NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 27, 2024 7:14 pm

There will likely be contracts associated with NIL with stipulations and provisos regarding expectations around the payment. They will likely entail, class attendance, grade thresholds and integrity clauses.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 29, 2024 7:09 am

Listened to the WSJ podcast this morning and many believe their will be a further push to classify athletes as full employees. This would increase costs even further and faster. Will the power 2 or 4 give in here or do they fight for this treatment for football and basketball only?

I hope we're still able to offer opportunities to gifted students that need them, whatever college athletics looks like and what classification we fall into.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed May 29, 2024 7:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 7:14 pm
There will likely be contracts associated with NIL with stipulations and provisos regarding expectations around the payment. They will likely entail, class attendance, grade thresholds and integrity clauses.
This isn’t NIL. It’s payment directly from the school.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed May 29, 2024 7:48 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:09 am
Listened to the WSJ podcast this morning and many believe their will be a further push to classify athletes as full employees. This would increase costs even further and faster. Will the power 2 or 4 give in here or do they fight for this treatment for football and basketball only?

I hope we're still able to offer opportunities to gifted students that need them, whatever college athletics looks like and what classification we fall into.
If they are employees, the state can and will cap their income. They could also end athletic scholarships for any employees who sign an employment contract. This, would end up saving a lot of money.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 29, 2024 7:52 am

Something to think about in that regard. Will states shut down certain programs in order to not have to pay athletes as employees?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:14 am

ericsaid wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
You don’t think that state employees have these types of stipulations in their contracts? Besides, they won’t be actual employees. They will likely work as contractors and get paid with 1099 forms so that they can be “terminated” after each yearly review.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 am

ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Those payments are not required. So, the school can still do NIL deals with whatever monies they decide to allocate. There is no requirement that a school spend $20M. The school still decides how those monies will be allocated and to whom. Its unclear at this point what impact Title IX will have but nothing prevents schools from putting stipulations on the monies shared with athletes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:59 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Those payments are not required. So, the school can still do NIL deals with whatever monies they decide to allocate. There is no requirement that a school spend $20M. The school still decides how those monies will be allocated and to whom. Its unclear at this point what impact Title IX will have but nothing prevents schools from putting stipulations on the monies shared with athletes.
This brings up a good point. If they are employees, contract or direct hire, they don’t work for App. They work for the State of North Carolina. So is there a sliding scale that determines compensation? How does the State pay a LB more at a Carolina than at a NCA&T?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 29, 2024 9:35 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:09 am

If they are being paid, they are employees and should be treated as such.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 29, 2024 9:39 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:14 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
You don’t think that state employees have these types of stipulations in their contracts? Besides, they won’t be actual employees. They will likely work as contractors and get paid with 1099 forms so that they can be “terminated” after each yearly review.
They will have a very hard time getting clasified as contractors. Laws would have to change in order to do that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 29, 2024 9:51 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
They will have a very hard time getting clasified as contractors. Laws would have to change in order to do that.
Interesting. How so? I’m curious. My only thought as to why they would have to be contractors is due to the need to annually renew much like the current scholarship model. If you have limits on the number of “employees” that you have, then how do you cut loose underperforming employees? Is NC a right to work State?

Speaking of laws, I imagine as employees, tax payers are paying for those salaries. Would such a thing require a referendum by the citizens of the State? Having them as employees gets very tricky, very fast.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 29, 2024 9:59 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:51 am
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Interesting. How so? I’m curious. My only thought as to why they would have to be contractors is due to the need to annually renew much like the current scholarship model. If you have limits on the number of “employees” that you have, then how do you cut loose underperforming employees? Is NC a right to work State?

Speaking of laws, I imagine as employees, tax payers are paying for those salaries. Would such a thing require a referendum by the citizens of the State? Having them as employees gets very tricky, very fast.
There are guidelines around independant contractor status. One is you would not be able to require them to attend meetings or set their hours.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 29, 2024 10:08 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:59 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

There are guidelines around independant contractor status. One is you would not be able to require them to attend meetings or set their hours.
Interesting. I didn’t know that. Thanks.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed May 29, 2024 10:12 am

bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

The student athletes could be classified as, as needed employees, which would only get a contract for the game day in which they play. This is how substitute teachers are classified in order to receive no benefits. Everyday is a one day contract. Actually, you can work two half days in one day and have two separate contracts for that full days work. The athletes may get a separate contract for each quarter or half.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed May 29, 2024 10:57 am

They could also be temporary employees on an 11 month contract. Wonder if NCAA guidelines would still apply to time spent on athletics. If so, they would be part time employees. If they’re not required to be students then I guess they could be full time. It’s pretty complex, even more so for state schools.
WE ARE YOSEF!

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Wed May 29, 2024 11:54 am

bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Virtually no chance they’re classified as independent contractors, school would have way less control over them and no way the state would pass up on all that pay roll tax.
Most states are making harder to be a true contractor, especially blue states like California etc.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 29, 2024 12:06 pm

KentHogan wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 11:54 am
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Virtually no chance they’re classified as independent contractors, school would have way less control over them and no way the state would pass up on all that pay roll tax.
Most states are making harder to be a true contractor, especially blue states like California etc.
Under the current system, if a player gets hurt on the field and the injuries create a need for lifetime care, who pays for that?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 29, 2024 12:11 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 10:12 am
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The student athletes could be classified as, as needed employees, which would only get a contract for the game day in which they play. This is how substitute teachers are classified in order to receive no benefits. Everyday is a one day contract. Actually, you can work two half days in one day and have two separate contracts for that full days work. The athletes may get a separate contract for each quarter or half.
They are needed every day for practice.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed May 29, 2024 2:49 pm

“Student-Athletes “…yeah , right.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 29, 2024 3:49 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 2:49 pm
“Student-Athletes “…yeah , right.
Thankfully the majority are. I have a son in law who played football and was a good student. I also have a grandaughter who plays college VB and just finished her freshman year with a 3.7. Just a tiny sample but there are many, many more. There are also many that you refer to and that is a travisty suported by us.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”