Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Cignetti

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Re: Cignetti

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:12 pm

Kumbaya
Last edited by ASUTodd on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:18 pm

As I age the more irony I notice.

Back to the subject, JMU is following a similar formula. They’ve hired a successful FCS head coach again, will be interesting to see where they look for coordinators.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:18 am

I do think it will be interesting. I would imagine he is a good coach, but it seems his inexperience in recruiting for a scholarship based program could require a learning curve. I would think he hires a staff that helps to fill those experience gaps. It will definitely be interesting.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:35 am

JMU fans seem happy about the new hire. Same recipe, similar fan support, may even lead to similar results. Will be interesting to watch.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:49 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:12 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:37 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:39 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:35 pm
hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:28 pm

Hopefully Indiana won't hold that against him.

BTW, your Graham G-Men lost to Radford in the state semis.
Yep I saw that - but they were our rivals - I was a Bluefield Beaver - How about Phoebus - they play Salem on Saturday for the championship, would be their 3rd in a row - probably would have been 4 if it weren't for Treyvion Henderson
Henderson went to my alma mater, Hopewell.
Yes, I remembered that, that's why I mentioned it :D
Hoping Phoebus beats Salem. All those years Salem was racking up state titles, Hopewell (the same size) was continuing to play at the state's highest level (AAA in those days, while Salem was AA). Salem had a huge advantage over most of the schools they played who were mostly rural. The reclassification into six divisions from three brought a bunch more competitive schools that Salem now has to contend with. While still good, they don't run roughshod over the opposition now. Of course, the reclassification has helped Hopewell as well. Smaller city schools (though that's not Phoebus) do have some obvious advantages over their more rural opponents.
If Phoebus and Riverheads each win, I would think it be the first time that two teams that moved up a classification in the same year won states in the same year. Would not surprise me though because classification is only about school enrollment, not necessarily talent and the power of the program. Both of these schools have been great for years.

Don't follow much beyond 4A, but my predictions...

1A: Essex over Galax. After years of Riverheads dominance new crown awarded.

2A: Riverheads over Radford. Heard a lot about Radford QB and his talent, and their offense, but Riverheads is a different animal. Their offense scheme and physicality give teams nightmares and fits.

3A: LCA over Lafayette. Home field advantage and slightly better talent.

4A: Phoebus over Salem. Will be one heck of a game, and if I didn't have plans this weekend would love to watch this one in person. Just thinking Phoebus stout defense will make enough stops to win the game.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:55 am

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:13 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:24 am
AppOrange wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:47 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:25 am
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:21 pm

I dislike JMU and their overzealous fan base as much as everyone else, but we need them to be strong. Or maybe not. If App can get through Clemson, the East can be as weak as it wants to be next year, if you believe the committee believes in "just winning".
We want the SBC East to be strong, we don't need THEM to be strong. I'd be perfectly fine with everyone else being good and JMU and GA Southern sucking eggs for the rest of eternity.
Yes, the precedent has been set with the G5, win and you’re in. Liberty had the worst SOS in all of football, but got in due to not losing, which is interesting considering what happened to FSU. That schedule was really bad, but apparently that doesn’t matter for the spot. So I really don’t care if we play P5s anymore, just win, plus our conf is so much better. What the sunbelt needs to really take a step forward nationally is a few playoff appearances, why not us . . .
Liberty's toughest game next year is App State. They are likely to go 12-1 next year and will be the front runners in an ass conference playing the likes of Louisiana Tech, Sam Houston State, Kennesaw State, etc.
This is where Gill needs to step up. I know he is quiet, but this is a softball to go put and taught your conference. There are 8 other G5 teams out there with a better case for the Fiesta, this makes me sick. Talk about the luckiest SOB's of all time.
ESPN even called rhe committee out in more than one article I read. They were making the case for SMU, which I disagree with but they were far more deserving than Liberty. Troy is probably the best G5 team right now.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:08 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:49 am
hapapp wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
hapapp wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:35 pm

Yep I saw that - but they were our rivals - I was a Bluefield Beaver - How about Phoebus - they play Salem on Saturday for the championship, would be their 3rd in a row - probably would have been 4 if it weren't for Treyvion Henderson
Hoping Phoebus beats Salem. All those years Salem was racking up state titles, Hopewell (the same size) was continuing to play at the state's highest level (AAA in those days, while Salem was AA). Salem had a huge advantage over most of the schools they played who were mostly rural. The reclassification into six divisions from three brought a bunch more competitive schools that Salem now has to contend with. While still good, they don't run roughshod over the opposition now. Of course, the reclassification has helped Hopewell as well. Smaller city schools (though that's not Phoebus) do have some obvious advantages over their more rural opponents.
If Phoebus and Riverheads each win, I would think it be the first time that two teams that moved up a classification in the same year won states in the same year. Would not surprise me though because classification is only about school enrollment, not necessarily talent and the power of the program. Both of these schools have been great for years.

2A: Riverheads over Radford. Heard a lot about Radford QB and his talent, and their offense, but Riverheads is a different animal. Their offense scheme and physicality give teams nightmares and fits.

4A: Phoebus over Salem. Will be one heck of a game, and if I didn't have plans this weekend would love to watch this one in person. Just thinking Phoebus stout defense will make enough stops to win the game.
Isn't Rivershead going for 7 in a row? If LCA (associated with Liberty U) wins they will be the first private to win a VHSL title. I'm pulling for the Williamsburg bunch.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:54 am

And in WVA - Martinsburg rolling over everybody yet again -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:08 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:54 am
Saw them play Musselman in Inwood, WV earlier this year. They're a very impressive team.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:49 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:08 am
hapapp wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Isn't Rivershead going for 7 in a row? If LCA (associated with Liberty U) wins they will be the first private to win a VHSL title. I'm pulling for the Williamsburg bunch.
Yes. Not sure how Riverheads stayed 1A all those years while other schools in Augusta County grew but they did. Upset many people from SWVA as those teams would be the ones to face defeat each year in the championship game. Many wished they'd fall on their face moving up to 2A, but only loss the opener against Central (Woodstock) 8-7 which I feel was because they lost their best player in that game, and then just whooped Central (Woodstock) a couple weeks ago in the playoffs. Think it was 42-14. Think their success will definitely continue.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:19 am

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:08 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Saw them play Musselman in Inwood, WV earlier this year. They're a very impressive team.
Wasn't the Bagent guy who played at Shepherd and now the Bears from Martinsburg? - I'm surprised I don't see more guys from there at D1
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:43 am

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:49 am
hapapp wrote:
hapapp wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Yes. Not sure how Riverheads stayed 1A all those years while other schools in Augusta County grew but they did. Upset many people from SWVA as those teams would be the ones to face defeat each year in the championship game. Many wished they'd fall on their face moving up to 2A, but only loss the opener against Central (Woodstock) 8-7 which I feel was because they lost their best player in that game, and then just whooped Central (Woodstock) a couple weeks ago in the playoffs. Think it was 42-14. Think their success will definitely continue.
I believe Rivershead beat a state champion caliber team in 3A Lord Botetourt a year or so ago.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:46 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:19 am
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:08 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wasn't the Bagent guy who played at Shepherd and now the Bears from Martinsburg? - I'm surprised I don't see more guys from there at D1
Yes, Bagent went to Martinsburg. Surprises me as well that there isn't a pipeline established at that school. Relatively close to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, and Maryland. Plenty of D1 colleges in those states.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:50 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:43 am
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:49 am
hapapp wrote:
hapapp wrote:

I believe Rivershead beat a state champion caliber team in 3A Lord Botetourt a year or so ago.
Believe that's correct. Beat Christiansburg this year who I think is 3A and finished 8-2. Riverheads runs an old school double wing offense with a lot of twists and turns that takes discipline from a defense to contain. Most high school kids can't defend that for 4 quarters and end up leaving their gap or chasing after the wrong person.

They also have kids continuously interested starting at little league level, which is why they
field a varsity team of about 50 each season. Something many schools across the country struggle with these days... finding kids interested in playing

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:27 pm

My dad taught at Hampton HS from the early 60's to around '77 until we moved. He loved that school and they had quite a run and turned out a few really good college/pros.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:15 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:27 pm
My dad taught at Hampton HS from the early 60's to around '77 until we moved. He loved that school and they had quite a run and turned out a few really good college/pros.
The Crabbers were the team in that day. Coach Mike Smith won 12 state titles and the Hampton has won something 17 state championships in football and has placed easily more than a dozen players in the NFl. From 1975-85 they won seven state championships in football.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:39 pm

Could you PM me your father's name? - My wife is a graduate of Hampton HS during that time frame - I think Mike Smith is 3rd all time nationally in total number of wins -
Some of you older guys will remember Chris Hanburger - (Redskins) and Dwight Stephenson Alabama and Dolphins -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:12 am

I grew up in Va Beach and back then, the Hampton Crabbers were ALL WORLD. Every year.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:29 pm

Just in case anyone had interest - Phoebus beat Salem 21-14 but here is the kicker - Salem scored with 58 seconds left in the game and converted a 2 point extra point to tie the game 14-14.
However with 1 (one) second left Phoebus connected on an 86 yard TD pass to win the game --- Wow
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:06 pm

Source tells me JMU committed to the new coach that they would pursue the “ highest level of competition “ in the new NCAA realignment , whatever it ends up being.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”