Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Really large strike zone it seems

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Really large strike zone it seems

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:32 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/ ... hree-call/

Ump suspended by Southland indefinitely.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppSt94

Re: Really large strike zone it seems

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:22 pm

Totally wrong to call that a strike. No doubt the kid showed him up on the pitch before. I wonder if that was the only instance of disrespect or if there was an ongoing issue with players throughout the game.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 pm

I am not sure it matters. If players being overly dramatic, you call the coach out for a discussion between pitches and/or discussion with batter with coach present. Both pitches were clearly out of strike zone. An umpire should never take game out of players hands in this type of situation even if the team had been disrespectful all game. If they had been all game, that is umpire fault for not nipping it in the bud...Barney Fife would have. Nip it, nip it...🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:49 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 pm
I am not sure it matters. If players being overly dramatic, you call the coach out for a discussion between pitches and/or discussion with batter with coach present. Both pitches were clearly out of strike zone. An umpire should never take game out of players hands in this type of situation even if the team had been disrespectful all game. If they had been all game, that is umpire fault for not nipping it in the bud...Barney Fife would have. Nip it, nip it...🤣
Agree with you on almost all accounts. I didn’t think that strike two was a bad pitch. It was close but if he had called it that way all game, then it wasn’t a bad call.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:58 am

The first strike called in that video was actually strike one and it was bad too, no matter how he had been calling strikes. No coach would put up with that pitch being in the zone, much less let it continue like that through the ninth inning. Batter probably shouldn't have jumped around like that but strike three was inexcusable. The umpire's attitude after that appeared to be pretty bad too. There had to have been other issues that led to this, but still inexcusable.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:11 am

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:58 am
The first strike called in that video was actually strike one and it was bad too, no matter how he had been calling strikes. No coach would put up with that pitch being in the zone, much less let it continue like that through the ninth inning. Batter probably shouldn't have jumped around like that but strike three was inexcusable. The umpire's attitude after that appeared to be pretty bad too. There had to have been other issues that led to this, but still inexcusable.
Agree. If the ump has that short of fuse then he shouldn’t ump.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:16 am

I have umpired a good bit- albeit at the Little League and dreaded Travel Ball levels. I retired (so to speak) but I could write a book about the lunatics and assholes i encountered during my time behind the plate and in the field. Most fans and coaches were decent but the bad ones were often horrible. In my mind I wanted to adjust strike zones to go against the jerks but it would have always been obvious and I always tried to be professional no matter what. If a game was out of hand I sometimes let the coach of a team know that the strike zone was going to expand but that went both ways. Based on what I saw on that video the umpire needs to be gone. It's one thing to call a borderline pitch up or down a strike or a ball (that happens) but one 8 inches off the plate was clearly a F you to the batter and coach.

I always tried to maintain a thick skin.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”