Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ECU SunBelt?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
AppWyo
School: Appalachian State

ECU SunBelt?

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:03 pm

Is it just me or is ECU courting the Sun Belt Conference?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Y6XwPGqSE

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: ECU SunBelt?

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:31 am

It’s just you I think.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:40 am

Yep, just looks like a typical university advertisment. Not seeing the SB link other than it was sunny during the video
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:14 am

I'm pretty sure the connection he was making was all the references to rising in the video and the Together We Rise branding of the Belt.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 am

this has been discussed on the SBCbbs. Its the long term play but we need to make up ALOT of ground.

SBC fb has to consistently get hte NY6 bid over AAC/MWC
SBC needs to occasionally get a 2nd bball bid (i think the new AAC is a 2 max bid conference)
SBC Tv deal needs to improve to at least on par with AAC/
AAC exit fee has to go down, which it might if Memphis/SMU/USF leave.

frankly all else being equal why would ECU be in a conference from Philly to San Antonio when the SBC East exists (assuming the $$ is equal).

I think its possible, but not probable that ECU goes to the SBC in the future. I think its more likely if the top AAC brands leave we see a wholesale restructuring and the MECC comes to fruition.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:45 am

You'll need SMU and Memphis to jump first.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:07 am

10 years minimum, literally everything going the SB’s way, and literally everything going wrong for the AAC during that time for ECU to be interested.

*so you’re telling me there’s a chance!!!*

It’s a fun thought experiment though. ECU does belong in the Sun Belt but for all the reasons listed above (99 of them being money) it’ll be the late 2030s before ECU moves to the SBC.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:54 am

Conversations took place with them last summer. They had the opportunity to join. Interest remains, to a degree, on both sides. They will have to make the first move at this point as we are set for the foreseeable future.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:33 am

Considering the new additions they have a much better shot at a conference title where they are vs the new Belt.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:47 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:54 am
Conversations took place with them last summer. They had the opportunity to join. Interest remains, to a degree, on both sides. They will have to make the first move at this point as we are set for the foreseeable future.
3 November 2021 was the date given for the video on YouTube; I wonder if the video was made with the possibility that it was in preparation of an announcement that ECU would be joining the Sun Belt?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:33 pm

Stonewall wrote:
If you believe what people say these ADs and presidents are talking to each other constantly. They don’t like being blind sided and keeping lines of communication open with general talks ongoing keeps them nimble. I was looking more at the money - current media payouts and conference exit fees. Maybe things change quickly but I couldn’t see it happening before 2030.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:24 pm

Yes Sir, the conversations are ongoing at several levels. As I understand it, the pitch was basically "if you will accept, you will receive an invitation". They were our number one target ,App State(not necessarily the 'Belt) and there was some significant support in the System and the Legislature. I do believe that it remains a topic of interest .It would be more complicated now and we would likely have to invite UTEP as a western counterweight - which Texas State lobbied hard for with or without ECU,to no avail.I don't know about the money or if it will happen , but it could have.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:32 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:47 am
Stonewall wrote:
3 November 2021 was the date given for the video on YouTube; I wonder if the video was made with the possibility that it was in preparation of an announcement that ECU would be joining the Sun Belt?
Anything's possible but just doesn't seem smart to show your hand for a move you almost made or would still possibly make in the future.

ECU would definitely fit in this new SBC. They've always wanted to be at the highest level but the ACC doesn't and never will want them. The Big East didn't want them until it was collapsing and it brought ECU out of their element. CUSA 1.0 and 2.0 were a good mix of major metro and rural schools. But the jump to the AAC brought just the metro CUSA schools, with ECU being the only exception.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:22 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 am
this has been discussed on the SBCbbs. Its the long term play but we need to make up ALOT of ground.

SBC fb has to consistently get hte NY6 bid over AAC/MWC
SBC needs to occasionally get a 2nd bball bid (i think the new AAC is a 2 max bid conference)
SBC Tv deal needs to improve to at least on par with AAC/
AAC exit fee has to go down, which it might if Memphis/SMU/USF leave.

frankly all else being equal why would ECU be in a conference from Philly to San Antonio when the SBC East exists (assuming the $$ is equal).

I think its possible, but not probable that ECU goes to the SBC in the future. I think its more likely if the top AAC brands leave we see a wholesale restructuring and the MECC comes to fruition.
I don't think that the new AAC will be a two bid conference unless two teams each have a special season every now and again.

Memphis is a mess. They possibly will be looking for a new coach and with the conference soon a shell of it's previous self just isn't going to be as attractive as it once was.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:59 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:24 pm
Yes Sir, the conversations are ongoing at several levels. As I understand it, the pitch was basically "if you will accept, you will receive an invitation". They were our number one target ,App State(not necessarily the 'Belt) and there was some significant support in the System and the Legislature. I do believe that it remains a topic of interest .It would be more complicated now and we would likely have to invite UTEP as a western counterweight - which Texas State lobbied hard for with or without ECU,to no avail.I don't know about the money or if it will happen , but it could have.
timing definitely isn't right. We need ot significantly up the TV $$$.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”