Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

College decision finally made

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

College decision finally made

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 pm

My twins finally decided on college for next fall, literally with hours to go before the deadline. At some point I will elaborate a bit more and give some advice on a few things we went through and share a few thoughts on some areas of improvement that App State admissions should consider, at least from my perspective. And I will also share what I thought went well and appreciated as a parent and alumni. I certainly don't mind discussing anything off list or in the public view for anyone that might have perspective Mountaineers in the next few years.

One twin is going to Meredith, and mainly because Meredith gave her a lot of money and App was not forthcoming with money in any great amount at all.

The other twin is heading to Davidson and potentially she could find herself at Columbia in a dual-degree program. She was offered a nice scholarship from App, but it was not enough to get her to Boone, especially when her twin decided to not go to Boone but head to Meredith. And how can one pass up a chance for an Ivy League diploma? Though I have a feeling she will stay at Davidson for all four years.

I would have been happy with both of them in Boone with their older sister, but I am proud of how things worked out as well.

Both twins presented as very competitive students and it was interesting to see how different colleges were recruiting them through mailings mostly but also phone calls and scholarship opportunities.

Again, I will be more than happy to share my experience with others if you think that could be helpful. I don't have any earth breaking insights, but I do have a few things I could share and offer some small amount of advice.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Re: College decision finally made

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm on a committee that reviews scholarship applicants for App and I can tell you it is extremely competitive for those scholarship dollars. Good luck to your girls, tell them to enjoy the next four years they are amazing.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Congrats, they are going to great schools.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue May 02, 2017 8:11 am

Both girls are headed towards wonderful educations. Congratulations on raising daughters who think for themselves and consider all of their options. That skill will stand them in good stead in the years ahead.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am

My hat is off to you and your wife!!! - 3 daughters WOW! - When our daughter was coming along in middle and high school we had friends who had 3 daughters - I never complained to him as I knew he had 3X the stories I had :lol:
Congrats to your young ladies but also to you and your wife for without doubt passing along outstanding genes!!! :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 am

Our son, Luke , also struggled with his decision of where to attend. He only applied to App and Clemson. He was accepted to both, but since we live in Greenville, SC , he is attending Clemson this fall (for in state tuition). He did say "Well, dad , I will have the heart of a Mountaineer and the diploma of a tiger."

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:08 am

MDaniels84 wrote:Our son, Luke , also struggled with his decision of where to attend. He only applied to App and Clemson. He was accepted to both, but since we live in Greenville, SC , he is attending Clemson this fall (for in state tuition). He did say "Well, dad , I will have the heart of a Mountaineer and the diploma of a tiger."
This is an interesting subject. We are now entering a time in which kids grew up Mountaineer fans but are going to other schools, a nice step in the progression of a fan base.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:24 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:My twins finally decided on college for next fall, literally with hours to go before the deadline. At some point I will elaborate a bit more and give some advice on a few things we went through and share a few thoughts on some areas of improvement that App State admissions should consider, at least from my perspective. And I will also share what I thought went well and appreciated as a parent and alumni. I certainly don't mind discussing anything off list or in the public view for anyone that might have perspective Mountaineers in the next few years.

One twin is going to Meredith, and mainly because Meredith gave her a lot of money and App was not forthcoming with money in any great amount at all.

The other twin is heading to Davidson and potentially she could find herself at Columbia in a dual-degree program. She was offered a nice scholarship from App, but it was not enough to get her to Boone, especially when her twin decided to not go to Boone but head to Meredith. And how can one pass up a chance for an Ivy League diploma? Though I have a feeling she will stay at Davidson for all four years.

I would have been happy with both of them in Boone with their older sister, but I am proud of how things worked out as well.

Both twins presented as very competitive students and it was interesting to see how different colleges were recruiting them through mailings mostly but also phone calls and scholarship opportunities.

Again, I will be more than happy to share my experience with others if you think that could be helpful. I don't have any earth breaking insights, but I do have a few things I could share and offer some small amount of advice.
Congratulations to both of them.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Tue May 02, 2017 11:10 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:My twins finally decided on college for next fall, literally with hours to go before the deadline. At some point I will elaborate a bit more and give some advice on a few things we went through and share a few thoughts on some areas of improvement that App State admissions should consider, at least from my perspective. And I will also share what I thought went well and appreciated as a parent and alumni. I certainly don't mind discussing anything off list or in the public view for anyone that might have perspective Mountaineers in the next few years.

Congratulations to both your daughters. I had a similar situation with my daughter who was accepted at App but chose to go to UNC Asheville. I think that maybe knowing we would be up for every home game may have swayed her. :) I did get sad when App sent her their final warning about enrolling before May 1st. I think that App did the best job of communicating of all the schools she was accepted at. It just wasn't in the cards for her.
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:29 am

MDaniels84 wrote:Our son, Luke , also struggled with his decision of where to attend. He only applied to App and Clemson. He was accepted to both, but since we live in Greenville, SC , he is attending Clemson this fall (for in state tuition). He did say "Well, dad , I will have the heart of a Mountaineer and the diploma of a tiger."
I could have cut and pasted this for my son three years ago. He will finish his Junior year at Clemson on Friday. :D

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:14 pm

My youngest daughter grew up a Mountaineer fan and still is, but she is finishing up a strong 2nd year at NCSU. She still attends App games with me but just not all the time.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue May 02, 2017 1:47 pm

I've praised App on most things, but as my second child has now gone through the adminission process I think this is the area App is falling behind. Our oldest chose App over several state schools, but #2 didn't. And I can't blame my 18 year-old at all. If I strip away my bias for App and Boone I would say they were average in communication and organization compared to the others. In addition to App, she was accepted at UNC-CH, UNCA, Elon, and James Madison. Each of the other schools did a better job of communicating with her and us than App did. I'm bummed because I have really enjoyed having my oldest at App for the last few years and having her bring her friends to our tailgates each Fall. It would have been nice to continue that tradition for a couple more years.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Congrats to you and your family! Great schools with great opportunities and hopefully like MDaniels84's son, your daughters will have the heart of a Mountaineer and the diploma of a Wildcat and Avenging Angel!
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:45 pm

One%20twin%20is%20going%20to%20Meredith,%20and%20mainly%20because%20Meredith%20gave%20her%20a%20lot%20of%20money%20and%20App%20was%20not%20forthcoming%20with%20money%20in%20any%20great%20amount%20at%20all.

During my working career, I recruited at all of the aforementioned institutions for many years. Your daughters would have been fine with any choice that they made or may make in the future (Columbia). Congrats on being the proud dad of three such fine, intelligent young women.

Columbia is, as you know, on a nearby but different planet from ours. MoHeights, Central Park, Broadway, Harlem and etc. are part of the Upper Manhattan neighborhood. If that opportunity materializes, just ask the right questions of people who will give you straight-up answers. But that's for another time. Celebrate the good decisions all of your gals have already made.

If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:23 pm

I finally have some time to sit down and add a bit more. Anyone on this board with children looking into App may find this useful. I also hope I do come across neither bragging nor bitter about the experience. Mostly I am just mentioning some facts and a few observations.

First thing, unrelated to my family's direct experience, but if you are denied admission then give admissions a call. Another set of twins I know of had one twin admitted to App and one twin turned down for admission. The parents called and were told that admissions were not aware of the twin situation and let both into App. The one originally turned away really wanted to attend App, and she will be in Boone this fall. Her sister that was originally admitted is not going to App. I have no idea what the policy is for App and multiple births, but it worked for this family, which did have one parent attend App I do believe. I don't know if this was truly a mistake on App's part or admissions just figured that both were reasonably close to admission standards that if one got in then both should.

One of our twins was admitted to Honor's College at App and the other was not. And looking at scores and such it was pretty much a toss-up on ACT scores and course selection, and one could argue the one turned away from Honors College came in looking a bit better with School of Science and Math on her transcript. As her parents (both alums) we did not get involved with this, though we were a bit surprised to be honest. Her guidance counselor at S&M did make some phone calls and found out about a dozen or so students that should have been sent letters offering Honors College admission had been sent the wrong letters. At a normal public school I doubt many counselors would have time to advocate for a student as my daughters counselor did. I don't think it would have made any difference on Honors scholarships as this twin was not invited to the scholarship weekend, but then again. I guess my point is advocate or make sure someone is advocating if you think something is not going the way it should.

Scholarships- Neither twin received much money from App. One got a small token as alumni parents and the other got a bit more, but the reality is that neither got what I thought they might be in the running for. Both private and public universities in North Carolina gave both a lot more money than App was willing to offer, which is why neither is attending App.
One of the twins was valedictorian in her class and the other twin would have been in the running had she not moved on to Sci and Math. The Greensboro paper lists all the valedictorians in the public schools in Guilford county. With the exception of my daughter I think all the other valedictorians were planning to attend UNC-CH. I would love to see App be more competitive with this caliber of student, and that most likely is going to take scholarship dollars. UNC-CH has a leg up on App in many cases if only because of their name, but students be incentivized to go to other schools. But that takes money.

A few other notes: I contacted my home dept. (Physics and Astronomy) as a parent and got a very nice and quick reply back. It may have helped to have identified myself as an alumnus of the department. Another department was contacted by a daughter. She wanted to sit in on a class one day, which had not been a problem at any other college she inquired into. She never heard back from anyone in the department with even a short reply. That sort of lack of interaction is not the norm at Appalachian in my experience but it does not look good in my view.
What I really want to mention is this:
Please help fund the Appalachian Fund. I am not trying to discourage you from spending on athletics, this is being posted on an athletics board, but please don’t forget about the academic side of App State. I know many of you give to all aspects of Appalachian, and please continue to do so, but let’s do all we can to build the Appalachian Fund to ever greater heights. There is a reason my twins received such good offers from other schools. Yes they are competitive students and present themselves very well to admissions, and I do think App would have been more forthcoming with scholarships if the Appalachian Fund was better funded.

On a very positive note, the oldest daughter will be a senior at App in a few weeks. Her academic growth has been wonderful and speaks so much of the professors at Appalachian. She is a very hard worker and cares about her coursework, and that goes a long ways in college as we all know, but her basic reading/writing/mathematics skills have grown so much, and App State deserves lots of credit for this.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Saint3333 wrote:I'm on a committee that reviews scholarship applicants for App and I can tell you it is extremely competitive for those scholarship dollars. Good luck to your girls, tell them to enjoy the next four years they are amazing.
Some from App days of old (late 80's) don't understand just how competitive those dollars are. My older daughter did well with scholarship dollars from App. My younger one got zero not even alumni. The difference- older was valedictorian younger was 9 or 10. Some good friends I graduated with were offended because UNCA offered scholarships and App did not. So much so that they dropped out of Yosef. Again, it is very competitive unlike when we attended and got academic money with 3.0 coming out of HS.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:20 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:I'm on a committee that reviews scholarship applicants for App and I can tell you it is extremely competitive for those scholarship dollars. Good luck to your girls, tell them to enjoy the next four years they are amazing.
Some from App days of old (late 80's) don't understand just how competitive those dollars are. My older daughter did well with scholarship dollars from App. My younger one got zero not even alumni. The difference- older was valedictorian younger was 9 or 10. Some good friends I graduated with were offended because UNCA offered scholarships and App did not. So much so that they dropped out of Yosef. Again, it is very competitive unlike when we attended and got academic money with 3.0 coming out of HS.
I agree on the competitive nature of the money. I am guessing that the growth in the scholarship part of the Appalachian Fund is not keeping pace with the cost of attendance, which is not helping, and App is attracting a higher caliber of student overall than when I attended, and I am not complaining about that either.

The one twin that got very little from App got a pretty good package from UNC-W, certainly better than what App offered. The valedictorian got more from UNC-CH than what App was offering, and I attribute to the difference in the endowment sizes.

I can't afford to give much to Yosef Club, but I don't plan to back off that, nor do I plan to back off what I give to the Appalachian Fund. I am not bitter. And I always give more to the Appalachian Fund than Yosef Club each year and I plan to continue to do that as well.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:18 pm

I don't have the time (or energy) to do this, but it would be interesting to see the endowments of all the schools mentioned in this thread. I would guess that unfortunately App is at the bottom of the list, along with UNCA (which is much smaller and younger than App).
I also hope our Appalachian Family will help grow the endowment. As much as I want to support first generation/need based scholarships, it sounds like the kids mentioned in this thread would have benefited from App having more merit based $$$, and the merit based offers will continue to raise the academic profile of our school.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 pm

The list below is 2015 rankings. App's is up to about 101 Million for the last fiscal year reported, according to US News and World Reports latest University rankings. I know there were other schools talked about in the thread but this is most of the NC schools.

Below are a list of the endowments from North Carolina colleges and universities included in the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments. They are ranked in order of total size (with national ranking and the 2015 rate of return).

(15) Duke University: $7.297 billion (3.7%)
(32) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill & Foundations: $2.989 billion (10.9)
(78) Wake Forest University $1.167 billion (1.7%)
(98) N.C. State University & Foundations: $984 million (11.2)
(141) Davidson College: $683 million (5.1%)
(272) UNC Greensboro Investment Fund: $249 million (-1.3%)
(292) Elon University: $211 million (11.9%)
(332) UNC Charlotte: $179 million (6.2%)
(342) East Carolina University: $170 million (3.6%)
(450) Queens University: $98 million (-0.8%)
(458) Meredith College: $95 million (3.2%)
(461) Lenoir-Rhyne University: $95 million (-3.0%)
(462) Appalachian State University: $94 million (2.6%)
(479) UNC Wilmington: $88 million (3.3%)
(516) Guilford College: $79 million (-2.7%)
(550) Western Carolina University: $68 million (5.4%)
(598) Warren Wilson College: $55 million (2.0%)
(622) High Point University: $48 million (0.5%)
(623) North Carolina A&T State University: $48 million (9.9%)
(661) UNC Asheville: $40 million (7.7%)
(668) Winston-Salem State University: $37 million (8.5%)
(673) William Peace University: $36 million (4.2%)
Note: William Peace University, N.C. Central University, Shaw University and St. Augustine's University were not included in the study.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 am

It would be interesting to note size of the endowment per student size.

Harder to find would be how much of the endowment is earmarked for specific uses that are not allowed for student aid. I have read that Harvard has some significant part of their endowment set up to only be used in very specific manners per the original gifts given to Harvard, and those requirements are not always very useful today compared to years past when the gift was given.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Alumni Chatter”