Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FSU threatens to go BIG10

appdaze

FSU threatens to go BIG10

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:02 pm

F'em. They can chase the dragon all they want. Too chicken to go SEC or they learned the SEC doesnt want them. My guess is the SEC would prefer Miami if given the choice. Whatever.

All i ask and hope for is that the ACC core basketball teams stick together. Duke, UNC, NCSU, Virginia, Wake, Gtech, clemson, louisville, and Vtech. Pitt and Cuse can go elsewhere if they want. Fsu too. Id love to keep miami but i think they will leave. Just give me basketball. Its the best thing college athletics have going.

I want the ACC to survive for our sake as well. I dont think it will be good if the NC, SC, VA teams all split up.

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: FSU threatens to go BIG10

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:27 pm

Haha, the thought of this makes me laugh. Can anyone imagine a FSU team having to travel in late October through November to all those Big10 outdoor stadiums. Good luck with that. Not to mention, the ACC grant of rights will suck them dry until it ends in 2036. I know there is a huge difference in the Big 10 payout, but when a substantial percentage of that is going to service the debt on the ACC GOR payout, not sure how significant actually turns out to be. Also, with the new additions of the west schools coupled with the top Big 10 schools already, not sure FSU could even consistently finish in the top 3-4 to make the playoffs. ACC is still a much easier path to the 12 team playoff. It would be fun to watch FSU play in the snow in November, doubt it would end well for them.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:43 pm

Is there any corroborated reports that the Big10 is interested in FSU?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:04 pm

I don't see them at the front of the line.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:41 pm

They've been "threatening" to leave the ACC for years. Nothing to do with them being "chicken." The problem is, those exit fees don't just disappear.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:46 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:02 pm

All i ask and hope for is that the ACC core basketball teams stick together. Duke, UNC, NCSU, Virginia, Wake, Gtech, clemson, louisville, and Vtech. Pitt and Cuse can go elsewhere if they want. Fsu too. Id love to keep miami but i think they will leave. Just give me basketball. Its the best thing college athletics have going.
Also, that's not really the likely breakdown. FSU, Clemson and UNC were the three who voted against adding Cal, Stanford and SMU, and those are the ones I think you need to watch out for bolting IF they could ever find a way out. That's probably the main reason the league added those teams anyway - to keep its membership numbers up in case of defections. UNC would probably hesitate more than the others because of the Duke rivalry.

Nobody wants Pitt or Syracuse. I don't know that Miami is in as high demand as you seem to think, either.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:41 am

I agree on Miami. It is a pro sports town. Team only gets support when winning. Wonder what the TV viewership is when they are on TV? Does it move the needle?
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:57 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:46 pm
appdaze wrote:

Also, that's not really the likely breakdown. FSU, Clemson and UNC were the three who voted against adding Cal, Stanford and SMU, and those are the ones I think you need to watch out for bolting IF they could ever find a way out. That's probably the main reason the league added those teams anyway - to keep its membership numbers up in case of defections. UNC would probably hesitate more than the others because of the Duke rivalry.

Nobody wants Pitt or Syracuse. I don't know that Miami is in as high demand as you seem to think, either.
Looking at this from the basketball angle...can you imagine the earthquake that would go through the ACC if UNC decided to leave?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:04 am

Come next year will the names of any conference really make sense? The Big... won't have the number of teams the title says, the Atlantic Coast Conference has west coast teams as well some well off the coast, the PAC whatever will be gone. Only the SEC title will make any sense at all.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:39 am

In my opinion, Florida State has nowhere to go. If the Big decides to move to 18, they are likely targeting UNC, UVA or Notre Dame and would be OK stating where they are if those three say no. FSU is a SEC type school that the SEC doesn’t need.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:53 am

appdaze wrote:

I want the ACC to survive for our sake as well. I dont think it will be good if the NC, SC, VA teams all split up.
How does the NC SC VA teams sticking together help App State in your view?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:54 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:39 am
In my opinion, Florida State has nowhere to go. If the Big decides to move to 18, they are likely targeting UNC, UVA or Notre Dame and would be OK stating where they are if those three say no. FSU is a SEC type school that the SEC doesn’t need.
True. I’m guessing the Sun Belt would like to have representation from the state of Florida. ;-)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:10 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:54 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:39 am
True. I’m guessing the Sun Belt would like to have representation from the state of Florida. ;-)
They are more of CUSA material. :D

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:12 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:53 am
appdaze wrote:

I don’t seeing them affecting App one way or another. What were your thoughts?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:56 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:12 am
appdaze wrote:

It potentially may have dominos in realignment. If ACC expands again to offset other teams leaving to save itself and a couple of AAC teams not named EasyU get taken away, EasyU could potentially fall into SBCs lap. But who knows with realignment.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:47 am

The irony, when it all happens/finishes, is it is going to be 18 team conferences with 9 team divisions and the 9 team divisions are going to end up a lot like the original conference from the 70s. They are just creating a tv contract with two old 1970's conferences. Maybe end up with three 1970's conferences in one conference where each division is just like the 70's conference line up.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:19 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:04 am
Come next year will the names of any conference really make sense? The Big... won't have the number of teams the title says, the Atlantic Coast Conference has west coast teams as well some well off the coast, the PAC whatever will be gone. Only the SEC title will make any sense at all.
Yeah, been that way for a while.

The best way I heard it explained is, they still have all the old names, but don't think of it as the SEC and Big 10 anymore. It's the ESPN conference and the Fox conference. Everyone else is just trying to stay afloat.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:12 am
appdaze wrote:

I don't really either beyond having schools in more conferences splits up the media market but it is already split and the G5 schools are firmly part of ESPN+. As a Greensboro native I lost any concern for the ACC, and there was little to start with, when they left for Charlotte.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:48 pm

FSU and a bunch/several SEC schools wanted them in the SEC in the past. In part to help balance the eastern division strength. It was discussed several times but never made it to a vote. UF had veto power and did not want another Florida school in the SEC, particularly an arch rival they were having trouble beating. This was supposedly the impetus that got them into the ACC. Most of this took place during the Bowden years and I think at least once after. I was once told by a Florida Gator that "would know" (lol), that UF will never allow FSU into the SEC.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:06 pm

Apptiger wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:48 pm
FSU and a bunch/several SEC schools wanted them in the SEC in the past. In part to help balance the eastern division strength. It was discussed several times but never made it to a vote. UF had veto power and did not want another Florida school in the SEC, particularly an arch rival they were having trouble beating. This was supposedly the impetus that got them into the ACC. Most of this took place during the Bowden years and I think at least once after. I was once told by a Florida Gator that "would know" (lol), that UF will never allow FSU into the SEC.
Bobby Bowden was on record on many occasions explaining that he had no interest in joining the SEC. He recognized the competitive advantage he would have in the ACC and had zero interest in being in the SEC. Saw one tv interview where he compared it to a snake pit and he had no desire to go into that pit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”