Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Fewer FCS vs FBS Games?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Fewer FCS vs FBS Games?

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:15 pm

"The Penn State game will replace Bethune-Cookman on the schedule and completes the Knights nonconference slate. The 2014 contest against the Nittany Lions would replace the Jacksonville State game, UCF sources said."

"O’Leary had said during the football season he wanted to see the Knights upgrade their nonconference schedule as the NCAA instituted a playoff system that put an emphasis on strength of schedule.

"I think that's better for our schedule," O'Leary said in October. " . . . It's going to hurt the other teams that may get a paycheck, but it's not helping as far as the rankings are concerned or the power rankings. “You're going to see a lot more of the traditional top-10 teams looking for more big games instead of just trying to buy a game because I think it's eventually going to hurt the power rankings as far as the BCS.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 79416.post

AppinVA

Re: Fewer FCS vs FBS Games?

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:33 pm

All right. Nothing to see here. Please disperse. Nothing to see here.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:53 pm

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Been saying this for a while. With the playoffs at 4 teams only SOS is at a premium. Unless the other Top 10 teams each play an FCS game then the others really can't if they want a chance at the playoff. It really would not surprise me if Michigan bought out our game unless we are in the transition to FBS. That would not hurt as much as playing an FCS team.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

firemoose wrote:Been saying this for a while. With the playoffs at 4 teams only SOS is at a premium. Unless the other Top 10 teams each play an FCS game then the others really can't if they want a chance at the playoff. It really would not surprise me if Michigan bought out our game unless we are in the transition to FBS. That would not hurt as much as playing an FCS team.
That would not really bother me. We can make some money on the buy-out. Schedule a home game and make even more money, keep the winning record against them without question, and call them cowards for not wanting to play us.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
firemoose wrote:Been saying this for a while. With the playoffs at 4 teams only SOS is at a premium. Unless the other Top 10 teams each play an FCS game then the others really can't if they want a chance at the playoff. It really would not surprise me if Michigan bought out our game unless we are in the transition to FBS. That would not hurt as much as playing an FCS team.
That would not really bother me. We can make some money on the buy-out. Schedule a home game and make even more money, keep the winning record against them without question, and call them cowards for not wanting to play us.
My thoughts exactly. 8-)

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 pm

I would like to play them, but the buyout wouldn't be that bad, either. We could run them up a little and make enough to cover a...ahem...buyout of our own.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:47 pm

AppinVA wrote:
I would like to play them, but the buyout wouldn't be that bad, either. We could run them up a little and make enough to cover a...ahem...buyout of our own.
Like that idea also. ;)

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Guys this would be a big blow to the FCS let's not fool ourselves.

Those games help with recruiting, ticket sales, player experience (draft), and fan experience (traveling to great venues).

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Guys this would be a big blow to the FCS let's not fool ourselves.

Those games help with recruiting, ticket sales, player experience (draft), and fan experience (traveling to great venues).
Not fooling anyone. I said this back last year when it was first announced that there would be a BCS playoff system. The talk started then that top teams could not afford to play FCS teams anymore because of SOS. If fact, my exact quote was "we better enjoy the payouts now because the days of going to the LSU's and Michigan's of the world are about to come to an end as long as we are FCS". I wasn't kidding then and I'm not now. I fully understand what it means but as long as we are FCS then it is what it is and there's not a thing we can do to change it.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 pm

This has been coming for a while now and the new strength of schedule criteria for making the FBS playoff is the straw that broke the camel's back.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 am

With all the debate about potential conferences and (still, even though its been decided) should we move up or not, many fans don't understand that the business of college sports has changed. Failure to change with it will mean bad things for our program.

FBS ensures us not only a chance to achieve at a higher level, but to also maintain the expectations our all FCS/FBS fans have of our program. June 1st can't get here fast enough on this issue.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am

If we aren't FBS before then it could get here too fast.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 am

Big Ten is set to stop scheduling any FCS games, hopefully everyone else follows suit
By Frank Schwab | Dr. Saturday – Wed, Feb 13, 2013 9:24 AM EST
Email

(USA Today Sports Images)
One of the lamentable things about college football is the lack of good non-conference games. There's some, but most teams seem content to play a weak schedule to ensure bowl eligibility and a bump in the rankings before league play.
The Big Ten might not be eliminating all bad non-conference games, but it's getting rid of the worst of them.
[Also: Jadeveon Clowney should challenge NFL's 'three-years-out' rule]
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez divulged that the Big Ten has agreed to stop scheduling FCS games. Thank goodness.
“The nonconference schedule in our league is ridiculous,” Alvarez said on WIBA-AM, according to the Journal-Sentinel. “It’s not very appealing…
“So we’ve made an agreement that our future games will all be Division I schools. It will not be FCS schools.”
That is a great step, and hopefully other conferences (and by "other conferences" we mostly mean you, SEC) stop the practice of wasting a precious Saturday afternoon in the fall on FCS opponents. The FCS teams benefit with a large payday, and that's great for the bean counters at those schools. It's not good for anyone else.
It stinks for the season-ticket holders that have to pay for a sham of a game. It's nothing worth watching on television. The FBS team has nothing to gain, because a win is expected but a loss goes down in infamy. And while the FCS team will get enough money to build a new weight room, the most common result is getting pounded by 40 or 50 points, which can't be that enjoyable for those players.
Some Big Ten-Sun Belt game in September might not be a ratings bonanza either, but at least it's better than a parade of FCS opponents.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 am

Its asolutely shocking to me, to see the lengths to which the FCS fans on AGS will go to claim the FCS is not going to get any worse.

Every time some shocking revelation, or glimpse of the future comes about, they claim, oh thats just one thing. And its not going to happen anyway.

I do not, under any circumstance want to cut scholarship #s, or be in a conference that allows its members to do so. One person claimed that the BCS will break off, and the rest of FBS and FCS will be combined. No. How does that figure? The CUSA and SB are just going to join a division with a 63 scholarship threshold? I dont think so. It will be the schools that are willing to fund the full 85, and those that arent, with those that arent being pushed down.

I see many FCS schools welcoming the reduction, and I dont want App to be the minority when the decision is made.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 am

GlassOnion wrote:Its asolutely shocking to me, to see the lengths to which the FCS fans on AGS will go to claim the FCS is not going to get any worse.

Every time some shocking revelation, or glimpse of the future comes about, they claim, oh thats just one thing. And its not going to happen anyway.

I do not, under any circumstance want to cut scholarship #s, or be in a conference that allows its members to do so. One person claimed that the BCS will break off, and the rest of FBS and FCS will be combined. No. How does that figure? The CUSA and SB are just going to join a division with a 63 scholarship threshold? I dont think so. It will be the schools that are willing to fund the full 85, and those that arent, with those that arent being pushed down.
I see many FCS schools welcoming the reduction, and I dont want App to be the minority when the decision is made.
I agree GO. I didn't like hearing the SoCon even discussing dropping any scholarships.

I've talked about this before on here in a few threads. There is the possible scenario that has been talked about by reporters and AD's of the Go5 where Swofford and the ACC lose the legal case or he caves on Maryland and the ACC gets ripped apart with the few remaining schools being on the same level as the Go5. The most radical situation being talked about would be the NCAA then stepping in and making the Power 4 the new D-1, mostly an Pro development league, with the rest of the existing FBS schools and those few FCS schools lucky enough to get an invite becoming the new, say D-1A. There is talk that if that happens they might reduce scholarships into the 70's to save some money since the Big 4 would have most of it. The other FBS conferences would then also have to explore mergers and realignment to more regional conferences to save money, since all of the existing FBS schools would lose even more revenue. The remaining FCS schools, those not lucky enough to move up and those that don't want to would become the new D-2 and today's D-2 schools would have to decide if the want to move their programs up enough to compete or drop to D-3.

Granted this is a worst case situation and there could be any number of variations that could happen depending on the Maryland case. Personally I do not see Swofford caving for any reason except if he loses the legal case because he knows it would be the death blow for the ACC. They will fight to the bloody end and that's why I've been saying it could be several years before the whole thing plays out. Hopefully we'll be FBS soon so at least, no matter what happens, we will be in a better position to move should a better situation open up. If we're still FCS the options become much less.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 pm

GlassOnion wrote:Its asolutely shocking to me, to see the lengths to which the FCS fans on AGS will go to claim the FCS is not going to get any worse.

It is not a matter of them joining. It is that they will just be left behind. This does not mean that there will be 63 scholorships as there will be some adjustments. The money is going to the big boys and they really don't care about the rest. How much was the contract the Big E just signed? TV is about the big boys and the rest of us are just filler. I know a bunch of you are going to hate this but it is just a fact and I am not the only one saying it. We will have to learn to do with less but we will also all be in the same boat. My comments are refering to after we are in FBS and when I say we I mean all of us in FBS outside of the big boys.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Im not too worried about the BCS. There is nothing we can do about that, so really no point in worrying about it.

The FCS will not be as competative as it has been. The bottom half of FBS I believe, will put up a much better fight trying to remain competative, and will likely have its own playoff. I think schools like Furman, Elon, Wofford, Richmond, are destined for D2. They may call it FCS for a while, but as soon as the non BCS FBS schools start a playoff championship, which I believe is inevitable, they've lost the "Football Championship Subdivision" title.

There will be a BCS championship
There will be the MWC, SB, CUSA level championship with a few top FCS teams that manage to get off the sinking ship.
There will be a D2 Championship, with partial and non scholarship programs, small private and attendance poor public schools.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 pm

GlassOnion wrote:Im not too worried about the BCS. There is nothing we can do about that, so really no point in worrying about it.

The FCS will not be as competative as it has been. The bottom half of FBS I believe, will put up a much better fight trying to remain competative, and will likely have its own playoff. I think schools like Furman, Elon, Wofford, Richmond, are destined for D2. They may call it FCS for a while, but as soon as the non BCS FBS schools start a playoff championship, which I believe is inevitable, they've lost the "Football Championship Subdivision" title.

There will be a BCS championship
There will be the MWC, SB, CUSA level championship with a few top FCS teams that manage to get off the sinking ship.
There will be a D2 Championship, with partial and non scholarship programs, small private and attendance poor public schools.
Yes we agree. My only point is that we will need to learn to do it on less money. As has been said the lower FBS will have to become more regional, and make some other moves to keep cost in line. We will all be in the same boat so it should work out just fine. When we finally do have a playoff for the non “BCS” or whatever it will be called, I will again be happy. I do believe that will happen because people are just getting burned out with the bowls. I see another NC at a different level one of these days.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm

bcoach wrote: Yes we agree. My only point is that we will need to learn to do it on less money. As has been said the lower FBS will have to become more regional, and make some other moves to keep cost in line. We will all be in the same boat so it should work out just fine. When we finally do have a playoff for the non “BCS” or whatever it will be called, I will again be happy. I do believe that will happen because people are just getting burned out with the bowls. I see another NC at a different level one of these days.
When you say less money, I dont know what you mean. The FCS funding will go down, almost certainly. We'll be spending more, and the lower FBS teams will likely stay about the same. I dont see a scenario where ALL BCS teams cease playing FBS teams, so there will always be some connection b/w those two levels, and payouts besides.

The main difference I see b/w FCS and FBS is the FBS's determination to put the best product on the field. The schools like The Citadel, you see their fans on AGS posting that they dont care about how good the football is, as long as they are playing Furman, VMI, ect.

I just dont understand that. If it aint worth doing well, it aint worth doing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”