App State fans’ bleep list

Captain Morgan
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State fans’ bleep list

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:33 pm

the Shamecocks are in my list, for chickening out of their trip to Boone. Surprised they didn't try to stop us from coming to Columbia again.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:50 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:09 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:34 pm
I'm also thinking all sports. Charlotte is better than us at baseball and basketball. They do have a better all-sports profile than we do. Football not even close. But that's why I hate them so much. They act like they're destined for major conference membership and thus far - without any actual results to warrant it - they keep stepping up the ladder. Drives me nuts.
They have a better basketball history sure, but we’re coming up on 20 years with no tourney for them and 50 for their magical final four run which was the only time they made it past the 2nd round.
I’d say our bball programs are equal.

I don’t pay enough attention to baseball to care. Same with the other sports, if they are doing better than us than that’s on Doug Gillen to fix.

They are climbing the ladder solely due to the amount of people that reside in their zip code, no other reason. If ga state was in cusa instead of the sun belt, they’d probably be aac now too.

Personally I think uncc, fau, unt et Al are going to do in the aac what they did tp cusa when they were invited but we’ll see.
Our basketball programs are not equal. They were considerably better in basketball RPI than App last year. Their program right now is better.

People do pay attention to baseball. It matters.

However they're climbing the ladder, it's happening.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:57 pm

The fact that Furman isn’t on each and everyone’s top 5 is upsetting.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:22 pm

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:44 am
5. Marshall
4. ECU
3. UNC
2. Beach Chickens ***Cock-a-Doodle Don'ts***
1. Stink

Furman still sucks too.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:32 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:22 pm
Still Furman
Not being rude here. I don't understand the Furman hate anymore. They are beyond irrelevant to us. I was at App during the height of the rivalry and hated them as much as anyone, but they are so far in the rear view mirror I just don't understand why their name even shows up on here anymore. Sincerely curious why, not being a jerk.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:02 pm

AppDub wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:32 pm
canes_mj wrote:
Still Furman
Not being rude here. I don't understand the Furman hate anymore. They are beyond irrelevant to us. I was at App during the height of the rivalry and hated them as much as anyone, but they are so far in the rear view mirror I just don't understand why their name even shows up on here anymore. Sincerely curious why, not being a jerk.
I used to feel the same way, but now I just think back to 2002 and 2005 and laugh.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:10 pm

CCU hasn't made the list for met yet. Sure they had a few recent dings on us but it takes more than that to get on the hate list.

1. Stink. This is a permanent position.
2. JMU. The upstart is 2-8 against us but could be a long thorn in our side in the future. I think they could be the new WCU. A team we mostly beat but upset us at terrible times.
3. Marshall. Blundering turds.
4. UNC. This won't last. They won't play us again after this contract.
5. This one isn't settled. UNCC maybe? Louisiana? ECU?
Last edited by appdaze on Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:26 pm

Still one of the best signs I can remember seeing -

FU And The Horse You Rode In On
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:36 pm

AppDub wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:32 pm
canes_mj wrote:
Still Furman
I was just making a joke, really because I think the "Furman Still Sucks" shirts are funny. I never actually hated them; as in they were never my #1 App opponent I loathed; I moved to Boone in 1986 so until they left the SoCon the team I hated most was Marshall; and then Georgia Southern took over that spot.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:47 pm

For my actual answer it's GaSo, UNCC, and Coastal...they kind of all occupy the same space for different reasons and there's situational year by year fluidity to who's in what spot. Beyond that not really anyone else. UNCC may be #1 because of how they tried to screw us when we were trying to make the move, and their smugness re their program, and the fact that they keep getting conference invites just because of market. I actively pull against UNCC vs every opponent, in every sport. (My niece is going to go to school there starting in Fall so this could be a problematic position for me to hold lol) If Coastal goes back to average for any extended period of time they'd prob drop off the list.

*I'm disqualifying UNC from this list because I've despised them my entire life, independently of anything to do with App; and will continue to do so long after the contract is over.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:48 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:55 pm
I'm surprised at CCU on people's list.

Agreed that Marshall would be #2 on my list, but I remember the 80's and early 90s.
If you went to the game in Conway last year and walked past or sat near the student section, you'd have Coastal on your list as well.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:53 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:48 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Agreed that Marshall would be #2 on my list, but I remember the 80's and early 90s.
If you went to the game in Conway last year and walked past or sat near the student section, you'd have Coastal on your list as well.
They were a precious bunch.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:06 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:47 pm
For my actual answer it's GaSo, UNCC, and Coastal...they kind of all occupy the same space for different reasons and there's situational year by year fluidity to who's in what spot. Beyond that not really anyone else. UNCC may be #1 because of how they tried to screw us when we were trying to make the move, and their smugness re their program, and the fact that they keep getting conference invites just because of market. I actively pull against UNCC vs every opponent, in every sport. (My niece is going to go to school there starting in Fall so this could be a problematic position for me to hold lol) If Coastal goes back to average for any extended period of time they'd prob drop off the list.

*I'm disqualifying UNC from this list because I've despised them my entire life, independently of anything to do with App; and will continue to do so long after the contract is over.
Did uncc do something other than taking our spot in cusa? Not too worried about that one it all went well.

The smugness of their handful of fans is irritating but somewhat understandable. You have to remember that only .1% of uncc students/ alumni care about their sport. The smugness and dysphoria is a psychological defense against the truth of their relative insignificance even in their “own” city

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:11 am

Coastal Carolina = Beach Chickens = Cock-a-Doodle-Don'ts

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:02 am

I wouldn't put ECU or UNC on the list. I don't hate ECU. I do hate UNC, but it's not a rivalry hate.

In no particular order these are my most hated:

Stink
Harrisburg Commuter College
ULL
JMU
Conway Come-Lately College

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:56 am

Until we beat Southern Miss they will be on my list. We owe them for the 1937 season. Only points scored on us that year was 1 TD and 1 PAT. #NeverForgetthe37
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:16 am

I guess I don't really understand the hate for ECU. I've always liked them. Sure, they treated us as the little brother for a while, because we were. Now that we're in the same league I think perception has shifted, at least the friends that I know that went there.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:18 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I will scream it from the rooftops - I’ve never seen a stadium so unprepared for a crowd than I saw that night. Missed most of the first quarter because the dropouts (I mean students) were blocking the entire concourse.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:23 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:18 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I will scream it from the rooftops - I’ve never seen a stadium so unprepared for a crowd than I saw that night. Missed most of the first quarter because the dropouts (I mean students) were blocking the entire concourse.
Same...and we got to entry about 30 minutes before game time ...and missed some of 1st Q. It was a cluster....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:32 pm

I'm an ASU grad and big fan, but let's be realistic. Historically, UNCC's basketball program is much better than ours. We don't have anywhere near the list of star players as they've had in their program.

Byron Dinkins
Cornbread Maxwell
DeMarco Johnson
Henry Williams
Melvin Watkins
Jarvis Lang
Rodney White
Torin Dorn - transferred to NCSU
etc...

we are who we are when it comes to bball.

BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:09 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:34 pm
I'm also thinking all sports. Charlotte is better than us at baseball and basketball. They do have a better all-sports profile than we do. Football not even close. But that's why I hate them so much. They act like they're destined for major conference membership and thus far - without any actual results to warrant it - they keep stepping up the ladder. Drives me nuts.
They have a better basketball history sure, but we’re coming up on 20 years with no tourney for them and 50 for their magical final four run which was the only time they made it past the 2nd round.
I’d say our bball programs are equal.

I don’t pay enough attention to baseball to care. Same with the other sports, if they are doing better than us than that’s on Doug Gillen to fix.

They are climbing the ladder solely due to the amount of people that reside in their zip code, no other reason. If ga state was in cusa instead of the sun belt, they’d probably be aac now too.

Personally I think uncc, fau, unt et Al are going to do in the aac what they did tp cusa when they were invited but we’ll see.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”