Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Louisiana gets Tenn.

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
appdaze

Louisiana gets Tenn.

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:49 pm

I am extremely jealous of Louisiana. Getting to play UT in the tourney would have been a regional boon for us win or lose. And if by some miracle we had won we would get to play Duke in the second round, again a regional boon for our brand marketing. This is why we have to put more into basketball. This is why our students need to give a damn and show up. This is why our alum need to show support in whatever ways they can. This is why we have to be throwing more money at a coaching staff to be as attractive as we can. I enjoy our football program and I understand why it's top dog. We just can't be a one trick pony because when that pony slips up we have to have something else to help carry the brand.

Congrats Louisiana. I'll be pulling for Rick Barnes though as an ol hickory boy.

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Louisiana gets Tenn.

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:15 pm

Give more ...we pay more....not only for coaches but amenities for the players, etc.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:43 pm

I think that there will be rare exceptions going forward with mid majors actually shocking the world in basketball beyond a one year deal. If an App somehow brings in even 2 players who didn't get looks or offers from the big boys and those guys blossom into studs they more than likely will bolt for bigger opportunities combined with NIL deals. It's really hard to imagine us going like 22-9, winning the Belt and retaining our coach and or a core of the roster for the next year.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:38 pm

Do you buy season tickets ?

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:49 pm

Cajuns might actually have a decent shot at the upset. I believe UT will be without their PG. UT defense is something serious though.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:00 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:49 pm
Cajuns might actually have a decent shot at the upset. I believe UT will be without their PG. UT defense is something serious though.
I will be taking the Cajuns and the points.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:33 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:15 pm
Give more ...we pay more....not only for coaches but amenities for the players, etc.
I see peer teams doing what needs to be done. We’re not.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:43 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:33 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:15 pm
I see peer teams doing what needs to be done. We’re not.

Great point! I posted this on another thread but I think it’s worth another look. All we have to do is look at STINK. They look as if they are trending up in football with a big time hire. Baseball is borderline top 20 every year and they just fired a .500ish basketball coach. Looks, to me, like they are focusing on improvement. All this during the same environment that all G5 schools have faced!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:34 am

There have been a myriad of topics/discussions/debates regarding overall App State athletics to include excuses and explanations for success or failure. How much does the environment in the High Country come into play with recruiting? Us old heads talk about going to football games in crappy weather and some seem to enjoy it. Baseball has to basically ride it out for a month or so until we actually get decent weather for home games. We get pretty good weather in the area in the summer and early fall and when Spring finally arrives it's nice again but we have to admit that winter can be brutal. Overall how much does the environment affect recruiting? We not only have dreary weather for stretches we also have lots of in state schools to battle against for recruits. Other schools in similar areas of the country (like Virginia or West Virginia mountains) don't necessarily have as many schools to compete against. I could be wrong but it has to be a factor. While I love the area I can see an 18 year old who has never been to the mountains being a little tougher to sell to.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:06 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:34 am
There have been a myriad of topics/discussions/debates regarding overall App State athletics to include excuses and explanations for success or failure. How much does the environment in the High Country come into play with recruiting? Us old heads talk about going to football games in crappy weather and some seem to enjoy it. Baseball has to basically ride it out for a month or so until we actually get decent weather for home games. We get pretty good weather in the area in the summer and early fall and when Spring finally arrives it's nice again but we have to admit that winter can be brutal. Overall how much does the environment affect recruiting? We not only have dreary weather for stretches we also have lots of in state schools to battle against for recruits. Other schools in similar areas of the country (like Virginia or West Virginia mountains) don't necessarily have as many schools to compete against. I could be wrong but it has to be a factor. While I love the area I can see an 18 year old who has never been to the mountains being a little tougher to sell to.
I guess it depends what sport you are talking about? Baseball is a tough sell but with the new Hickory branch maybe there can be some agreement that the team can play at the Crawdads for Feb and March. I know they have a few games (4) there but logistics and field maintenance probably come into play.

As for bball once a winning culture is established things should get easier. BB is played indoors and so being cold shouldn't be a problem. For the majority of the country -winter is cold.

You would think golf would struggle but they see to be very competitive.

I think you are spot on when you say there's a myriad of topics/discussions/debates regarding overall App State athletics. Again I'll get some blow back but It come down to how much money do you want to invest (as a university and fans) towards the athletic program to put them in a better position to succeed.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:10 am

I will be pulling for LaLa. Hope the win. Helps conference overall. With that said, there are certain teams from SBC, that if the made NCAA tournament, I would pull for them to lose by 40...Some hatred is real..,🤣🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:47 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:06 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:34 am
I guess it depends what sport you are talking about? Baseball is a tough sell but with the new Hickory branch maybe there can be some agreement that the team can play at the Crawdads for Feb and March. I know they have a few games (4) there but logistics and field maintenance probably come into play.

As for bball once a winning culture is established things should get easier. BB is played indoors and so being cold shouldn't be a problem. For the majority of the country -winter is cold.

You would think golf would struggle but they see to be very competitive.

I think you are spot on when you say there's a myriad of topics/discussions/debates regarding overall App State athletics. Again I'll get some blow back but It come down to how much money do you want to invest (as a university and fans) towards the athletic program to put them in a better position to succeed.
No blowback.App basketball "fans" invest very little .Our ROI is , I believe,a net positive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”