Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

March Madness

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: March Madness

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:59 pm

I’ve had similar thoughts.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:00 pm

Even though he mispronounced our name (of course) we did get a little shout out.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:46 pm
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:26 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:15 pm
Yale joins the I beat Auburn club. Clutch down the stretch. Rough 24 hours for the SEC.
I thought the SEC was supposed to be a power conference and had a lot of money. Doesn't that automatically translate to deep tournament runs?
100% That is why I am not big into this NIL stuff. I am not spending extra money I don't have on something that is not a guarantee. SEC draws the most money and has the most NIL contributions but the league has had a rough first round.
Except for Edey I haven't heard any mention of a lottery pick in any game. Absolutely idiotic to pay big money to 18-22 year olds who are playing pressure games.
Dalton Knecht of Tennessee and Filipowski of Duke are likely top 15-20 players. I think Kentucky has 2 that are suppose to be top 20 picks in Sheppard and Dillingham but we saw they lost. I think Castle of UCONN and Shannon at Illinois are suppose to be first round picks. I might be missing some but I know I have heard or read those names at some point in the last few weeks.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:29 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:15 pm
Yale joins the I beat Auburn club. Clutch down the stretch. Rough 24 hours for the SEC.
I thought the SEC was supposed to be a power conference and had a lot of money. Doesn't that automatically translate to deep tournament runs?
100% That is why I am not big into this NIL stuff. I am not spending extra money I don't have on something that is not a guarantee. SEC draws the most money and has the most NIL contributions but the league has had a rough first round.
Except for Edey I haven't heard any mention of a lottery pick in any game. Absolutely idiotic to pay big money to 18-22 year olds who are playing pressure games.
Dalton Knecht of Tennessee and Filipowski of Duke are likely top 15-20 players. I think Kentucky has 2 that are suppose to be top 20 picks in Sheppard and Dillingham but we saw they lost. I think Castle of UCONN and Shannon at Illinois are suppose to be first round picks. I might be missing some but I know I have heard or read those names at some point in the last few weeks.
Are any of these guys expected to be lottery picks? Good list there but most of the lottery picks are playing G League or overseas.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:47 am

Dillingham is from Hickory. And is making a lot of money.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:30 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:29 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
RaleighApp27609 wrote:

Are any of these guys expected to be lottery picks? Good list there but most of the lottery picks are playing G League or overseas.
I just mentioned names I have seen as first round picks because stock can rise but I think Filipowski and Knecht seem to be best chances at going that high. I think Sheppard was in the top 15 of a few websites as well. I would fully expect at least 2-3 to go in the lottery though. Last year 10 of the top 15 picks were college players.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:41 am

ESPN - TOP NBA PROSPECTS IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT -
10. Yves Missi | C | Baylor
6-11 | Age: 19.8 | Freshman

When: No. 3 Baylor vs. No. 14 Colgate | Friday | 12:40 p.m. ET | truTV

play
0:23
Yves Missi somehow sinks one-handed basketYves Missi goes up for the contested shot and somehow sinks it with one hand for Baylor.
Missi enjoyed a solid freshman season that helped establish him as a potential first-round pick, playing an important role for a Baylor team where six different players average double figures. While still very much a long-term project, Missi's physical skills, powerful dunks and flashes of shot-blocking portend NBA upside. However, he can also be very mistake-prone, leaving points on the table at times on offense, and struggling a bit with defensive awareness. The matchup-driven nature of the NCAA tournament will put him under an interesting microscope, particularly if a methodical, system-driven team such as Colgate can slow the game and give Baylor problems. Missi could be part of the solution for the Bears, or part of the reason they exit. -- Woo

9. Stephon Castle | PG/SG | UConn
6-6 | Age: 19.3 | Freshman

When: No. 1 Connecticut vs. No. 16 Stetson | Friday | 2:45 p.m. ET | CBS

play
Stephon Castle flexes after his steal-and-slamUConn's Stephon Castle finishes with authority at the rim after a heads-up steal against Seton Hall.
Castle is one of the most polarizing prospects in this class and his lukewarm showing in the Big East tournament last weekend did not help alleviate concerns about his struggles against high-level competition. Castle passes the eye test at first glance and is an excellent defender, but he has had a difficulty scoring efficiently against the better teams UConn has faced, shooting 43.5% for 2 and 26% for 3 with a high turnover rate in 16 games against top-50 opponents, per Bart Torvik. Teams hoping to consider him in the lottery will want to see him make a bigger impact with the significant platform he'll have on the No. 1-seeded team in the NCAA tournament. -- Givony

8. Zach Edey | C | Purdue
7-4 | Age: 21.8 | Senior

When: No. 1 Purdue vs. No. 16 Grambling/Montana State | Friday | 7:25 p.m. ET | TBS

play
0:18
Zach Edey gets the rebound and bucketZach Edey gets the rebound off the backboard and takes it in for a bucket against Michigan.
There's little argument that the 7-4 Edey is college basketball's most dominant player. He's in line to win back-to-back Wooden Awards, having led Purdue to another No. 1 seed. The Boilermakers have Final Four expectations, but he will first have to overcome the specter of last year's shocking first-round loss to No. 16 seed Fairleigh Dickinson. The odds are Edey is up for the challenge, as scouts have seen him come out of his shell even more as a competitor this season, with his size, motor, rebounding ability and good touch around the basket, creating unique problems for opponents. While still an acquired taste for some -- his defensive concerns as a slower-footed big are legitimate -- he's established himself as a lottery candidate at this point and has little left to prove. Anchoring a deep March run and helping shake the stigma around his team in the tournament would be the cherry on top. -- Woo

7. Kyle Filipowski | PF/C | Duke
7-0 | Age: 20.3 | Sophomore

When: No. 4 Duke vs. No. 13 Vermont | Friday | 7:10 p.m. ET | CBS

play
0:17
Kyle Filipowski gets the tough score to dropDuke's Kyle Filipowski spins past a defender for a bucket.
For Duke to mount a run into the second weekend of the tournament, Filipowski will have to be at his best, as much of what the Blue Devils run goes through him. While extremely productive due to the massive role he plays, he's been a mixed bag this season, demonstrating important individual growth defensively, but still leaving something to be desired with his consistency and toughness. There aren't a lot of college players who can match Filipowski's skill level at his size, making him a potential tourney star. A series of good performances would help remind teams of what he can do, particularly if he can hit shots from outside the arc (35% from 3) and protect the basket (2.0 blocks per 40) at better clips. -- Woo

6. Cody Williams | SG/SF | Colorado
6-8 | Age: 19.3 | Freshman

When: No. Colorado vs. No. 10 Boise State | Wednesday | 9:10 p.m. ET | truTV

play
0:18
Cody Williams throws down powerful dunk vs. UCLA BruinsCody Williams throws down powerful dunk vs. UCLA Bruins
Williams' individual play has tapered off in recent weeks, and he's also dealt with minor injuries, slowing to some extent his momentum as a lottery pick. He projects as a plus defender, and there's a lot to like about his size, feel and room to develop as a big playmaker, but he's still a ways from impacting the game at the NBA level. Since his return from injury on March 14, Williams has been coming off the bench as the sixth man for a Colorado team that will have to win its First Four game versus Boise State on Wednesday night. While not a focal point on the Buffaloes, whatever contributions Williams can make could help to stabilize his stock. Some teams are still bullish on his upside while others are concerned with his dovetailing play and the leap he'll need to make as a ball handler and shooter to have long-term success. The tourney is a big platform for him to assuage some of that, although it may be a tall order considering his somewhat limited offensive role. -- Woo

5. Ja'Kobe Walter | SG/SF | Baylor
6-5 | Age: 19.5 | Freshman

When: No. 3 Baylor vs. No. 14 Colgate | Friday | 12:40 p.m. ET | truTV

play
0:16
Baylor's Ja'Kobe Walter swishes the open tripleJa'Kobe Walter sets his feet and causally sinks the deep 3-pointer vs. Cincinnati.
Walter looked like one of the best freshman shooters in the country in the first two months of the season, hitting 3s in dynamic fashion running off screens and pulling up off the dribble. However, he has struggled to score efficiently in conference play -- shooting 37% for 2 and 30% for 3 over his past 20 Big 12 games. With more turnovers than assists, it's led to some questions regarding how he impacts the game on nights his jumper isn't falling, as his defense has also been inconsistent. Baylor's high-powered offense needs Walter to rediscover his scoring touch to advance in the NCAA tournament, and scouts will be hoping to be reminded of why Walter was viewed as a potential top-five pick earlier in the season, something that looks to be in serious doubt. -- Givony

4. Dalton Knecht | SF | Tennessee
6-6 | Age: 22.9 | Senior

When: No. 2 Tennessee vs. No. 15 Saint Peter's | Thursday | 9:20 p.m. ET | TNT

play
1:44
Knecht says Vols plan to 'go put on a show for the world'Dalton Knecht describes his excitement for his first March Madness experience and explains how Tennessee will be using its SEC tourney loss as fuel during the postseason.
Knecht emerged as Tennessee's go-to scorer after transferring from Northern Colorado, putting himself on the map as a first-round pick while carrying the Volunteers. He was not on the radar this time a year ago but legitimized himself with three-level scoring instincts and the ability to shoot off screens as well as off the bounce. His ability to efficiently shoulder a heavy volume has made him one of the most dangerous players in the country. On the defensive end, Knecht is often targeted by opponents due to his below-average awareness and slow foot speed, something NBA scouts have scrutinized and a trend that should continue in high-level tournament games. For as much as he has the ball, Knecht also isn't a great playmaker (2.3 assists per 40). If opposing teams can slow him down, the Volunteers can be vulnerable due to the lack of quality shooting around him, something we saw happen against Mississippi State in the SEC tournament. The tourney is a big platform for Knecht to make a statement. -- Woo

3. Donovan Clingan | C | UConn
7-2 | Age: 20.0 | Sophomore

When: No. 1 Connecticut vs. No. 16 Stetson | Friday | 2:45 p.m. ET | CBS

play
Donovan Clingan gets up for a beautiful slamDonovan Clingan gets up for a beautiful slam
Clingan battled injuries to start the season but has played some of his best basketball in March, especially when he has been able to stay out of foul trouble. He's the most impactful defensive big man in college basketball, putting a lid on the rim with his 7-foot-7 wingspan and tremendous timing as a shot-blocker. He also plays a significant role for the nation's top-ranked offense, as UConn runs many of its half-court sets through him in the low, mid or high post. He sets bruising screens, can facilitate out of dribble handoffs and finishes skillfully with polished footwork using both hands around the basket. However, Clingan doesn't always play above the rim as frequently as scouts might hope and has some questions he has to answer long term regarding his ability to defend in space. Clingan had some excellent moments in last year's NCAA tournament and will have a huge platform to continue to make his case as a potential top-five pick if he can help UConn make another deep run. -- Givony

2. Reed Sheppard | PG/SG | Kentucky
6-2 | Age: 19.7 | Freshman

When: No. 3 Kentucky vs. No. 14 Oakland | Thursday | 7:10 p.m. ET | CBS

play
0:20
Reed Sheppard hits the trey vs. Texas A&M AggiesReed Sheppard hits the trey vs. Texas A&M Aggies
Sheppard has wowed NBA scouts all season with his shooting prowess, playmaking acumen, defensive instincts, productivity and never-ending poise and confidence. No one thought of him as a one-and-done candidate entering college, but he's continued to state his case as the best freshman in college basketball, winning over skeptics who express concern about his limited physical skills. While exceptionally efficient, Sheppard has one of the lowest usage rates of any player projected to be drafted. Scouts will want to see Sheppard continue to be aggressive seeking out opportunities to create offense for himself and others, while holding his own as a one-on-one defender. -- Givony

1. Rob Dillingham | PG | Kentucky
6-2 | Age: 19.2 | Freshman

When: No. 3 Kentucky vs. No. 14 Oakland | Thursday | 7:10 p.m. ET | CBS

play
0:24
Rob Dillingham drops his defender and finishes the layupRob Dillingham sends his defender to the floor and hits the layup for Kentucky.
Dillingham is the type of explosive, dynamic guard capable of lighting up an NCAA tournament game. His scoring instincts and sheer star power give him a huge platform to state his case as a potential No. 1 pick if Kentucky can make the Final Four. He gets anywhere he wants on the floor with his electric ballhandling and change of pace, has unlimited confidence pulling up off the dribble and is a creative passer and finisher with a huge amount of swagger who won't shy away from pressure-packed situations. Scouts will be watching to see how he handles physicality on both ends of the floor and if he can find a way to make good decisions and not be a liability defensively, as has been the case in some games this season. -- Givony
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am

Unless Flip can improve his 3 point game, he will not transition to the NBA very well. There are too many more athletic guys in the NBA. IMHO...I would not take a first round pick on him ..but he will get drafted....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Ok. I'm pulling for NC State. 4/5 starters are seniors, and they are leaving it all on the court for a coach who was about to be fired. I can get behind that and cheer for a "local" team.

You know the powers of the universe want to see a rag tag ncsu vs 1 seed Houston.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:38 pm

Brownell talking trash about the NET. I can get behind that.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:15 pm

How did the net do at predicting outcomes of ncaa games?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:37 pm

Go Bulldogs!
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:14 pm

NOT pulling for JMU, the sunbelt won’t be thought of any different if they win, but their program will get stronger with a sweet 16 app, and I don’t want that over any micro SB push. Go Duke

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:36 pm

Dolly needed everything to go their way. Not so much in 1st half.. Edwards 2 fouls in first two minutes and Dook guards hitting 3s
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:53 pm

Announcer just mispronounced our name. How does that keep happening??

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:00 pm

Overmatched. Wisconsin wasn’t a very athletic team and was a great matchup for JMU.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:00 pm

JMU looks timid and Duke is steamrolling them right now
YNWA

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:07 pm

Embarrassing for the Belt so far.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:19 pm

But Georgia won. So there’s that.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:21 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:19 pm
But Georgia won. So there’s that.
Glad they beat Wake.

Georgia and Ohio State in a playoff game…? Seen that one before. Wrong sport

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”