Eric Church in ACM's

asu1978

Eric Church in ACM's

Unread post by asu1978 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 am

ASU Alum Eric Church won the ACM's Album of the year "Chief".Does he ever claim us anymore? :roll:

HkyMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Eric Church in ACM's

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 am

Very rarely. It's mentioned in most articles that EC is an ASU alum, especially national pubs and those rags not affiliated with "only" country music, but it seems as if he tries to steer away from the fact unless asked specifically. I don't think of this so much as a diss to us, to ASU, but rather as him putting that marketing/comms degree to good use and playing to his audience. EC has taken the road to Music City as a more old-school, traditional sounding, "new" country artist and as such, his audience, generally speaking as far as generalizations go, is probably not the most educated of country fan-bases. Traditional country artists, with a little rebel on the side, are supposed to have lived a hard-scrabble life, full of bar fights, hard drinking, women rousing and I'm not so sure this is who EC really is. To know that he comes from a fairly affluent family, with a college degree in tow, does not serve to advance his image with this audience. My cousin loves EC, and is a big old-school Waylon, Johnny, etc. guy and I know without question that if he heard EC talking about loving golf and fine wine (which he has talked about with higher-end publications) he would immediately feel less of a connection to him, because that isn't his life...he wants to like those guys who worked in the factory all week, just to cut loose and get rowdy in the bar with the ladies on Friday night, then do it all over again the next week. I'm sure EC has experienced elements of that, especially on his rise to stardom, but that isn't his story, even if his music might sometimes imply otherwise. Eric has found his niche and is parlaying it to stardom...good for him...and it goes to show how much his ASU degree was worth.

1ASUFAN

Unread post by 1ASUFAN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 am

He named his son 'Boone"!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 am

:lol:
1ASUFAN wrote:He named his son 'Boone"!
I used to have a dog named , "Foscoe". Really :lol:

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 am

Wonder if the BTB have considered talking with him about a concert?
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

JonW

Unread post by JonW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 am

I've met Eric several times in Boone, Nasvhille, and even when he played a show in the 'Whee.

When I met him at WCU, I had one of the App stadium towels with me for him to sign. As soon as I walked in the room with that thing he started laughing and told me I was going to get us shot waving that around down here, but that he was glad somebody had some App gear. He also shared a story with me that following our win at Michigan, he wore an ASU football shirt on stage a month later when he played in Ann Arbor.

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am

JonW wrote:I've met Eric several times in Boone, Nasvhille, and even when he played a show in the 'Whee.

When I met him at WCU, I had one of the App stadium towels with me for him to sign. As soon as I walked in the room with that thing he started laughing and told me I was going to get us shot waving that around down here, but that he was glad somebody had some App gear. He also shared a story with me that following our win at Michigan, he wore an ASU football shirt on stage a month later when he played in Ann Arbor.
That is really cool to hear. I know he talks about the Tarheels a lot so I am glad he still likes App too. :D
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

wilsonappman

Unread post by wilsonappman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 am

This is a t shirt he sells at shows!! Notice the hat he is wearing!!
149400_10200129534775207_1714505986_n.jpg

appskimtnswim

Unread post by appskimtnswim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 am

WataugaMan wrote::lol:
1ASUFAN wrote:He named his son 'Boone"!
I used to have a dog named , "Foscoe". Really :lol:
Me and my wife thought we were clever when we named our two dogs. We have a Foscoe and a Jefferson (We dropped the west of his name to make things easier).

ASU1234

Unread post by ASU1234 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 am

bh2oson wrote:
JonW wrote:I've met Eric several times in Boone, Nasvhille, and even when he played a show in the 'Whee.

That is really cool to hear. I know he talks about the Tarheels a lot so I am glad he still likes App too. :D
I think this is what you are referencing........would love to see him in Boone again. Saw him and Gary Allan at the HCC years ago

StumpyCulbreath

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:05 am

I watched most of that show to see if he won something. Great to see him get a big award, and I'm not talking about Church, but man, when did country music start sucking this bad?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm

StumpyCulbreath wrote:I watched most of that show to see if he won something. Great to see him get a big award, and I'm not talking about Church, but man, when did country music start sucking this bad?
Last night.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”