Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No sunbelt in CFP

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
appdaze

No sunbelt in CFP

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:47 pm

What a joke this CFP is. They will do anything to keep the SEC, Ohio State, One of the Michigan's and the couple other big money makers in the top. The Sunbelt has no representation right now and Cincy is getting absolutely crapped on. If Bama loses to GA in the SEC championship and if Ohio State beats Michigan State and they still keep Cincy out then to hell with the CFP.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: No sunbelt in CFP

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:07 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:47 pm
What a joke this CFP is. They will do anything to keep the SEC, Ohio State, One of the Michigan's and the couple other big money makers in the top. The Sunbelt has no representation right now and Cincy is getting absolutely crapped on. If Bama loses to GA in the SEC championship and if Ohio State beats Michigan State and they still keep Cincy out then to hell with the CFP.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
What exact ranking do you think is a joke? I posted on here before that UTSA and others would not be ranked like people thought. I don't think Alabama should be #2 and I would have changed a few other spots (like Minnesota should be lower) and I would add Penn State but overall their list is close. The CFP is based on eye test and resume. Show me a resume by anyone in the Sun Belt that is better than those ranked.

I put a list of teams before on here last week and their list is very close to mine. I had 22 of the 25 teams listed. Instead of Minnesota, SDSU and Fresno State I would have Arkansas, Penn State and Clemson or Texas but I am pretty sure those 4 along with UTSA, CCU, App, SMU, Houston, Florida, and Louisiana are all in that next tier of 10 or so teams considered. It is fair to critique this list but the AP and Coaches Polls are the biggest jokes. I'm glad this is out so we can stop considering that garbage the AP puts out.

Just to show you how the media truly does not really know what they are doing (for the most part) just watch them adjust and push in those ranked by the CFP first when they have to drop someone out that loses in their 19-25 range.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Joke for sure.
I think I called it a few weeks ago on Cincinnati getting snubbed. No way a G5 gets in playoffs. Louisiana should be in there for Sunbelt for sure. Real Crap Show!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:23 pm

It's unacceptable that Cincinnati isn't 4th.

I didn't expect Louisiana or Coastal to be ranked. IF we hadn't beaten Coastal then I would have put their inclusion as a weak maybe.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm

Outside of Notre Dame, who has Cincinnati played? Past two games were way closer than they should have been considering Navy and Tulane each have one win. You can't control your schedule, but you definitely have to show better performances against inferior opponents. Every team ranked ahead of them would have had backups in by the 3rd quarter against Navy and Tulane. Additionally from the games I've seen this year, every team ranked ahead of Cincinnati would beat Cincinnati if they played today.

For Cincinnati to have a chance they need to blow teams out the rest of the year. I think if that happens they have a stronger argument.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:36 pm

I really have no problem with the first poll and actually think Cincy is ranked a bit high. I don't think that Cincy would beat Oklahoma with Caleb Williams at qb and yet they are still ranked 2 spots ahead of them. Does anyone really think that Cincy would beat Georgia, Alabama, Oregon, Michigan State or Ohio State? I sure don't and those are the teams ahead of them. I also don't think they would beat Michigan or Oklahoma and Cincy is ranked higher than both of those teams. There are some really good G5 teams but they generally aren't better than the elite P5 teams and that applies to Cincy and those ranked ahead of them.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:51 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm
Outside of Notre Dame, who has Cincinnati played? Past two games were way closer than they should have been considering Navy and Tulane each have one win. You can't control your schedule, but you definitely have to show better performances against inferior opponents. Every team ranked ahead of them would have had backups in by the 3rd quarter against Navy and Tulane. Additionally from the games I've seen this year, every team ranked ahead of Cincinnati would beat Cincinnati if they played today.

For Cincinnati to have a chance they need to blow teams out the rest of the year. I think if that happens they have a stronger argument.
They beat IU by more than MSU did. Look for common opponents.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:01 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:36 pm
I really have no problem with the first poll and actually think Cincy is ranked a bit high. I don't think that Cincy would beat Oklahoma with Caleb Williams at qb and yet they are still ranked 2 spots ahead of them. Does anyone really think that Cincy would beat Georgia, Alabama, Oregon, Michigan State or Ohio State? I sure don't and those are the teams ahead of them. I also don't think they would beat Michigan or Oklahoma and Cincy is ranked higher than both of those teams. There are some really good G5 teams but they generally aren't better than the elite P5 teams and that applies to Cincy and those ranked ahead of them.
I agree - no SB team deserves it right now - Yes, Cincy beat ND at South Bend and that is a very good win, ND is not a powerhouse team by any means - they should have lost at FLA St, they should have lost to VA Tech and barely beat Toledo - their best win is 5-3 Wisconsin #21
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:12 pm

While I agree that it’s highly unlikely that any G5 will ever be in the final 4 and most polls are generally useless (especially preseason) a committee using the eye test has pretty much gotten it right. Cincinnati hasn’t really been able to show their worth yet. If they were ranked 2nd to start and don’t lose how do you drop them? The teams perceived to be better are ranked higher and should be. Let it play out. Michigan St has some tough games left and Alabama still has Auburn and probably Georgia in the SEC championship game.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:56 pm

What’s funny to me as fans of a team that is basically the same as cincy how many of you are crapping on cincy not playing anyone or “they haven’t beaten bad teams by enough”. I give you oklahoma as exhibit a. Beat Tulane, yea that Tulane by one score and were out played by Kansas two weeks ago. But yet no one really blinks an eye over Oklahoma who I think is really overrated being right up there. But somehow Cincinnati hasn’t proven themselves enough yet. Even though they proved last years success wasn’t a fluke. If we were in Cincy’s exact position we would be going nuts being ranked 6 and rightfully so

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:00 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm

If that’s your metic then why not just say the winner of the sec title game is the national
Champ. What is cincy supposed to do? Everyone can’t play everyone. Oklahoma has squeaked by all season but because they are Oklahoma no one says anything about them being in the top
4. It’s really ridiculous

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:03 pm

That's true. but I think we are speaking realistic and not as a partisan - I agree OLKA is really lucky to be undefeated but Cincy is ranked higher
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 pm

"If that’s your metic then why not just say the winner of the sec title game is the national
Champ."

Well - there is your leading candidate --- of course if Bama wins they will have to beat UGA again -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 pm

Last 13 years - 9 SEC - 3 ACC - 1 Big 10

2020 Alabama CFP
2019 LSU CFP
2018 Clemson CFP
2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:02 pm

Nobody would question Cincinnati's ranking had they not started as high as they did in a pointless preseason poll.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:14 am

As much as I would like to see a G5 team in the playoff, as long as it is four teams, we'll never see it; and I don't think we should. Cincinnati is simply not comparable to the top P5 teams. In a one off situation, they might win, but over the course of the season they just wouldn't stack up. There are probably 20 teams in the ranking who would have the same record as Cincinnati if they played the same schedule, but Cincinnati would likely not be undefeated if they had played one of the P5 schedules.

I get it, it sucks. I also think it sucks, but there is no objective metric that puts Cincinnati in the top 4, and until the playoff expands, I don't think there ever will be for a G5.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:57 am

Upon further review the initial ranking could have been much easier-

Georgia (win out, unbeaten they are in)
Michigan St (same as above)
Oklahoma (same)
Wake (same)

Cincinnati (win out, out)

Alabama would have 2 losses
No other ACC team with a chance
Oregon (lost to Stanford who has 5 losses)
Ohio State would have 2 losses (including to Michigan State)

Just my opinion but had the committee ranked those teams above 1-5 and let the next 4-5 games play out it would make sense. Down the road a one loss Alabama could face Ga in the title game. If they win then those 2 are probably in. Can’t keep an undefeated Michigan State out. If Wake, OU and Cincinnati all go undefeated determine who had the most impressive resume. Whoever they chose out that 3 gets killed in the playoffs further ruining the argument for expansion. Neither Wake nor OU would keep Ga under 40 and both would struggle to score.

If that scenario held true who else has an argument for inclusion? Baylor and Ok State will have lost to OU, Ohio State to Michigan State. A one loss Oregon will have won a weak Pac12. Seems fairly clear already.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:40 am

So they would get crushed in the cfp, they wouldn’t be undefeated with that schedule, haven’t played nobody, etc etc. We won’t ever know unless you give them a chance. 4 is too small of a playoff anyway but they should still get a chance.
That’s what makes March madness so special, every team that makes it has a chance. UMBC/Virginia anyone? George mason? VCU? The need to expand the playoff is so evident.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:45 am

As long as G5 people “think” this way it certainly never will happen. Does anyone know the metrics used by the committee? Seems like the eye test carries a lot of weight: “I think this and I Think that”.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:16 am

Although it will never happen, we should have a 12-team playoff; 10 conference champions and 2 at-large.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”