Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GaSo Meeting

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
GoApps70
School: Appalachian State

GaSo Meeting

Unread post by GoApps70 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Here are some notes from a GaSo meeting their AD gave:

Here's some highlights:

It was a "grown people talk". He let his feelings be known and there didn't really seem to be anything really off limits. There is no doubt that all of his chips are in the middle of the table. He's all in when it comes to not just growing the athletic department, but straight blowing the roof off it.

Started off by making it VERY clear that college athletics is a business. And he is going to run the athletics department like a business. It's time GSU Athletics starts bringing in more corporate dollars from the Savannah and Atlanta area.

Said everywhere he has been so far in his career there was a major movement going on at that school. That's the thing that attracted him to GSU. He said that the slogan of "Rings and Diplomas" is the best he's ever heard because it describes exactly what his job is. We want to win championships and graduate student athletes. Said he's adding a 3rd one to that and it's "Leaders". Because he wants student athletes to go out into the community after graduation and be leaders in that community.

Talked about FCS for a little bit and how the FCS did a survey to try and find out what their problems are. The results basically came back that there was a major brand problem. That the general football fan knew of FCS, but Division 1 college football to them was FBS football. He said that the logo for FCS next year will actually have the words 'Division 1' in it in an attempt to let everybody know that it actually is division 1 football.

He talked about "being at the same table" as the big boys. Both figuratively and literally. We want to be seen as the same as the big boys when it comes to our reputation, but also at the NCAA meetings he doesn't get to sit in on the FBS football talk. And that's when things get done he said. That's when you find out about the landscape of college athletics and where things are headed. So if we want to improve the WHOLE athletic department we need to be at the FBS football meetings.

Said that the SoCon is looking to expand and that will be the subject at the SoCon meetings on Tuesday. Said that the 3 teams being tossed around are Mercer, UNC-Wilmington, and Richmond. And this was pretty much his exact quote "When we are at these meetings and they start talking about those 3 schools Charlie (Cobb) and I just look at each other and go 'seriously?' I mean if you are Davidson, Furman, or Wofford you are loving the idea of being associated with those 3 schools. Georgia Southern and App St do not. We want bigger things." He went back to that sitting at the table thing and said "We don't want to be sitting at the table with those schools."

He brought up that the best thing going for the FCS was a playoff. That things are decided on the field. Then he says "FCS doesn't even have the distinction of that anymore." Pretty much saying that there is zero reason to be in FCS anymore now that FBS is starting a playoff.

Then he started talking about how the money is going to be divided among the FBS schools under the new playoff contract. He said the final deal should come out in a few weeks, but what is going to happen is that the "Other 5" conferences are going to get about $90 million to split between them. But then also college football is going to start using something similar to the college basketball RPI. And teams from those Other 5 conferences that finish high in those rankings will get more money for the conference. So all of a sudden the conference commisioners dropped anchor on that whole media market thing and immediately started asking "What kind of product can you bring us". And Kleinlein goes "I tell them I'm bringing you a six time national champion that could beat over half the teams in the FBS right now with an FCS roster. I'm bringing you a team that FBS schools are afraid of. We have a tough time filling our schedule because so few FBS teams will even play us." He said they then get to talking about media market a little bit and he brings up our Atlanta alumni. He brings up our Savannah market. Then he also brings up that TV trumped radio and before too long internet is going to trump TV. That media markets aren't going to matter because before too long all you will need is a passionate fan and a smart phone and that person will be seeking you out. And he said he believes the Eagle Nation is as passionate as it comes.

He said that when he first started at GSU he would contact Benson with the SunBelt and 4 days later get an email from Benson saying that he would try and get back to Kleinlein in a few days. Now Benson calls Kleinlein once a week to check on things. To quote Kleinlein "I'm not that interesting of a conversationalist so I have to think the SunBelt is interested in us."

He talked about the starting the program up in 1981 and how he doesn't want to lose those traditions. What he wants is for those traditions to be talked about on ESPN. He talked about the blood, sweat, tears, and dollars that Bulloch Co has put into the program but he said that was maxed out. It's time to tap the Savannah market. It's time to tap the Atlanta market. It's time for corporate dollars.

He talked about Wake Forrest and how when they made the NCAA run with Tim Duncan and when they went to a BCS bowl a few years ago their applications sky rocketed. They don't want to have more than 3,500 students, so they didn't take more students but they were able to be more selective in the students they accepted and as a result the academic reputation grew. He didn't say it, but basically there is Dr. Keels "front porch".

Kleinlein feels that even if you love the FCS of today, that's not a great reason to stay because the FCS of today isn't going to be the same FCS in 5 years. The SoCon of today isn't going to be the SoCon of 5 years from now. It's time for us to sit at the table with with the big boys!

Direct Link:
http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.p ... ming/page3

Remember the GaSo AD also has two (2) video reports. Here is a link to that where he talks about App State near the end of the first one:
http://www.wtoc.com/story/20672777/eagl ... ng-forward

Sounds like their new AD has his act together. Quite a change for Georgia Southern.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

appsfan

Re: GaSo Meeting

Unread post by appsfan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks for the report; there are some good nuggets in it.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 pm

appsfan wrote:Thanks for the report; there are some good nuggets in it.
Loved the part where they were sitting there listening and rolling their eyes, can just imagine that.

Hard to believe the SoCon is asking Richmond back in with their new small stadium.

Bobby Lamb is the head football coach at Mercer now, and they start up football again in 2013....that I can definitely see, sounds good.

Would have thought Kennesaw State @ 20 miles north of Atlanta would at least have been discussed.

Guess Buzz Lightyear will enjoy being in the SoCon if they switch from the CAA...but UNC-Wilmington has no plans to add football, at least none mentioned.
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 pm

No way UR brings their basketball to the SoCon. That's not even a remote possibility.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 am

If the SoCon leadership really think they can get Richmond and/or UNCW, they are even more inept that I could imagine. UNCW, despite their problems, has a good foothold in the CAA and Richmond would laugh at the idea of going form A-10 hoops to SoCon hoops.

Kleinlein (AD) and Keel (Prez) are a lot like Cobb and Peacock. GSU for years were held back by upper management and now have people in charge with a vision. They get it big time.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 am

hapapp wrote:No way UR brings their basketball to the SoCon. That's not even a remote possibility.
There may not be much left of the A-10 after the BE BB schools raid the league and with Charlotte leaving. Much better chance they go CAA if the A-10 falls apart.

A friend who is a big time GSU told me several weeks back he felt this guy was going to be exceptional.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 am

Its great to hear the inner thoughts of one of these guys and hear what a schools AD is thinking, this is more transparency than we have ever seen from our Administration. Good to know that the SB is really interested in GSU, I have to think that the SB is equally interested in us as well.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 am

"Talked about FCS for a little bit and how the FCS did a survey to try and find out what their problems are. The results basically came back that there was a major brand problem. That the general football fan knew of FCS, but Division 1 college football to them was FBS football. He said that the logo for FCS next year will actually have the words 'Division 1' in it in an attempt to let everybody know that it actually is division 1 football. "

FCS has been trying to fool a lot of people. They are certainly fooling themselves by calling FCS DI football. But in my opinion, FCS is not DI. Calling FCS DI implies we are on equal footing with the FBS schools. But that's where their problems lie. They can fool themselves, they can fool some of those schools that participate in FCS, but they aren't able to fool the general public. We beat Michigan, but yet we are still called DII by a number of people within the general public.

We do not have the same number of scholarships, we do not have the same number of coaches, we can not suit up all of our players for playoffs, we are not DI. Might as well rebrand and call FCS DII, drop DII to DIII, and so on. Keep the same scholarship limits, but just call it for what it is.

I will add that I was one of those they fooled, until I read that above statement. I understand it is heresy, but it is something that the FCS would do. Push the DI and hope people (outside of the FCS community) would buy it and watch.
Last edited by kiddbrewer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 am

kiddbrewer wrote:"Talked about FCS for a little bit and how the FCS did a survey to try and find out what their problems are. The results basically came back that there was a major brand problem. That the general football fan knew of FCS, but Division 1 college football to them was FBS football. He said that the logo for FCS next year will actually have the words 'Division 1' in it in an attempt to let everybody know that it actually is division 1 football. "

FCS has been trying to fool a lot of people. They are certainly fooling themselves by calling FCS DI football. But in my opinion, FCS is not DI. Calling FCS DI implies we are on equal footing with the FBS schools. But that's where their problems lie. They can fool themselves, they can fool some of those schools that participate in FCS, but they aren't able to fool the general public. We beat Michigan, but yet we are still called DII by a number of people within the general public.

We do not have the same number of scholarships, we do not have the same number of coaches, we can not suit up all of our players for playoffs, we are not DI. Might as well rebrand and call FCS DII, drop DII to DIII, and so on. Keep the same scholarship limits, but just call it for what it is.
You make good points but what we sometimes forget is how much basketball is involved in all of this. In order for schools to be DI and participate in the NCAA tourney their football teams must also be DI. FCS allows them to be DI but not have to spend as much on football, if they offer it. If the current FCS were to change to DII then current FCS schools would not be eligible for March Madness and all the money that comes from it.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks for sharing that. Great stuff. This guy gets me fired up. Charlie may be doing things the same way behind the scenes, but I wish hed come out more publicly like this and I sure hope he's also holding weekly conversations with Benson.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 am

goapps93 wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:"Talked about FCS for a little bit and how the FCS did a survey to try and find out what their problems are. The results basically came back that there was a major brand problem. That the general football fan knew of FCS, but Division 1 college football to them was FBS football. He said that the logo for FCS next year will actually have the words 'Division 1' in it in an attempt to let everybody know that it actually is division 1 football. "

You make good points but what we sometimes forget is how much basketball is involved in all of this. In order for schools to be DI and participate in the NCAA tourney their football teams must also be DI. FCS allows them to be DI but not have to spend as much on football, if they offer it. If the current FCS were to change to DII then current FCS schools would not be eligible for March Madness and all the money that comes from it.
You're correct, that is something I did not consider.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 am

hapapp wrote:No way UR brings their basketball to the SoCon. That's not even a remote possibility.
I'd have to think they were looking at at football-only invite for Richmond. To my knowledge, that is the only sport they have in the CAA.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I hope they realize that Richmond would laugh at the idea of moving their other sports from the A-10 to the SoCon. Even for football, I'm not sure what we'd have to offer aside from reduced travel but I doubt that would be enough incentive for them to give up their in-state games with JMU and W&M.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:36 am

Richmond would come to the SoCon minus App and GSU vs. staying in the CAA for football AND UNCW would come to the SoCon when CofC is joining the CAA???

That my friends are your SoCon leaders. Does anyone is college athletics live in reality? Everyone seems to think they are 30% better looking than they are.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:54 am

GoApps70 wrote:
appsfan wrote:Thanks for the report; there are some good nuggets in it.
Loved the part where they were sitting there listening and rolling their eyes, can just imagine that.

Hard to believe the SoCon is asking Richmond back in with their new small stadium.

Bobby Lamb is the head football coach at Mercer now, and they start up football again in 2013....that I can definitely see, sounds good.

Would have thought Kennesaw State @ 20 miles north of Atlanta would at least have been discussed.

Guess Buzz Lightyear will enjoy being in the SoCon if they switch from the CAA...but UNC-Wilmington has no plans to add football, at least none mentioned.

So we kicked out East Tennessee for dropping football but now want UNC-W which doesn't have football????
a.k.a JC0429

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 am

It's a different time in college athletics and different people leading the conference. The SoCon of a decade ago will not recognizable in the near future.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 am

The Socon is delusional. The CAA actually has an NBC Sports TV deal, why the heck would they leave that? The CAA is just as good in football as the Socon, has better basketball, has great academics, schools with international level name recognition, and the Socon is going to ply those two schools away with what exactly? The greatness of Furman or Wofford? Are they going to leave a Virginia dominated conference for a S. Carolina dominated conference? Hell no.

Delusional. No other way to describe it. Just like the Socon AGSers that believe the Socon will be just as good in a few years after App and GSU leave. The Socon took a step down from Division 1 years ago, and when App and GSU leave, will take another big step down, along with the rest of the FCS. App had better be in this next move, I predict a mad scramble to escape FCS in a few years when it becomes evident even to the delusional tat the "division 1" FCS is going the way of the dodo.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

goapps93 wrote:

If we can have different levels for other sports, why not basketball? Why not let a school declare, we will play DI basketball and DII everything else? I guess it could get messy, but it already is.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm

The NCAA has addressed the splitting a school's sports between divisions. To get NCAA tournament money (and an invitation) you must be D1 in all sports. They had too many schools going D1 BB just to get a cut of the money...

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 pm

appsfan wrote:The NCAA has addressed the splitting a school's sports between divisions. To get NCAA tournament money (and an invitation) you must be D1 in all sports. They had too many schools going D1 BB just to get a cut of the money...
I think we all understand that. But, why should football be the only sport able to have subdivisions? The NCAA has a lot of problems, and this is a major one.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:04 pm

appsfan wrote:The NCAA has addressed the splitting a school's sports between divisions. To get NCAA tournament money (and an invitation) you must be D1 in all sports. They had too many schools going D1 BB just to get a cut of the money...
I'm confused about this. Are there not schools playing D1 b-ball that do not have football programs? Are you saying that IF the school fields a football team it must be D-1?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”