NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

BambooRdApp
Posts: 4473
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1639 times
Been thanked: 2991 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:23 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:01 am
t4pizza wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:51 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:19 pm
I figured something like this would be coming down the pipe

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... mpensation
Perhaps it is time for our 2007 team to get on the bandwagon and get some cabbage. Think how many times CL's blocked FG been shown on tv over the years. Many say it launched the Big10 network bc everyone else had to pay royalties to share the highlights. I am only halfway joking with this idea; I mean if NCSU can do it why can't we?
I was on the new highlights when the Wilmington station covered the ACC barnstorming tour back in 1983. I wonder if I can sue? 🤣
I was on the front page of the sports section of Jacksonville Daily News when Valvano visited the Hardee's around NC after that natty. I had a Heels shirt on...I did not approve the picture. I want my money 🤣🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94
Posts: 10129
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6683 times
Been thanked: 4208 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:25 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:14 am
Let's get it over with because this slow death of the college system is painful.
Agree. The college system is the latest victim to the societal shift of me first. I miss JFK.

Bigdaddyg1
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:36 am

This absolutely blows my mind. I basically know the answer to this question but I’ll ask- how do they arrive at an amount and how do they arrive at a time period of payment? It will be equally nauseating and interesting to see (if at all made public) how this money is doled out. Will a field hockey player at a low level D1 actually get some cash? Will the Heismann Trophy winner from 3 years ago get paid? For all of their faults the NCAA really knew that paying college athletes would be a huge mess if it ever happened. Back when this stuff popped up along with NIL I asked what would happen at an Alabama or Michigan as far as paying players. What do you pay that 3rd string kicker who will likely never play in a game? At least on an NFL team you have one kicker who actually plays and contributes. You don’t carry 85 players who all get paid. Even in the pros you get game checks. Are guys gonna get paid during Spring and summer practice? Can they get cut in August and have their scholarship terminated?

AppSt94
Posts: 10129
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6683 times
Been thanked: 4208 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:50 am

I feel like while it is a mess, the end game was to prevent further lawsuits. Pay now, save later.

bcoach
Posts: 4363
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1288 times
Been thanked: 1409 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:59 am

The correct answer at the very begining was bottched. The answer was to stop the universities from profiting from NIL. Sorry bookstore etc. you can not sell jerseys with players names on them. Not going to name every item but get my point. That would have been thinking long term. Instead everybody jumps on the bandwagon of what is owed to the players. Big mistake and "jack ain't gettin back in that box".

User avatar
AppWyo
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am

What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?

KentHogan
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:24 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by KentHogan » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:46 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:25 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:14 am
Let's get it over with because this slow death of the college system is painful.
Agree. The college system is the latest victim to the societal shift of me first. I miss JFK.
I think it’s more of a societal shift toward victim hood, it’s never been more popular to be a victim and feel that you’re owed something.

Ironically, I don’t think the players considered themselves victims, I think most were thrilled with a free ride and a chance to get an education, and maybe a shot at the NFL.

Now they’re being told they’re entitled to more because football makes money.

Don’t blame the players for taking advantage, but I doubt this mindset really helps them in the long run once they get a real job.

Go App!

AppSt94
Posts: 10129
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6683 times
Been thanked: 4208 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:48 am

KentHogan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:25 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:14 am
Let's get it over with because this slow death of the college system is painful.
Agree. The college system is the latest victim to the societal shift of me first. I miss JFK.
I think it’s more of a societal shift toward victim hood, it’s never been more popular to be a victim and feel that you’re owed something.

Ironically, I don’t think the players considered themselves victims, I think most were thrilled with a free ride and a chance to get an education, and maybe a shot at the NFL.

Now they’re being told they’re entitled to more because football makes money.

Don’t blame the players for taking advantage, but I doubt this mindset really helps them in the long run once they get a real job.

Go App!
Victimhood is a better term for what I meant.

Saint3333
Posts: 13197
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 3141 times
Been thanked: 4861 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:05 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am
What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?
Do you work for the government?

Bigdaddyg1
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:33 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:48 am
KentHogan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:25 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:14 am
Let's get it over with because this slow death of the college system is painful.
Agree. The college system is the latest victim to the societal shift of me first. I miss JFK.
I think it’s more of a societal shift toward victim hood, it’s never been more popular to be a victim and feel that you’re owed something.

Ironically, I don’t think the players considered themselves victims, I think most were thrilled with a free ride and a chance to get an education, and maybe a shot at the NFL.

Now they’re being told they’re entitled to more because football makes money.

Don’t blame the players for taking advantage, but I doubt this mindset really helps them in the long run once they get a real job.

Go App!
Victimhood is a better term for what I meant.
Great points. If you took every single football, basketball and I’ll include baseball players at every division one (mostly) who played in the last say, 10 years how many went pro? How many took the athletic scholarship with the sole intention of using the free education for a degree? I’m pretty sure the second number FAR exceeds the first. Ultimately this whole mess is for maybe 1% of all college athletes when you include the Olympic or other non-revenue generating sports. Granted the top football and basketball teams do generate lots of money for their schools but a great majority of smaller schools either lose money or barely survive and most count on student fees to pay the bills. College athletics is a microcosm of everything else in society. Exceptions are made for a small percentage and paid for by the majority who don’t expect anything.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 1322 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:47 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am
What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?
Some of us really enjoy watching guys work together for 4 or 5 years to become a team. Not leave at the first sign of adversity or a better deal. We enjoy watching guys become loyal to each other and the university they play for. We fear that the days of those things are over and that something we really enjoy is gone. And if the universities start to pay the players, well then it is my money. In fact, if you consider the scholarships and all the perks, it’s already my money.

User avatar
AppWyo
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:01 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:47 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am
What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?
Some of us really enjoy watching guys work together for 4 or 5 years to become a team. Not leave at the first sign of adversity or a better deal. We enjoy watching guys become loyal to each other and the university they play for. We fear that the days of those things are over and that something we really enjoy is gone. And if the universities start to pay the players, well then it is my money. In fact, if you consider the scholarships and all the perks, it’s already my money.
I can understand that, but in a way it has always been like it is now, for example, when Jerry Moore got the job at App, because Sparky Woods left for South Carolina, Half the team either left or quit. That is no reason to act that way, but the players had the right to do so. Just like the schools and coaches are going to do what is in their best interest, the players have the opportunity to do the same. Now it is easier for the players to do what is in their best interest. Think about Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Randy Moss, Joe Flacco, or Baker Mayfield, etc. they did what was in their best interest.

I mean this past season UNC-Ch was complaining about one of their players not being able to play, however, when he was allowed to play they fell off of a cliff.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 1322 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:14 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:01 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:47 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am
What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?
Some of us really enjoy watching guys work together for 4 or 5 years to become a team. Not leave at the first sign of adversity or a better deal. We enjoy watching guys become loyal to each other and the university they play for. We fear that the days of those things are over and that something we really enjoy is gone. And if the universities start to pay the players, well then it is my money. In fact, if you consider the scholarships and all the perks, it’s already my money.
I can understand that, but in a way it has always been like it is now, for example, when Jerry Moore got the job at App, because Sparky Woods left for South Carolina, Half the team either left or quit. That is no reason to act that way, but the players had the right to do so. Just like the schools and coaches are going to do what is in their best interest, the players have the opportunity to do the same. Now it is easier for the players to do what is in their best interest. Think about Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Randy Moss, Joe Flacco, or Baker Mayfield, etc. they did what was in their best interest.

I mean this past season UNC-Ch was complaining about one of their players not being able to play, however, when he was allowed to play they fell off of a cliff.
Being able to move from team to team may be in a players best interest and it may not be. Some of life’s best lessons are learned through patience and adversity. And some guys who think they are ready to start and be a big star need some additional coaching to really prosper. I have said numerous times that as a free market guy I can’t disagree with NIL payments but the only way I see this all working is if universities and conferences are able to make and enforce contracts with players.

AppSt94
Posts: 10129
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6683 times
Been thanked: 4208 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:37 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:14 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:01 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:47 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am
What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?
Some of us really enjoy watching guys work together for 4 or 5 years to become a team. Not leave at the first sign of adversity or a better deal. We enjoy watching guys become loyal to each other and the university they play for. We fear that the days of those things are over and that something we really enjoy is gone. And if the universities start to pay the players, well then it is my money. In fact, if you consider the scholarships and all the perks, it’s already my money.
I can understand that, but in a way it has always been like it is now, for example, when Jerry Moore got the job at App, because Sparky Woods left for South Carolina, Half the team either left or quit. That is no reason to act that way, but the players had the right to do so. Just like the schools and coaches are going to do what is in their best interest, the players have the opportunity to do the same. Now it is easier for the players to do what is in their best interest. Think about Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Randy Moss, Joe Flacco, or Baker Mayfield, etc. they did what was in their best interest.

I mean this past season UNC-Ch was complaining about one of their players not being able to play, however, when he was allowed to play they fell off of a cliff.
Being able to move from team to team may be in a players best interest and it may not be. Some of life’s best lessons are learned through patience and adversity. And some guys who think they are ready to start and be a big star need some additional coaching to really prosper. I have said numerous times that as a free market guy I can’t disagree with NIL payments but the only way I see this all working is if universities and conferences are able to make and enforce contracts with players.
So what does a contract look like between player and school? I get your point and in theory it sounds good, but I feel like you are looking at it through only one lense. Sure it would keep a guy like MCLeod going to Auburn. But it would also mean that you don’t get guys like Fletcher, Collins, Marshall, Funderburke, et al. It also means that you can’t free up a scholarship that’s being occupied by dead weight. It truly works both ways.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 1322 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:10 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:37 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:14 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:01 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:47 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am
What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?
Some of us really enjoy watching guys work together for 4 or 5 years to become a team. Not leave at the first sign of adversity or a better deal. We enjoy watching guys become loyal to each other and the university they play for. We fear that the days of those things are over and that something we really enjoy is gone. And if the universities start to pay the players, well then it is my money. In fact, if you consider the scholarships and all the perks, it’s already my money.
I can understand that, but in a way it has always been like it is now, for example, when Jerry Moore got the job at App, because Sparky Woods left for South Carolina, Half the team either left or quit. That is no reason to act that way, but the players had the right to do so. Just like the schools and coaches are going to do what is in their best interest, the players have the opportunity to do the same. Now it is easier for the players to do what is in their best interest. Think about Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Randy Moss, Joe Flacco, or Baker Mayfield, etc. they did what was in their best interest.

I mean this past season UNC-Ch was complaining about one of their players not being able to play, however, when he was allowed to play they fell off of a cliff.
Being able to move from team to team may be in a players best interest and it may not be. Some of life’s best lessons are learned through patience and adversity. And some guys who think they are ready to start and be a big star need some additional coaching to really prosper. I have said numerous times that as a free market guy I can’t disagree with NIL payments but the only way I see this all working is if universities and conferences are able to make and enforce contracts with players.
So what does a contract look like between player and school? I get your point and in theory it sounds good, but I feel like you are looking at it through only one lense. Sure it would keep a guy like MCLeod going to Auburn. But it would also mean that you don’t get guys like Fletcher, Collins, Marshall, Funderburke, et al. It also means that you can’t free up a scholarship that’s being occupied by dead weight. It truly works both ways.
I look at the NFL and I see rules in place to try to keep things competitive. I believe the same thing will need to be done in college. A player signs a contract in the NFL and it restricts his movement. It doesn’t mean he can’t move it just creates consequences. As a possible example, let’s say a player accepts a scholarship at App and the next season, because of the exposure APP offered him he gets an NIL deal at another school. Apps contract with this player might require him to give App 10% of his NIL money. My point is that I see no way this works if the universities invest in the players and have absolutely no recourse if the player decides to leave. As for freeing up scholarships occupied by dead weight there is no reason the contract has to offer a 4 year ride. Division two schools have been offering “ make good “ scholarships for decades.

bcoach
Posts: 4363
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1288 times
Been thanked: 1409 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:37 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:48 am
KentHogan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:25 am
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:14 am
Let's get it over with because this slow death of the college system is painful.
Agree. The college system is the latest victim to the societal shift of me first. I miss JFK.
I think it’s more of a societal shift toward victim hood, it’s never been more popular to be a victim and feel that you’re owed something.

Ironically, I don’t think the players considered themselves victims, I think most were thrilled with a free ride and a chance to get an education, and maybe a shot at the NFL.

Now they’re being told they’re entitled to more because football makes money.

Don’t blame the players for taking advantage, but I doubt this mindset really helps them in the long run once they get a real job.

Go App!
Victimhood is a better term for what I meant.
Great points. If you took every single football, basketball and I’ll include baseball players at every division one (mostly) who played in the last say, 10 years how many went pro? How many took the athletic scholarship with the sole intention of using the free education for a degree? I’m pretty sure the second number FAR exceeds the first. Ultimately this whole mess is for maybe 1% of all college athletes when you include the Olympic or other non-revenue generating sports. Granted the top football and basketball teams do generate lots of money for their schools but a great majority of smaller schools either lose money or barely survive and most count on student fees to pay the bills. College athletics is a microcosm of everything else in society. Exceptions are made for a small percentage and paid for by the majority who don’t expect anything.
There is always sombody like you around. You should be ashamed.
You just spew out factual information instead of just repeating what you heard someone say. How will rumors and false information ever survive with people like you around.

bcoach
Posts: 4363
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1288 times
Been thanked: 1409 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:42 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:24 am
What is the big deal really?

Is not our money.

So why does it matter?
That's what congress says every year. How is that working out.

Bigdaddyg1
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:58 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:37 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:48 am
KentHogan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:25 am


Agree. The college system is the latest victim to the societal shift of me first. I miss JFK.
I think it’s more of a societal shift toward victim hood, it’s never been more popular to be a victim and feel that you’re owed something.

Ironically, I don’t think the players considered themselves victims, I think most were thrilled with a free ride and a chance to get an education, and maybe a shot at the NFL.

Now they’re being told they’re entitled to more because football makes money.

Don’t blame the players for taking advantage, but I doubt this mindset really helps them in the long run once they get a real job.

Go App!
Victimhood is a better term for what I meant.
Great points. If you took every single football, basketball and I’ll include baseball players at every division one (mostly) who played in the last say, 10 years how many went pro? How many took the athletic scholarship with the sole intention of using the free education for a degree? I’m pretty sure the second number FAR exceeds the first. Ultimately this whole mess is for maybe 1% of all college athletes when you include the Olympic or other non-revenue generating sports. Granted the top football and basketball teams do generate lots of money for their schools but a great majority of smaller schools either lose money or barely survive and most count on student fees to pay the bills. College athletics is a microcosm of everything else in society. Exceptions are made for a small percentage and paid for by the majority who don’t expect anything.
There is always sombody like you around. You should be ashamed.
You just spew out factual information instead of just repeating what you heard someone say. How will rumors and false information ever survive with people like you around.
Some of the pro paying athletes arguments are insane- it’s not my money, they deserve it, etc. I could not care less if any athlete makes money for
Legitimately endorsing a product for a business. If that business really thinks some 18-23 year old football player will help him sell his product then by all means pay him or her. If a school has a stud player and people want to buy his jersey (with his name on it) then by all means he should get a cut. Any pay for performance type deal will be a disaster. Hard to imagine “stud athletes” at the power schools happily standing on the sidelines failing to achieve enough PT for cash.

User avatar
AppWyo
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:03 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:10 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:37 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:14 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:01 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:47 pm


Some of us really enjoy watching guys work together for 4 or 5 years to become a team. Not leave at the first sign of adversity or a better deal. We enjoy watching guys become loyal to each other and the university they play for. We fear that the days of those things are over and that something we really enjoy is gone. And if the universities start to pay the players, well then it is my money. In fact, if you consider the scholarships and all the perks, it’s already my money.
I can understand that, but in a way it has always been like it is now, for example, when Jerry Moore got the job at App, because Sparky Woods left for South Carolina, Half the team either left or quit. That is no reason to act that way, but the players had the right to do so. Just like the schools and coaches are going to do what is in their best interest, the players have the opportunity to do the same. Now it is easier for the players to do what is in their best interest. Think about Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Randy Moss, Joe Flacco, or Baker Mayfield, etc. they did what was in their best interest.

I mean this past season UNC-Ch was complaining about one of their players not being able to play, however, when he was allowed to play they fell off of a cliff.
Being able to move from team to team may be in a players best interest and it may not be. Some of life’s best lessons are learned through patience and adversity. And some guys who think they are ready to start and be a big star need some additional coaching to really prosper. I have said numerous times that as a free market guy I can’t disagree with NIL payments but the only way I see this all working is if universities and conferences are able to make and enforce contracts with players.
So what does a contract look like between player and school? I get your point and in theory it sounds good, but I feel like you are looking at it through only one lense. Sure it would keep a guy like MCLeod going to Auburn. But it would also mean that you don’t get guys like Fletcher, Collins, Marshall, Funderburke, et al. It also means that you can’t free up a scholarship that’s being occupied by dead weight. It truly works both ways.
I look at the NFL and I see rules in place to try to keep things competitive. I believe the same thing will need to be done in college. A player signs a contract in the NFL and it restricts his movement. It doesn’t mean he can’t move it just creates consequences. As a possible example, let’s say a player accepts a scholarship at App and the next season, because of the exposure APP offered him he gets an NIL deal at another school. Apps contract with this player might require him to give App 10% of his NIL money. My point is that I see no way this works if the universities invest in the players and have absolutely no recourse if the player decides to leave. As for freeing up scholarships occupied by dead weight there is no reason the contract has to offer a 4 year ride. Division two schools have been offering “ make good “ scholarships for decades.
If the same thing is done in college as in the NFL draft for a competitive advantage, all five star recruits will have to play for Kent State in 2024. https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/519126 ... ostseason/

bcoach
Posts: 4363
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1288 times
Been thanked: 1409 times

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:13 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:58 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:37 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:48 am
KentHogan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:46 am


I think it’s more of a societal shift toward victim hood, it’s never been more popular to be a victim and feel that you’re owed something.

Ironically, I don’t think the players considered themselves victims, I think most were thrilled with a free ride and a chance to get an education, and maybe a shot at the NFL.

Now they’re being told they’re entitled to more because football makes money.

Don’t blame the players for taking advantage, but I doubt this mindset really helps them in the long run once they get a real job.

Go App!
Victimhood is a better term for what I meant.
Great points. If you took every single football, basketball and I’ll include baseball players at every division one (mostly) who played in the last say, 10 years how many went pro? How many took the athletic scholarship with the sole intention of using the free education for a degree? I’m pretty sure the second number FAR exceeds the first. Ultimately this whole mess is for maybe 1% of all college athletes when you include the Olympic or other non-revenue generating sports. Granted the top football and basketball teams do generate lots of money for their schools but a great majority of smaller schools either lose money or barely survive and most count on student fees to pay the bills. College athletics is a microcosm of everything else in society. Exceptions are made for a small percentage and paid for by the majority who don’t expect anything.
There is always sombody like you around. You should be ashamed.
You just spew out factual information instead of just repeating what you heard someone say. How will rumors and false information ever survive with people like you around.
Some of the pro paying athletes arguments are insane- it’s not my money, they deserve it, etc. I could not care less if any athlete makes money for
Legitimately endorsing a product for a business. If that business really thinks some 18-23 year old football player will help him sell his product then by all means pay him or her. If a school has a stud player and people want to buy his jersey (with his name on it) then by all means he should get a cut. Any pay for performance type deal will be a disaster. Hard to imagine “stud athletes” at the power schools happily standing on the sidelines failing to achieve enough PT for cash.
Yesvery good points, except we all know a deal that is not pay for play will not exist. It is just an open door to boosters. I still believe it was, is, and will be a very bad idea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”