Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Berger plans to merge UNC system with NC Community Colleges

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Berger plans to merge UNC system with NC Community Colleges

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:18 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:03 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:41 am
mikeyosef wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:59 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 am
This is effectively what they did in Georgia.
Curious, how has that worked out so far? And, how do you think it will work out in the long run? I have warmed to the idea of spending two years in an Associate program before transitioning to a four year school, especially if the student can't afford the higher cost, is unsure of their wants or is not yet prepared for success at the typical 4-year institution.
Yeah perimeter college in Atlanta was the second or third largest community college system in the country and they merged it into Georgia State University but it operates entirely as a separate entity under Georgia State University. I just don't know that I understand what the benefits are. If it wasn't Phil Berger involved I wouldn't be worried about it being a sinister plan.
I agree, you can be confident Phil Berger does not have the University System's best interest at heart. He has been slowly, systematically moving to undermine the system since he's held his leadership role. Not the least of which was pushing Tom Ross out as University president a number of year ago which I felt was very telling. Fortunately, I believe there are many in his own party who value our current University system and don't want major changes. Still as long as he's in a leadership role the future of affordable higher education in NC may well be at risk.

I'm a product of the University system, making more money and living better than my father before me who was the first in his family to attend school in the North Carolina University system, making more money and living a better life than his father before him, my Grandfather, who could never have dreamed of being able to receive a University education like that of my father. Education is the great equalizer and still the best path to a better life for most people. I worry Berger's plans will make that path more difficult for everyday North Carolinians.
Yes. Also telling Phil Berger New York City elitist who went to private prep schools and private colleges all of his life. And boy does he have people snowed. He wants to end public education. Art Pope the brainchild and big dollars behind all of this actually went to chapel Hill before getting his law degree from Wake Forest.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:19 pm

It's about control...and that should scare us...............

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:46 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Curious, how has that worked out so far? And, how do you think it will work out in the long run? I have warmed to the idea of spending two years in an Associate program before transitioning to a four year school, especially if the student can't afford the higher cost, is unsure of their wants or is not yet prepared for success at the typical 4-year institution.
Yeah perimeter college in Atlanta was the second or third largest community college system in the country and they merged it into Georgia State University but it operates entirely as a separate entity under Georgia State University. I just don't know that I understand what the benefits are. If it wasn't Phil Berger involved I wouldn't be worried about it being a sinister plan.
I agree, you can be confident Phil Berger does not have the University System's best interest at heart. He has been slowly, systematically moving to undermine the system since he's held his leadership role. Not the least of which was pushing Tom Ross out as University president a number of year ago which I felt was very telling. Fortunately, I believe there are many in his own party who value our current University system and don't want major changes. Still as long as he's in a leadership role the future of affordable higher education in NC may well be at risk.

I'm a product of the University system, making more money and living better than my father before me who was the first in his family to attend school in the North Carolina University system, making more money and living a better life than his father before him, my Grandfather, who could never have dreamed of being able to receive a University education like that of my father. Education is the great equalizer and still the best path to a better life for most people. I worry Berger's plans will make that path more difficult for everyday North Carolinians.
This a 1000 times over. My only difference is that I am first generation college student, though my dad take some classes at WPCC after his job moved to Mexico as soon as the ink was dried on NAFTA.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:09 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:46 pm
mikeyosef wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

This a 1000 times over. My only difference is that I am first generation college student, though my dad take some classes at WPCC after his job moved to Mexico as soon as the ink was dried on NAFTA.
Sorry to hear about your father; that sucks. It's a story that many can tell in our State which has really gotten the short end of the stick in a major way after NAFTA. Manufacturing jobs left the State faster than a snowman melts in 100 degree weather. And, we are no were near recovered from that manufacturing exodus. I have hoped that the pandemic and supply chain woes might bring some of those jobs, though long lost, back again but I'm not going to hold my breath...I will keep my fingers crossed.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:30 pm

The old peanut farmer stuck us.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:41 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:09 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:46 pm
mikeyosef wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

Sorry to hear about your father; that sucks. It's a story that many can tell in our State which has really gotten the short end of the stick in a major way after NAFTA. Manufacturing jobs left the State faster than a snowman melts in 100 degree weather. And, we are no were near recovered from that manufacturing exodus. I have hoped that the pandemic and supply chain woes might bring some of those jobs, though long lost, back again but I'm not going to hold my breath...I will keep my fingers crossed.
Mission accomplished by both the major political parties. The environment is better off in the US communities that lost all those good paying jobs, but what is happening in the countries where the jobs went to is terrible to the environment. My dad was president of his local union at the time the plant closed and he was told it was not just wages but environmental regulations. Instead of doing the right and moral thing and taking care to not pollute Catawba County GE decided it was best for the stock holders to pollute Mexico.

Of course wages are part of this and the other part of NAFTA was to drive down wages by putting great pressure on wage earners to compete with lower wages from other countries. I bet the wage my dad earned 25 years ago is very close to what the wages being offered in most manufacturing jobs in the area is now. Counting for inflation the manufactoring job today is paying a good bit less, and that is even before the current inflation pressure. And it was not just union jobs that lost out. Caldwell County lost 90% (or more it would seem) of the furniture jobs and that was all non-union. Most of the textile jobs in this state were non-union and those are about all gone.

Canadian and US workers are certainly worse off and the Mexican worker is likely about the same position. If they were better off themselves they would not be coming to this country in the numbers that are arriving. The rich fuckers from all three countries that benefited from all of this are certainly better off.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 am

I'm not sure how we got to NAFTA regarding one particular North Carolina Senator's plan to shake up higher education in North Carolina but as a proud Walker College of Business econ major I thought I'd share this article.

I don't normally share articles from uber conservative think tanks like The Heritage Foundation but I figured it's worth a go with some of the info here. NAFTA was designed and pushed by RONALD REAGAN and super conservative think tanks. Long and short, US BIG BUSINESS wanted this and they got it from Congress with the support of Bill Clinton.

https://www.heritage.org/trade/report/t ... n-realized

So here is reality

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 am

Senator Berger pushed through "the greatest state budget in App State history" .Thank you to him , and his colleagues.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:49 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 am
I'm not sure how we got to NAFTA regarding one particular North Carolina Senator's plan to shake up higher education in North Carolina but as a proud Walker College of Business econ major I thought I'd share this article.

I don't normally share articles from uber conservative think tanks like The Heritage Foundation but I figured it's worth a go with some of the info here. NAFTA was designed and pushed by RONALD REAGAN and super conservative think tanks. Long and short, US BIG BUSINESS wanted this and they got it from Congress with the support of Bill Clinton.

https://www.heritage.org/trade/report/t ... n-realized

So here is reality
NAFTA only involved North American trade partners, I thought. CAFTA was Central America.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:50 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 am
Senator Berger pushed through "the greatest state budget in App State history" .Thank you to him , and his colleagues.
Unfortunately as usual, we arguably didn't get our fair share.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:59 pm

Berger is a joke

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:11 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 am
Taking inflation into account, our budget is worth $1.7 million less than what it was in FY2011. If they had maintained that budget, only growing with inflation, it'd be $154.6 million today.

But yes, lets just look at nominal amounts and pretend the General Assembly actually increased anything for our school, let alone anything related to education in NC.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 am

$123,000,000 for facility upgrades.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:16 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 am
How does that rank with the other 14 or so members of the University System? We spent over $50,000,000 on the NEZ project according to a member of this forum.
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:16 pm
Stonewall wrote:
How does that rank with the other 14 or so members of the University System? We spent over $50,000,000 on the NEZ project according to a member of this forum.
Fayetteville State received $164mm for capital projects.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/news/ ... 654099002/

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 pm

NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Fayetteville State received $164mm for capital projects. I'm glad they did and I'm sure that they needed it but AppState has been the lowest funded UNC system school since the 1970s.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:00 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 pm
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Fayetteville State received $164mm for capital projects. I'm glad they did and I'm sure that they needed it but AppState has been the lowest funded UNC system school since the 1970s.

UNCW $174mm
ECU $300mm+

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:00 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 pm
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

UNCW $174mm
ECU $300mm+
Last edited by NewApp on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 am

How much did UNC-Chapel Hill get (aka UNC-Cheat)?

and/or

How much did NC State get (aka Cow College)?
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:59 am

Can't find any data on that yet.

Hopefully the new hickory campus will be supported by state legislators and that area and increased funding can come for a program there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”