's sometimes true of ALL sports at the school -- even football. At many schools, EVERY sport is a "non-revenue" sport.

Athletic administrators and fans often argue that "football pays the bills" and "props up" secondary (Olympic) sports, but at many schools, football revenue (as high as it is) doesn't even cover football expenses. That's because of coaches' salaries (which have soared in recent years), buyouts for underperforming coaches who are fired before their contracts expire, stadium enhancements, plush locker rooms and training facilities, travel expenses that are rising because conferences are less geographically compact than in the past, etc. This, in turn, leads to more institutional support and student fees sometimes "propping up" the football program.

Without those fees, ticket prices and booster club donation requirements would be even higher than they are. Wouldn't that complicate efforts to get more people to back the Yosef Club?

The person who created this thread complained about schools "nickel-and-diming" students and charging them for "services you will likely never use." That's EXACTLY what students who AREN'T sports fans (and who don't attend games) would argue about us. Why, they say, should the school jack up student fees to placate the alumni (who likely have more money than they do) and subsidize their entertainment? If the alumni want to field competitive teams, they argue, let them pay what the market demands instead of relying on student fees.

I'll end my rant. Like all of you, I love college sports and I love the Mountaineers. But let's not be hypocritical. If you aren't a student or a parent paying for a student, you really have no right to complain. You and I are benefitting from the system.
I don't disagree -- to an extent.

BUT, student elected officials have to approve the increase in student fees for athletics. So, if students don't want to pay the extra fees (when they are on the ballot to vote against), the students should not elect the persons that are for the increases.

Likewise, students that never use the Appalcart, Library, Student Union, or SRC (there are more, but these are just examples) are also paying the same dues as students that do use them. As an example, during my years at App, I didn't ride the Appalcart once. But I did pay over $5,000 in fees to keep it running for the rest of the students to use it. Did I complain? Nope. I agreed to it when I said I was going to attend. They aren't hidden expenses.

It's all a part of being a student at any university. You pay the same dues as all your peers and use what you want to use. It's outlined very clearly when you decide to go to App (or any University) and is a part of your agreement. It is up to you to use the benefits you have agreed to pay for.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:05 am

I am an alum and a parent of a current student. I agree with the above. I view the amounts I pay for my kid as part of the package. For example, my daughter is not that much into sports and only attends periodically. She has never had to use appalcart as she has a part-time job on King St. There are some resources she uses and some she doesn't.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

acp

Unread post by acp » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:14 am

Saying that “it’s all part of the package” is refuting the very point that appdaze is making in the original post.

If I’m not mistaken, the examples listed in the last post or two are services typically reserved for current students. In cases like that, I wholeheartedly agree that “it’s all part of the package.” If some students choose not to utilize certain services (ex. Appalcart), I agree that they shouldn’t complain, because other students ARE benefiting.

What makes sports different is that a large percentage of the beneficiaries of the service (games) aren’t current students.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:23 am

I’m not sure that I agree with the last statement. How does a non student benefit from student funded athletic fees? I don’t see the correlation between elimination of these fees leading to higher ticket prices. Are you speaking in terms of amenities such as nicer seating or concessions?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:42 am

acp wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:14 am
Saying that “it’s all part of the package” is refuting the very point that appdaze is making in the original post.

If I’m not mistaken, the examples listed in the last post or two are services typically reserved for current students. In cases like that, I wholeheartedly agree that “it’s all part of the package.” If some students choose not to utilize certain services (ex. Appalcart), I agree that they shouldn’t complain, because other students ARE benefiting.

What makes sports different is that a large percentage of the beneficiaries of the service (games) aren’t current students.
Appalcart is free to anybody and everybody -- subsidized by agreed upon student fees. When I was a student, around 30% of the ridership was non-students.

Likewise, the library is open to public as well.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:45 am

I was not responding to the original post. I was responding to the post above mine. I thought the general public can use appalcart. So non-students benefit as well. Not sure if non-students have to pay or not.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:49 am

AppDub wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:40 pm
Kimberly Drive apartments, 2 bedrooms in the 90s was $600 a month. Crazy how much prices have risen.
Funny...I lived in Kimberly Drive Apts in 83-85 and our rent was $360 per month. ($180 each). :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”