Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Where should we end up?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference

Where should we ultimately end up in all the conference hub bub?

Stay in the SoCon
5%
Move the CAA and stay FCS titans
6%
SunBelt - great geographic fit and could include Jawjuh Southern
59%
C-USA - it's higher up on the totem pole
19%
MAC - as if they wanted us
7%
Big East - as if we wanted them (though they do have ECU)
5%

Total votes: 88

Yosef
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Where should we end up?

Unread post by Yosef » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:18 pm

I know this is a heated topic but I wanted to create this poll just to see where the fan base stands. It also being used as a guinea pig for a new set of features that I'm working on that will fully integrate the forum with the site and allow for polls and other forum information/interaction to be site-wide.

appmaj

Re: Where should we end up?

Unread post by appmaj » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 am

Sun Belt. I disagree that C-USA is further up the ladder at this point

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 am

Should is an interesting choice of wording in the question.

Where would I like to end up:

CUSA
Sun Belt
MAC
CAA
SoCon

in that order.

Big East isn't really an option, I'm concerned that some of our fans think this is viable, they are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Where do I think we will end up by probablity:

Sun Belt 60%
SoCon 25%
CAA 8%
MAC 5%
CUSA 2%

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:09 am

I think that maybe CUSA is more achievable than they were with ECU at this point. ODU, MTSU, UNCC would all benefit and be regional rivals. If JMU was added, it'd be even better. TV dollars have dried up despite the Grand Market Strategy and the new BE contract may not even cover their travelling expenses from what I've seen, the CUSA deal will suffer as well. The market for fanbases and attendance just went up.

I still feel like the SB is the best place to be. Something tells me they will be more stable than any of the others going forward.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 am

I disagree, ECU was by far our biggest ally in CUSA. After the way we treated UNCC when they were looking for conferences it would require some major relationship repair work to get them on our side.

I do agree that CUSA will not be stable in its current form but they can pull from the Belt if necessary. My perference would be to join CUSA and wait for the fall out to a more regional conference alignment 3-4 years down the line. But I do think the Belt is more realistic and if GSU comes too I'm fine with that.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 am

We're still waiting on CUSA's new TV deal. If it is as big a dissappointment as the BE deal, its hard to see schools leaving the Belt for CUSA.

As for relationships with UNCC, there are many reasons to add App, and a few emotional ones not to. With a little support from state politicians, ODU, (Im sure ODU would support us) maybe MTSU, and possibly further destabalizing of CUSA, the UNCC admin may be forced to support App, at their own peril. Theres no use for UNCC to stick to their guns and watch CUSA crumble around them to the point they have no options.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 am

Saint3333 wrote:I disagree, ECU was by far our biggest ally in CUSA. After the way we treated UNCC when they were looking for conferences it would require some major relationship repair work to get them on our side.
We treated UNCC exactly the way we should have. They were looking to use the SoCon as their football bitch until they could find a better place to go. I would not have supported them as football only in the SoCon under any circumstances.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 am

Where was the ACC option? Geographically that's the best fit............ok ok just kidding. I would be happy with the Belt, USA or BE but out doubt we are a player for the BE. MAC just doesn't seem like a fit to me. We would be quite the geographical outlier even with JMU added. So BELT or USA suits me just fine. I like USA cause I can take trip to south FL and see my family and the Apps.(FIU, FAU)
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm

appst89 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:I disagree, ECU was by far our biggest ally in CUSA. After the way we treated UNCC when they were looking for conferences it would require some major relationship repair work to get them on our side.
We treated UNCC exactly the way we should have. They were looking to use the SoCon as their football bitch until they could find a better place to go. I would not have supported them as football only in the SoCon under any circumstances.
I agree 89, I was against adding them at the time. But using hindsight it could have been a trade off to build a relationship that could be helping us now with CUSA, instead it is likely hurting us. I would have traded a couple years of UNCC being a football only member if it meant a CUSA invite. Keep your friends close, but enemies even closer.

I agree with another poster that UNCC could gain a lot having App in the same conference (same if roles were reversed for App), but emotional neither party could be able to get to that line of rational thinking.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 pm

I know why not only the SoCon but others as well turned down UNCC's request, but looking back- We could have given them an epic beatdown this coming fall, while showing CUSA the benefits of this potential rivalry. The SoCon could have collected their entry and exit fees, and we (hopefully)still would have gone FBS before or along with the 9'ers. Hmmm...Starting to wish we'd let 'em in.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
I agree 89, I was against adding them at the time. But using hindsight it could have been a trade off to build a relationship that could be helping us now with CUSA, instead it is likely hurting us. I would have traded a couple years of UNCC being a football only member if it meant a CUSA invite. Keep your friends close, but enemies even closer.

I agree with another poster that UNCC could gain a lot having App in the same conference (same if roles were reversed for App), but emotional neither party could be able to get to that line of rational thinking.
We have no guarantee they would have done us any favors regardless. Their behavior, stopping the basketball series when we beat them and refusing to play us in baseball, makes me think they would have screwed us no matter what we did with regard to the SoCon membership. If we need support from within CUSA, it's much more likely to come from Marshall, ODU and MTSU than from UNCC.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 pm

We don't need UNCc on our side. If EZU couldn't help get us in CUSA, then UNCc surely won't be able to help get us in, even if they supported us.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 pm

If the Sun Belt is the only option we have, I am for taking it, but I wouldn't consider it a great geographic fit when the nearest opponent is a hard half days drive away. It will pretty much kill our travel. Instead of having many fans who currently do most/many of the road trips, we will now have to pick carefully the road games we attend.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm

The truth of the matter is that if/when we get the invite chances are very high that in 5 years (or a lot less) that we will not be in the same conference that we move to. The people talking on campus are finally realizing that this situation is not going to sort itself out in a year but will take several. Once the ACC/Maryland situation is resolved then the rest of the big moves will begin. And people are understanding that we will be better off as an FBS school to get into where we hope to be than to take the wait and see attitude we've had.

The most important thing to remember is that, while a move up to any conference as they stand today will be harder financially at first, it's doubtful that they will stay that way. Why? Because the other schools in the "Group of Five" are going to be taking an even bigger hit due to the growing of the "Big Five" (or four if the ACC gets ripped apart). The Go5 are losing TV revenue with the new breakdown and that will force them to look at more regional conferences and/or divisions to save money. We, on the other hand, can't lose what we didn't have in the first place. If things were status quo then a move up would hurt us worse that the others in whichever conference we go. Now pretty much everybody is going to take a hit and it will force change in the lower tier. But we have to be there to take advantage of the situation. If we are extended an invite and we choose to stay and wait then our chances of ever moving up go down to basically 0.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

The poll has been up a little over 24 hours. Of course, this is by no means scientific, but the numbers are interesting. So far, 47 votes have been cast.

Don't and say we did (remain in the SoCon) -- 1
Move to the CAA and pretend we've done something -- 1
Go to the Sun Belt -- 33 (70 percent)
Conference USA -- 7 (15 percent)
MAC -- 3
Big East -- 2

I didn't figure on there only being one vote for remaining in the SoCon, and I didn't think that 70 percent of the voters would want a move to the Sun Belt. The poll, though no means is it scientific, does show a definite trend among users of this board.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:25 pm

As well as a definite shift. When I brought up the possibility of joining the Sun Belt 18 months ago, you would have thought I would get run out on a rail.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Saint3333 wrote:As well as a definite shift. When I brought up the possibility of joining the Sun Belt 18 months ago, you would have thought I would get run out on a rail.
I think it also has to do with the Sun Belt being the last viable option for App to make good on FBS.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 pm

RankinApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:As well as a definite shift. When I brought up the possibility of joining the Sun Belt 18 months ago, you would have thought I would get run out on a rail.
I think it also has to do with the Sun Belt being the last viable option for App to make good on FBS.

Good stuff. Mind if I spread this jewel around? With proper attribution of course.

havefunkc

Unread post by havefunkc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Smokin' something, I know...

Where's the "might join the ACC" button? :)
And I AM a Mountaineer!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:50 pm

havefunkc wrote:Smokin' something, I know...

Where's the "might join the ACC" button? :)
Someone is a little too happy that pitchers and catchers are reporting. :lol:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”