Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

From the Winston-Salem Journal

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
AtlantaMountaineer
School: Appalachian State

Re: From the Winston-Salem Journal

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 pm

I think all App fans are on edge after the bitter disappointment of the last realignment and thinking it may be now or never for us. I know I stayed up late the other night reading everything I could find to get some clue as to what would happen. I read Cobb's comments several times. My impression is he sure said a lot not to say much of anything. I think calling him a lier is a little much, but I find it hard to believe that he doesn't know more than he is letting on. But under the circumstances I wouldn't expect him to play his hand at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed here as my stomach continues to churn.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:32 am

Atlanta:

I feel the same way. I was so hopeful last Spring that we were going to get a spot in C-USA or at least Sun Belt and I was really disappointed when we didn't get in.

I am trying not to read too much into what he has said (or not said) because I'm sure he does know more.

1 thing is certain, we were never on the C-USA radar - well at least not on the top tier of schools as they have now selected quite a few not named App State.

I believe it is now or never for an FBS move to be meaningful.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 am

I am one of the "pro-FBSers", however in lieu of current events, it is my sincere hope that Conference USA crashes and burns FOREVER!! The hell with em!!

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 am

For me the disappointment of not getting in last time coupled with the anticipation of waiting to see what happens next just makes me want to destroy UNCC on the field more every day!

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 am

If nothing else, this interview seems to put to rest any concerns that Cobb has scoffed at a Sun Belt invite.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 am

Can't waste too much of my time or energy on the FBS issue with Illinois State coming to town tomorrow. App winning a 4th National Championship would help the resume a little.

Go Apps. Shoot down Redbirds!

(Fixed it) :oops:
Last edited by SpeedkingATL on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 am

SpeedkingATL wrote:Can't waste too much of my time or energy on the FBS issue with Southern Illinois coming to town tomorrow. App winning a 4th National Championship would help the resume a little.

Go Apps. Shoot down Redbirds!
Southern Illinois is coming too? :shock: :lol:

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am

Yes, haven't you heard we are playing Illinois State and Southern Illinois at the same time tomorrow. We tried to even things up by asking Wofford to join us, however, they are busy elsewhere tomorrow. Guess we will have to go alone. Kind of a Carolinas vs Illinois type thing. :lol:
Last edited by WataugaMan on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:53 am

WataugaMan wrote:Yes, haven't you heard we are playing Illinois State and Soutern Illinois at the same time tomorrow. We tried to even thing up by asking Wofford to join us, however, they are busy elsewhere tomorrow. Guess we will have to go along. :lol:
LOL...guess we beat Southern Illinois a few years ago. :oops: Oops!

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 pm

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sp ... ll-must-be

Benson: Further Sun Belt expansion still must be discussed
By Teddy Feinberg/tfeinberg@lcsun-news.com
Posted: 11/29/2012 09:12:47 PM MST

Click photo to enlarge
Karl Benson (Courtesy photo)
LAS CRUCES - The Sun Belt Conference's leadership council won't discuss the league's next round of expansion plans until Monday at the earliest, according to league commissioner Karl Benson.

Benson said Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic leaving the Sun Belt Conference "couldn't have come at a worse time," with the 2012 college football season entering it's last week of the regular season.

"Come Monday, when the dust settles, we'll tackle the issue," Benson said by phone Thursday evening.

Benson, the former commissioner of the Western Athletic Conference, was asked if the Sun Belt would consider expanding its geographic footprint, which currently stretches from Florida to east Texas. In the past, Benson essentially said no to such questions, which meant Las Cruces - and in turn New Mexico State - was left out of the equation.

"We haven't had that conversation yet," Benson said. "We haven't started the process of evaluating (possible) new members. Once the process begins, that will be one of the questions we need to address. One of our primary goals has been to maintain a tighter geography. But this is a new set of circumstances."

Teddy Feinberg can be reached at (575) 541-5455. Follow him on Twitter @TeddyFeinberg
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

"One of our primary goals has been to maintain a tighter geography."

That doesn't sound good for us.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm

asumike83 wrote:If nothing else, this interview seems to put to rest any concerns that Cobb has scoffed at a Sun Belt invite.
He definitely did scoff at the Sun Belt option, but it seems he has had to change his mind.
a.k.a JC0429

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 pm

JCline0429 wrote:"One of our primary goals has been to maintain a tighter geography."

That doesn't sound good for us.
I'd say it does. Aside from Georgia Southern, I can't think of a candidate that would fit better geographically than us. New Mexico State and Idaho are twice as far. JMU would be a major outlier unless we were in the conference. SHSU is closer, but isn't near ready for a jump.

I take the fact that Benson has mentioned tight geography in every press interview in the past week as a very good omen for ASU.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:36 pm

HappyHippie wrote:Cobb cares about himself and himself only. If anyone thinks he cares about Appalachian States future, you are fooled.
Absurd.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:39 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
asumike83 wrote:If nothing else, this interview seems to put to rest any concerns that Cobb has scoffed at a Sun Belt invite.
He definitely did scoff at the Sun Belt option, but it seems he has had to change his mind.
Yes, I should have clarified that statement. I think it puts to rest the notion that we received a Sun Belt invite after the recent deflections and he scoffed at it.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 pm

fjblair wrote:
HappyHippie wrote:Cobb cares about himself and himself only. If anyone thinks he cares about Appalachian States future, you are fooled.
Absurd.
Agreed, APPsolutely absurb.

GoAppsGo92

Unread post by GoAppsGo92 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Latest rumor is that MAC could be trying to make some moves. JMU large donor suggested conversations with Delaware, Madison and AppSt for football only. CAA for all olympic sports.

If true... that would be a hat trick for ASU... better academics, better olympic sports, and a very strong football league... MAC championship game to included two teams nationally ranked... can't say that about the SBC or CUSA.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”