Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Other scores - 10/5-10/7

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Other scores - 10/5-10/7

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:41 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:51 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:09 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:03 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:53 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:10 pm

One reason I don't subscribe to transitive property beyond direct proof is that teams can also improve and crazy things can happen like you said. I don't expect to be the same team in November that we were 2 weeks ago but I want to see how we look. I think the next 3 games will help tell us if we have a shot to be good or if we are likely in for another 6-6 or worse finish. Regardless if people are using scores or not I don't think it is unfair to say we have not been very impressive so far. Direct proof of that is we had Wyoming beat but somehow let that slip away and needed a last second kick and a lot of luck to beat a bad ULM team. We have to execute better, manage games better, and do a better job of protecting the ball. I am not writing us off yet but we do need to make significant strides in the next 3 weeks in games that I feel we absolutely should win.
No, we didn't get the W. But, we managed the game well against Wyoming. Even if we miss the FG, the long, grinding drive (19 plays) and the clock management were really good and most likely would have notched the win. Yes, the execution on that play didn't happen, but for 58 minutes our coaches put us in a position to likely win and that game was managed well. Our defense played a superb game. (Wyoming has more yards and three times as many first downs in one half against #24 Fresno State) They found a way to win. It is what it is, but to say we haven't been impressive is off base.
We impressed the hell out of the Wyoming fan base. Leaving the stadium, their fans in unison acknowledged that they lucked into one and that we played really well.
We've also given a Top 15 North Carolina their only real competition.
I’m fine with the rest of your points, and I agree with many in varying degrees, BUT the only reason we wasted three time outs on that drive was because we didn’t have four. We couldn’t call in a play on that drive to save our lives.
So, I went back and looked at the 4th Q replay. On the first TO with 9:30 left on 3rd and 6, we are in formation with 12 seconds left. At 6 seconds, Joey steps up to the line of scrimmage to makes adjustments and as the play clock winds to zero, the sidelines call timeout. We then convert the 3rd down coming out of the TO.

On the second one (with 8 minutes left), we are again at the line of scrimmage with at least 10 seconds left (the broadcast is showing the crowd). Joey tries to move Nate in the backfield. Nate doesn't move, Joey tries again and the TO is called before the clock goes to zero.

My opinion is that on both of those plays, the play was in and the personnel were in place in plenty of time (unlike in previous seasons). We simply had an inexperienced QB (starting his 3rd FCS game) who was able to get 17 of 19 plays snapped just before the play clock wound down, but couldn't get it done on two plays due to late adjustments.

The third came with 2:06 left, on Horn's almost catch, trying to get a review. Again, I support the coaching staff on that one.

Clark may not be perfect, and we need to get that win, but the coaching and play calling were solid and the timeouts prevented penalties and kept the drive going.
You’re either that bored or motivated. Im neither.
I was in attendance and it just seemed like the staff called the right game down the stretch. (and, if I'm going to offer a rebuttal, I want to make sure what I remembered was what actually happened)

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:40 pm

appst89 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:38 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:40 am
When do you fire your "chosen son" coach over one stupid move? Really, if a couple of you guys were ADs every school would be in trouble -
For whatever it’s worth, there were multiple pundits, with varying credentials, on sports talk radio last night and today saying that such an egregious coaching error is an immediately fireable offense.
And the fact that he hasn’t won an ACC home game yet…and that conference is trash.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:53 pm

their conf record is 0-1 - if they can beat the holes Sat, they are right back in it
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:49 am

For everyone who's still ranting about the Wyoming game, I do see some similarities to App's win against Troy last season.

Both squads were well-coached and the teams played their hearts out. Troy played a fantastic game and should've won. But things fell App's way at the end...on a freak play.

I'd imagine their fans had similar frustrations about that game.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:02 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:53 pm
their conf record is 0-1 - if they can beat the holes Sat, they are right back in it
Correct, he’s 0-1 in ACC and lost to a bottom feeder. But, he’s 0-7 at home v the ACC in 2 years. Bad. But, you’re right, they’ll stay with him, kinda have to. He can recruit and they have plenty of money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”