Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SB Nation Reporting UNC has Big 10 Offer

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Kgfish
School: Appalachian State

SB Nation Reporting UNC has Big 10 Offer

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:55 pm

No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

firemoose

Re: SB Nation Reporting UNC has Big 10 Offer

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Was just about to post I heard this afternoon that there was some info about to come out in the Maryland v ACC case. It was uncomfirmed but it was said that there could be a deal in the works. Very surprising if it's true (never thought the ACC would budge, since it's pretty much a death blow to the conference as it is) but I don't think the Big 10 would offer UNC with the ACC standing firm on the 50 mil exit fee. They had already said that they would, if they had to, help Maryland. Can't see them helping UNC as well. But if this report is correct then this is the start of a HUGE shakeup in all of D-I.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:26 pm

UNC is old school, they'll never leave the ACC.

kgblade

Unread post by kgblade » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Strictly from a $ standpoint, UNC brings way more to the table and is a much larger blow to the ACC if they bolt. That would be huge because the conference, if looked at from anywhere outside of 4-5 states in this area, is very closely associated with UNC. They are typically the first team that comes to mind if one lives in other areas of the country when thinking of the ACC. I would be shocked if this happens.
I still think this thing is a bubble that is leading to a major down fall in a matter of time. The money escalation is not sustainable and there are going to be a handful of those programs that, through greed driven ignorance, are going to cause a major crash in college football and therefore athletics. With that said, I am a firm believer that we should be forging ourselves ever forward, all the while in sober control of our ability financially, to get as far as possible up the latter to prove what a solid, great foundation we stand on and what an incredible program we offer. Because, I believe, there will be posers that will fail and the landscape will offer another round of opportunities in the not too distant future where ignorant conference leaders are going to look for substance rather than location.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm

AppAttack wrote:UNC is old school, they'll never leave the ACC.
Big 1? commish is a Chapel Hell grad. He's been gunning for them for a long time. It was reported a couple of months ago on XM Radio that if Maryland gets out for less than the $50 mil then UNC-CH and UVa will be in the Big 1? almost immediately. Said the TV money from the Big 1? network would come out to about $22 million per school and would be too much for UNC-CH and UVa to pass up.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm

2016 ACC-Big10 Challenge- UNC vs Duke? I don't think so. While I am eager to see the next domino fall, this isn't it. Maybe after UNC says no, the Big 10 will move quickly for Ga. Tech or UVA. That would be just as good to get things shakin'.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Reported elsewhere that UNC has had a standing offer for years.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Whatever, if the tarholes leave the ACC, APP and others become a tiny, tiny bit more desirable. Otherwise, who really cares? The Big 10 and the ACC both deserve what's going to come their way.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 pm

I just wanted to clarify something from my earlier post. When I said that, if the reported story was true, it would be the start of something huge I wasn't referring to the UNC part but that, coming on the same day that I was told there might be coming news on the Maryland case, then that could be the start. The Big 4 have been waiting to see what would happen and if Swofford would budge. Never meant to imply that UNC would be the first to move. What I meant to say was, if it's true that the ACC is backing down some then the poaching would begin. It might not start in the Triangle but it could very well end up there. The ACC getting picked apart has been floating around for months now and many have posted the rumors and stories of who would go where but the fact still remains that if the Big 4 get a start no one really knows where it could end up.

Should it go far enough it could be the end of the Go5 as they are today. Should the ACC get picked apart even more of the money will go to the Big 4 and it's going to make the other conferences, including what's left of the ACC, have to rethink alignments and positions. More regional conferences or divisions of conferences will become more important as the current non AQ FBS conference schools will be losing even more money. Mergers are very possible and, at the far end of the extreme, the complete rebuilding of D-I as we know it. All of this has been discussed and not by fans and bloggers but by AD's, presidents, and major reporters. The finger in the damn for months has been the legal case. How much happens and how far it goes is anyone's guess right now but, if that finger is removed (and we still don't know if it's true or not), moves are going to start and the shakeup will be felt far and wide.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:13 pm

78' just showed me a story that ran in the News and Record today. My source was correct in saying news was coming out concerning the Maryland case but it's what I thought all along. It shows that the ACC is not going down without a fight. I didn't think Swofford would back down as he knows what's at stake. I'll see if 78' will link or copy the story here so everyone can read it.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 pm

firemoose wrote:78' just showed me a story that ran in the News and Record today. My source was correct in saying news was coming out concerning the Maryland case but it's what I thought all along. It shows that the ACC is not going down without a fight. I didn't think Swofford would back down as he knows what's at stake. I'll see if 78' will link or copy the story here so everyone can read it.
From the Associated Press:

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina judge declined to dismiss a lawsuit filed against Maryland by the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Guilford County Superior Court Judge John O. Craig III on Monday denied the motion Maryland filed last month.
The school is leaving the ACC for the Big Ten. The ACC sued the school in November to make it pay its $52 million exit fee. Maryland sued the ACC last month in a Maryland court, calling the fee invalid.
Maryland lawyer Alex Barrett argued a North Carolina court has no jurisdiction over Maryland and because the school is an arm of the state, it enjoys sovereign immunity that protects it from lawsuits.
ACC attorney Alan Duncan countered that in North Carolina, sovereign immunity doesn't exist in contractual claims.
Both Barrett and Duncan declined comment.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
firemoose wrote:78' just showed me a story that ran in the News and Record today. My source was correct in saying news was coming out concerning the Maryland case but it's what I thought all along. It shows that the ACC is not going down without a fight. I didn't think Swofford would back down as he knows what's at stake. I'll see if 78' will link or copy the story here so everyone can read it.
From the Associated Press:

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina judge declined to dismiss a lawsuit filed against Maryland by the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Guilford County Superior Court Judge John O. Craig III on Monday denied the motion Maryland filed last month.
The school is leaving the ACC for the Big Ten. The ACC sued the school in November to make it pay its $52 million exit fee. Maryland sued the ACC last month in a Maryland court, calling the fee invalid.
Maryland lawyer Alex Barrett argued a North Carolina court has no jurisdiction over Maryland and because the school is an arm of the state, it enjoys sovereign immunity that protects it from lawsuits.
ACC attorney Alan Duncan countered that in North Carolina, sovereign immunity doesn't exist in contractual claims.
Both Barrett and Duncan declined comment.
Thank You Kind Sir.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 pm

impossible sitution for UNC, on one hand, I'm sure they are getting tremendous pressure from the state assembly and the govenors office to stay in the ACC, maybe even threatening to withhold state funding, but on the other hand, the Big 10 can offer so much more than the ACC, money, stability etc., plus there is nothing to stop the Big Ten from poaching other schools in the ACC, and leave UNC in a very weak conference. Might be time for UNC to get out while the getting is good.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 pm

moehler wrote:impossible sitution for UNC, on one hand, I'm sure they are getting tremendous pressure from the state assembly and the govenors office to stay in the ACC, maybe even threatening to withhold state funding, but on the other hand, the Big 10 can offer so much more than the ACC, money, stability etc., plus there is nothing to stop the Big Ten from poaching other schools in the ACC, and leave UNC in a very weak conference. Might be time for UNC to get out while the getting is good.
Agree and that's pretty much my point. Like I said above it might not start in NC but it could very well end up here, one way or the other. It's hard to believe that the future of where just about all college football and many other sports above the D-3 level will be playing hinges on a couple of court cases and one legal fight. That's what GREED gets you.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 am

AppAttack wrote:UNC is old school, they'll never leave the ACC.
Why not? They've left a conference before.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”