Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another haunt bites the dust

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another haunt bites the dust

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu May 18, 2023 10:14 am

I disagree with this take. Sure the town has way more chain places, but downtown is still very much local joints. There is a far greater choice of good food and drinking places than there has ever been. Now, most of these are not geared toward the students but it doesn't mean the selection isn't there. The town evolves as all things do, but I still love it everytime I am there.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu May 18, 2023 10:21 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:48 am
app83 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:36 pm
Dont forget PB Scotts and the Bavarian Inn (BI)!
You know your old when..a restaurant or bar is gone and it came after your time. Mother Fletchers, Antlers, PB Scott's. We used to hit that little spot near the Green Park Inn on Friday afternoon. It was on the right heading out of BR and was basically a convenience store/one room place. We could get pitchers and hot dogs. Was it Clyde's?
It was Holly's Tavern back in my day. Saw some great bands at PB Scott's. Drink and Drown nights at Fletchers and Antlers. The BI horrible food and the Gold Room in the Student Union if I had enough money left on my meal card. Boone was dry, many a trek to Blowing Rock to exchange empty kegs. Very stupid and dangerous before someone invented the DD.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu May 18, 2023 2:17 pm

It’s funny how every generation on here has their favorite local hangouts. It’s almost like these things change, but with each new generation, more character forms…
Give 'em hell!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu May 18, 2023 3:15 pm

Every time there's a thread about a local business closing/renaming/changing, it always reverts to talking about the 70s and 80s and PB Scott's.

Hell, most threads here eventually revert to people talking about the 70s and 80s and PB Scott's, which was only open for 7 years.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu May 18, 2023 4:12 pm

What was each generations food rivalry?

While there were some good local eats while I was there, the real question was Los or Dos.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu May 18, 2023 8:04 pm

appdaze wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:12 pm
What was each generations food rivalry?

While there were some good local eats while I was there, the real question was Los or Dos.
The answer to that was "neither" because the Mexican place on 105 near Ingles is better.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Thu May 18, 2023 9:32 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:21 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:48 am
app83 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:36 pm
Dont forget PB Scotts and the Bavarian Inn (BI)!
You know your old when..a restaurant or bar is gone and it came after your time. Mother Fletchers, Antlers, PB Scott's. We used to hit that little spot near the Green Park Inn on Friday afternoon. It was on the right heading out of BR and was basically a convenience store/one room place. We could get pitchers and hot dogs. Was it Clyde's?
It was Holly's Tavern back in my day. Saw some great bands at PB Scott's. Drink and Drown nights at Fletchers and Antlers. The BI horrible food and the Gold Room in the Student Union if I had enough money left on my meal card. Boone was dry, many a trek to Blowing Rock to exchange empty kegs. Very stupid and dangerous before someone invented the DD.
DD in those days didn't mean you didn't drink at all, it meant you didn't drink as much.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu May 18, 2023 9:45 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:17 pm
It’s funny how every generation on here has their favorite local hangouts. It’s almost like these things change, but with each new generation, more character forms…
Yeah, every generation has their places. The only constant is change itself. For example, the only closed place mentioned in the original post that had even opened by my day was Klondike. I had some friends in a pretty good local indie band called Agent Ink who happened to play a show there on my 21st birthday. They gave me a shout out from stage asking everyone to buy me a beer - a bunch of people i didnt know actually did, it was great. There was a punk band out of the Charlotte area I saw play at Klondike a few times called Nemo, their front man would later quit that band and start more bluegrass inspired folk rock band with his brother called The Avett Brothers. I do think Parthenon may have opened during my 6 months post graduation living as a Boone townie until the apartment lease ran out. Before, there was a Mexican place in Parthenon's spot that hosted some cool metal bands. The now closed place I liked best in my day was Rafters, a couple nights per week, we would be there to play pool or darts all night. They had good bands too. Old Crow Medicine Show used to play there often during their time based in Boone, if I recall. Good times.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri May 19, 2023 10:43 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:45 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Yeah, every generation has their places. The only constant is change itself. For example, the only closed place mentioned in the original post that had even opened by my day was Klondike. I had some friends in a pretty good local indie band called Agent Ink who happened to play a show there on my 21st birthday. They gave me a shout out from stage asking everyone to buy me a beer - a bunch of people i didnt know actually did, it was great. There was a punk band out of the Charlotte area I saw play at Klondike a few times called Nemo, their front man would later quit that band and start more bluegrass inspired folk rock band with his brother called The Avett Brothers. I do think Parthenon may have opened during my 6 months post graduation living as a Boone townie until the apartment lease ran out. Before, there was a Mexican place in Parthenon's spot that hosted some cool metal bands. The now closed place I liked best in my day was Rafters, a couple nights per week, we would be there to play pool or darts all night. They had good bands too. Old Crow Medicine Show used to play there often during their time based in Boone, if I recall. Good times.
Rafters was around when I was in school but I didn’t go frequently. I spent a little time at Klondike, but way more at Murphy’s. They had $5 pitchers of Mich Light on Sundays, I think I had one or two of those.
Give 'em hell!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri May 19, 2023 2:47 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:43 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:45 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Rafters was around when I was in school but I didn’t go frequently. I spent a little time at Klondike, but way more at Murphy’s. They had $5 pitchers of Mich Light on Sundays, I think I had one or two of those.
I barely survived Wed/Thursday drink til you drown at Rafters for $5 all you can drink Southpaw. Ended up getting a job there from being there too much.
I remember $5 Killians at Macados on Tuesdays I believe as well.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri May 19, 2023 2:56 pm

Saw some news on AMB where the original owners have purchased it back from Anheuser-Busch. Don't really know the details but I do like the sounds of it.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun May 21, 2023 6:09 pm

Sad to hear Foggy Rock has been sold and will be opening under new name & ownership.

The current owners have poured their hearts into that place and it's been one of our favorites in BR for many years. They deserve to downshift at this point in their lives. Plus, I believe their new business (in the former Sunny Rock location next door) will do VERY well.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon May 22, 2023 11:14 am

I readily admit that my favorite spot for years was Woodlands. Went there a good bit back in the 80's before it burned down. Had a long gap of years until I got back there to the rebuild. Not quite the same but still good. Kind of hated seeing an Outback right next door. Times change and at the end of the day they are just restaurants.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon May 22, 2023 9:03 pm

Though I wouldn’t call it a “haunt” it’s good to see the return of the Graystone Lodge on 105. They’ve done a lot of work to it, and while it’s no Hilton, at least it’s not a Super 8 anymore.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue May 23, 2023 6:29 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:03 pm
Though I wouldn’t call it a “haunt” it’s good to see the return of the Graystone Lodge on 105. They’ve done a lot of work to it, and while it’s no Hilton, at least it’s not a Super 8 anymore.
I hope they keep the quotes coming on the sign. Someone with Super 8 had a great sense of humor. Back in the day, I seem to remember that is was an Econo Lodge. We may have stayed there when it was an Econo Lodge.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue May 23, 2023 8:34 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:29 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:03 pm
I hope they keep the quotes coming on the sign. Someone with Super 8 had a great sense of humor. Back in the day, I seem to remember that is was an Econo Lodge. We may have stayed there when it was an Econo Lodge.
I know that guy. The hotel is becoming a "boutique" hotel and he doesn't think they are going to let him continue, but who knows.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue May 23, 2023 8:39 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:14 am
I readily admit that my favorite spot for years was Woodlands. Went there a good bit back in the 80's before it burned down. Had a long gap of years until I got back there to the rebuild. Not quite the same but still good. Kind of hated seeing an Outback right next door. Times change and at the end of the day they are just restaurants.
Woodlands was the oldest of the old school high country spots as far as I know. I've been going there since 1980, but it is gone for good.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:53 pm

A Mexican restaurant is moving into the Foggy Rock building.
Lots of changes going on right now in BR, where eateries are concerned.

But I'll still be able to sleep at night since Bistro Roca remains open.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”