Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GA State doesn't want GA Southern in SB

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

GA State doesn't want GA Southern in SB

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 am

We have had many discussions on this board regarding the FACT that UNCC has been no friend to App State during our attempts to join CUSA. Well here is some hard facts reflecting same sentiment from GA State regarding GSU joining Sun Belt. It is the same story played out down here in Georgia. You have a couple schools that had a golden opportunity thrown in their laps and now they are scared to death that the established programs would come in and steal their thunder. Truth is App and GSU probably will quickly outperform their nascent counterparts at the FBS level.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-stat ... your-help/

AppAttack

Re: GA State doesn't want GA Southern in SB

Unread post by AppAttack » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Get over it GA State and UNCC! You're not even in the SunBelt or CUSA yet either. Instead of running away from a challenge like a bunch of cowards, do something about it! Beat us on the field!

Appersrule

Unread post by Appersrule » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:11 pm

This could be a blow to Appalachian's hopes as well for the Sun Belt. If GA State does not back GSU, then they sure as heck won't back us as GSU's move in buddy. App & GSU are kind of a package deal in this thing and if you block one, you arn't taking the other.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Appersrule wrote:This could be a blow to Appalachian's hopes as well for the Sun Belt. If GA State does not back GSU, then they sure as heck won't back us as GSU's move in buddy. App & GSU are kind of a package deal in this thing and if you block one, you arn't taking the other.

This states some fans on a message board don't want Ga Southern. I haven't seen anything where the people in charge at Ga State feel the same way. They are the ones who have to look at the numbers and see the $ savings of having schools as close as Southern and App.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Ga State fans not wanting Ga Sou in the Belt have about as much influence on the conference decision as our fans wanting us in the Belt, CUSA, BE, those wanting us to stay FCS, and those wanting us to drop all athletics have. In other words, none.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 pm

I can see it now: "Sun Belt presidents vote to add App State, Georgia Southern and NMSU in a 7-1 decision."

Would one dissenting opinion really throw a wrench in the thing? I wouldn't worry about it, especially when it's only message board chatter in indicate that GaSt is anti-GaSo to SBC.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 pm

And there's really no evidence to suggest that UNCC lobbied against adding App to CUSA unless you're just speaking generically about Judy's philosophy of not scheduling us for any sport to avoid padding Charlotte's loss column.

They really didn't need to campaign against us. We all know the expansion strategy of CUSA in 2012: media market, media market, media market. That paired with prior membership is the only reason that Charlotte found its way back to that washed up league in the first place.
Last edited by Gonzo on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImfromClayton
School: Charlotte

Unread post by ImfromClayton » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:02 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:We have had many discussions on this board regarding the FACT that UNCC has been no friend to App State during our attempts to join CUSA. Well here is some hard facts reflecting same sentiment from GA State regarding GSU joining Sun Belt. It is the same story played out down here in Georgia. You have a couple schools that had a golden opportunity thrown in their laps and now they are scared to death that the established programs would come in and steal their thunder. Truth is App and GSU probably will quickly outperform their nascent counterparts at the FBS level.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-stat ... your-help/
Somebody please show me one iota of evidence stating Charlotte does not want App in C-USA. With the way things are going, the best anybody can do at the d-1 level if you are not in the big 5 conferences is save money. I think people higher up than all of us on a message board know that. The only evidence I have ever seen that Charlotte does not want an FBS App state is message board banter.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 pm

The entire move to Sun Belt discussion is still very much just message board chatter and what some seemingly informed bloggers have written.

That's it.

I haven't seen any official PR that there will be a vote of the SB presidents at their bball tourney next weekend ONLY blog speculation.

I don't believe the Sun Belt will act until WKU gets plucked. And that is also still message board and blog speculation as well.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Go to a UNCC event in which Judy Rose speaks, she is no fan of being associated with us.

ImfromClayton
School: Charlotte

Unread post by ImfromClayton » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Go to a UNCC event in which Judy Rose speaks, she is no fan of being associated with us.
I've been to plenty. Never heard her speak of App at all, much less in bad light.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm

From everything I have heard in Atlanta, GA State Administration is very interested in being a member of a conference with regional rivalries. They have been very consistent with messaging leading up to justifying their move back to Sun Belt last year. I think the Administration would back both GSU and App's addition to SB on that premise. I think this noise is all about the GA State fans being selfish and threatened and wanting to jump over GSU's presence in Georgia and ATL markets.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Appersrule wrote:This could be a blow to Appalachian's hopes as well for the Sun Belt. If GA State does not back GSU, then they sure as heck won't back us as GSU's move in buddy. App & GSU are kind of a package deal in this thing and if you block one, you arn't taking the other.
I don't think this is a "blow" to anyone. These are fan opinions and they have nothing to do with the support or lack of support from the administration. When you're dealing with in-state rivals (or potential rivals) there will always be vocal fans on both sides of the argument. This is the equivalent of message board rants.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Though they won't likely admit to it, I bet there are some SBC presidents that would like to trade Georgia State for Georgia Southern, given the Panthers' paltry performance at the turnstiles.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
I don't think this is a "blow" to anyone. These are fan opinions and they have nothing to do with the support or lack of support from the administration. When you're dealing with in-state rivals (or potential rivals) there will always be vocal fans on both sides of the argument. This is the equivalent of message board rants.
That's obviously a good thing. If it were up to a growing number of fans on the Sun Belt board, we might not get in either. It has nothing to do with what we might bring to the table but the number of App fans who are there beating their chests. Add the Ga Sou and Ga St smack, the FCS folks are quickly becoming unwelcome over there.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:13 pm

ImfromClayton wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:Go to a UNCC event in which Judy Rose speaks, she is no fan of being associated with us.
I've been to plenty. Never heard her speak of App at all, much less in bad light.
We are going to disagree of this.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 pm

hapapp wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
That's obviously a good thing. If it were up to a growing number of fans on the Sun Belt board, we might not get in either. It has nothing to do with what we might bring to the table but the number of App fans who are there beating their chests. Add the Ga Sou and Ga St smack, the FCS folks are quickly becoming unwelcome over there.
Because God forbid the Belt adds a school(s) with a passionate fan base!!!!111one
Last edited by ASU-FTW on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Get there first before you start beating your chest. No reason to act like we are the SBC's saviors.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:21 pm

hapapp wrote:Get there first before you start beating your chest. No reason to act like we are the SBC's saviors.
I'm not beating my chest nor am I one of the types who is claiming we are the "savior". But I feel like App and Georgia Southern are the two best and most realistic options for the Sun Belt at this point.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:24 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
hapapp wrote:Get there first before you start beating your chest. No reason to act like we are the SBC's saviors.
I'm not beating my chest nor am I one of the types who is claiming we are the "savior". But I feel like App and Georgia Southern are the two best and most realistic options for the Sun Belt at this point.
I think everyone agrees including most of the SBC fanbase. We just need to cool it a bit over there with all the talk of how great we are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”