Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

If FBS move is real, let's keep it classy!

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Maddog1956
School: Appalachian State

If FBS move is real, let's keep it classy!

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Hopefully this time the move to FBS is real, but let's try to be classy about it. Just remember how it felt when we didn't get a CUSA invite. Even if we got kicked about it, now is not the time for payback, etc. I'm hearing lot's of congrat's around the SB, let's prove how special of a school we are.

We can come out with our head's up or a stain in our shorts.

BooneTown
School: Coastal Carolina

Re: If FBS move is real, let's keep it classy!

Unread post by BooneTown » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 pm

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Broken link? Doesn't work on my phone

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:46 pm

mtnjax wrote:
Broken link? Doesn't work on my phone
I haven't tied it on my phone but you might can search for ...

Source: Appalachian to leave SoCon for Sun Belt

google got the hit on that

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

I keep hearing comments about moving up with class. Frankly, I would not expect anything less from App State. In my opinion we have always set a tremendous example. Our standard will make the SBC proud. Go App!

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:21 pm

appgrunt71 wrote:I keep hearing comments about moving up with class. Frankly, I would not expect anything less from App State. In my opinion we have always set a tremendous example. Our standard will make the SBC proud. Go App!
Me too, but I have already seen it happening on some of the other boards.

And everyone has the right to express themselves however they wish, but it was just a reminder. It might not be "The whole world is watching", but it is our chance to really shine, build relationships and even some rivalries. I'd just like to see them for the right reasons.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm

appgrunt71 wrote:I keep hearing comments about moving up with class. Frankly, I would not expect anything less from App State. In my opinion we have always set a tremendous example. Our standard will make the SBC proud. Go App!
:lol:

You must not have visited the Sun Belt board in the past year where the powers that be actually created a thread asking FCS (GSU and ASU) fans to tone it down. Seems a few of our more..exuberant..posters leave steaming piles on many a message board.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 pm

And I am all for having rivals and kidding and having even lost my cool a few times (maybe noticed on this board), but this should be good news and and all I'm saying is let's not dirty the air with negative stuff.

Almost everything I've heard so far has been "welcome to the SB" or "glad to hear it for you guys", buy there're always those that have to pull failure from the jaws of victory. :lol:

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 pm

If ASU wants to do this... and wants to do it for the right reasons.. I'm good...

But I still have this lingering feeling that we're STILL sitting at the kiddy table.

I certainly hope I'm wrong. Maybe we'll start to see ASU get air time on ESPN and in the NC newspapers... :roll:
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 pm

vegattk wrote:If ASU wants to do this... and wants to do it for the right reasons.. I'm good...

But I still have this lingering feeling that we're STILL sitting at the kiddy table.

I certainly hope I'm wrong. Maybe we'll start to see ASU get air time on ESPN and in the NC newspapers... :roll:
I guess so. If it didn't both you that the Apps were "sitting at the kiddy table" before, it shouldn't bother you now. ;)

I don't have any reason to doubt that App State is doing this for the right reasons.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm

vegattk wrote:If ASU wants to do this... and wants to do it for the right reasons.. I'm good...

My main concern is the travel, but the Admin say the numbers work.

If the SoCon would have stayed a conference of schools with greater then 15k students and the media outlets weren't out buying up all the conferences, it might not have been a big deal to me, but that's not what it is.

No one can promise they'll be more coverage, but with the main media buying so deep into these other conferences, I don't think they would cover anything else like they have in the past. Plus since the SoCon has become a conference with most school of <2K student population, they knew that there wasn't that much of a fan base.

I didn't know much about the SB (still don't) but they do have some bowl/TV deals, send several teams to the NCAA, and if they get a playoff, be in the running for national titles (I think). All of which seems pretty positive to me.

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:

I guess so. If it didn't both you that the Apps were "sitting at the kiddy table" before, it shouldn't bother you now. ;)

I don't have any reason to doubt that App State is doing this for the right reasons.
I never said I didn't want out of the SOCON... I've always been a post-season guy anyway.

I'm just now lamenting the fact that my potential season of 15 chances to watch ASU football will be trimmed by 3... That my seat prices will probably go up when I can barely afford them now... and that I won't be able to drive down the road to watch an away game (The ONLY positive for the SOCON)...

Here's to hoping we don't grow too "big" for our britches too quickly...

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 pm

It's a great day to be a Mountaineer!

Let's continue this great day by showing how excited we are to play these amazing schools in the Sun Belt Conference. They are really welcoming us with open arms, even more so than they are welcoming Georgia Southern. App State is classy, but sometimes rowdy. Let's show them what an awesome school we are by being true Mountaineers!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm

vegattk wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

I never said I didn't want out of the SOCON... I've always been a post-season guy anyway.

I'm just now lamenting the fact that my potential season of 15 chances to watch ASU football will be trimmed by 3... That my seat prices will probably go up when I can barely afford them now... and that I won't be able to drive down the road to watch an away game (The ONLY positive for the SOCON)...

This is only step one in the process. This situation is very fluid and will be for a couple more years. Don't be surprised, once the legal cases play out, if we find ourselves in a merged conference or a larger conference with regional divisions. Things are going to take a bit to fully play out but I would not be surprised to see us in our own division again with a full playoff. But we have to at least be FBS or we might find ourselves playing D-II ball for real.

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 pm

firemoose wrote:
vegattk wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

This is only step one in the process. This situation is very fluid and will be for a couple more years. Don't be surprised, once the legal cases play out, if we find ourselves in a merged conference or a larger conference with regional divisions. Things are going to take a bit to fully play out but I would not be surprised to see us in our own division again with a full playoff. But we have to at least be FBS or we might find ourselves playing D-II ball for real.
And THAT is my hope Moose.... Which I why I'm not blowing a gasket at all of this...

I also think that the BIG FBS conferences are going to do the squeeze again and once again we'll see a split with hopefully a better post-season experience.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:22 pm

vegattk wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

All are valid concerns, and I'm with you. I'm not necessarily overjoyed with the Sun Belt, but I am glad to be getting out of the SoCon. It appears the SBC is the only option for now, and the SBC > SoCon.

However, DON'T talk about not getting your seats! :twisted:
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:26 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
vegattk wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

All are valid concerns, and I'm with you. I'm not necessarily overjoyed with the Sun Belt, but I am glad to be getting out of the SoCon. It appears the SBC is the only option for now, and the SBC > SoCon.

I know.... but with baby #2 coming in May... the required Yosef donation... and the cost for the season itself... We're strapped...

I'll let you know if (God-forbid) it happens... Hopefully not... There's too much fun to be had in our little corner of Kidd-Brewer.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:27 pm

vegattk wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
vegattk wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:

I know.... but with baby #2 coming in May... the required Yosef donation... and the cost for the season itself... We're strapped...

I'll let you know if (God-forbid) it happens... Hopefully not... There's too much fun to be had in our little corner of Kidd-Brewer.
I hear ya, and I'll hope for the best! The 205 just wouldn't be the same!

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 pm

vegattk wrote: I never said I didn't want out of the SOCON... I've always been a post-season guy anyway.

I think you will certainly have to drive further, :lol:

I don't know about seat prices etc, but according to this report many of the other SB members have funding similar to ours, so I know our expenses will increase some but I would hope that our revenue (from the conference) will as well.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/c ... 54955804/1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”