Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ETSU fires Coach

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: ETSU fires Coach

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:20 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:15 am
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 am
ncman071 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:22 am
If kerns leaves..at least the program is in much better shape for whichever coach takes his place. But i highly doubt he purses the ETSU job
Certainly true.Perhaps the litmus test for about any job , leave it better than you found it .The record indicates he is a good coach and we have had good teams .We want a great coach and great teams.At least we say we do .I'm not sure that's true.A longtime AD once told me that the best indication of the level of support for your program is season ticket sales.Basically he said that your hard core , come what may supporters were season ticket holders.Those were the people you could count on , they were "invested in your success" .Attendance is subject to many factors , weather , kids , spouse and most of all "the bandwagon effect" but season tickets sold showed you what kind of support the program really has.I don't know how many season ticket we sell but I don't think it's a alot.Performance has likely outpaced the level of "fan support".
Let's say (just for kicks) that we didn't charge a cent for basketball tickets. Would our average attendance increase dramatically? Is ticket cost a factor at all for our current program? I tend to think not really.
I agree. Tickets for basketball are $10 per. Given the lack of competition for entertainment dollars in the high country, particularly on a Thursday night, it is disheartening that folks don’t turn out.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:20 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
ncman071 wrote:
If kerns leaves..at least the program is in much better shape for whichever coach takes his place. But i highly doubt he purses the ETSU job
Certainly true.Perhaps the litmus test for about any job , leave it better than you found it .The record indicates he is a good coach and we have had good teams .We want a great coach and great teams.At least we say we do .I'm not sure that's true.A longtime AD once told me that the best indication of the level of support for your program is season ticket sales.Basically he said that your hard core , come what may supporters were season ticket holders.Those were the people you could count on , they were "invested in your success" .Attendance is subject to many factors , weather , kids , spouse and most of all "the bandwagon effect" but season tickets sold showed you what kind of support the program really has.I don't know how many season ticket we sell but I don't think it's a alot.Performance has likely outpaced the level of "fan support".
Let's say (just for kicks) that we didn't charge a cent for basketball tickets. Would our average attendance increase dramatically? Is ticket cost a factor at all for our current program? I tend to think not really.
I agree. Tickets for basketball are $10 per. Given the lack of competition for entertainment dollars in the high country, particularly on a Thursday night, it is disheartening that folks don’t turn out.
Basically no competition other than the ski slopes that time of year
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:43 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
ncman071 wrote:
Basically no competition other than the ski slopes that time of year
The competition for attention plays their games on CBS and ESPN.

We will continue to have attendance problems until the student culture changes in their support for the team by attending games. We need a few thousand students on the regular to build up the atmosphere. Build a better pre game and game time atmosphere and you draw in more alumni.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:07 am

AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
ncman071 wrote:
When did you get tickets for $10? I paid $15 one week and $20 the next because it was alumni week and the AD wanted to rip off the few people that show up.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:46 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:13 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:38 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:47 pm
I’ve posted current facts, you’ve posted assumptions and stated them as facts.

Then attempted to move the goal posts.

Stop.
Right. I forgot it was against the rules to hire your next coach at a higher rate than the one you just fired....
Again you stated it as a FACT that it would be a 50% raise. Got caught, keep digging.
Nowhere did I state it as a fact. If that's how you took it from reading text on a message board, that's on you.

Sorry you think salaries from this past season are the only comparison. Forbes was making north of $600k at ETSU. They can and will be paying more.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:31 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:05 pm
It’s a lateral move at best. One bid conference is a one bid conference.

If he leaves for a lateral position that says more about what App has coming back than anything.

Before I get labeled anti-Kerns as some tried in football, I hope he stays and wins big here.
Well when pay is at least 50% more, it's no longer a lateral move...
Pay “is” would be an assertion or statement of fact. Pay “could” be would have been a better choice of words.

Misusing words to support a bias and then pretending they mean something else is on you. Here’s your shovel back.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:58 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:31 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:05 pm
It’s a lateral move at best. One bid conference is a one bid conference.

If he leaves for a lateral position that says more about what App has coming back than anything.

Before I get labeled anti-Kerns as some tried in football, I hope he stays and wins big here.
Well when pay is at least 50% more, it's no longer a lateral move...
Pay “is” would be an assertion or statement of fact. Pay “could” be would have been a better choice of words.

Misusing words to support a bias and then pretending they mean something else is on you.
Again, Forbes made more than 600k and was one of the highest paid mid major coaches at ETSU. Just 4 seasons ago. ETSU can and will pay at least 50% more to get their guy.

Is Kerns their guy? No idea. But to think it's a lateral job when just 4 years ago they were paying 100% more than we pay is absurd.
tAPPedInSports.net

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:11 pm

Mike Morrell and Preston Spradlin seem to be the first up. They are looking for an experienced head coach.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:34 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:07 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
ncman071 wrote:
When did you get tickets for $10? I paid $15 one week and $20 the next because it was alumni week and the AD wanted to rip off the few people that show up.
Are weeknight tickets $15? I digress.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:35 pm

So is that a fact or an assumption?

Forbes salary was $400k when he left, you’re including a retention bonus which they didn’t have to pay as he left. Stop pretending we all don’t have access to this information. At no point has ETSU paid 50% higher than Kerns.

$50 Yosef Club bet their next coach doesn’t make $600k. I gave you a break from your new claim of 100% more.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:49 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:35 pm
So is that a fact or an assumption?

Forbes salary was $400k when he left, you’re including a retention bonus which they didn’t have to pay as he left. Stop pretending we all don’t have access to this information. At no point has ETSU paid 50% higher than Kerns.

$50 Yosef Club bet their next coach doesn’t make $600k. I gave you a break from your new claim of 100% more.
Kerns is not leaving to go to ETSU for less than 50% raise. That is not a fact.

ETSU can afford to pay their basketball coach 100% more than we can. That is a fact.

ETSU very recently was paying 650k according to all salary databases. That is a fact.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:00 pm

ETSU’s athletic budget is half of Apps.

Link to the salary database would be helpful, $400k is the highest I’ve seen.

So the bet is on or not?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:04 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:00 pm
ETSU’s athletic budget is half of Apps.

Link to the salary database would be helpful, $400k is the highest I’ve seen.

So the bet is on or not?
And basketball is their breadwinner.. football loses money for them.

Google is your friend.

No, the bet is not on. I don't know about ETSU athletics enough to make that bet. But I do know Kern's is not going to ETSU for less than 50% raise.
tAPPedInSports.net

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:05 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:09 am
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 am
JTApps1 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:23 pm
Some of you are misguided if you think he's happy to stay in Boone. He's had interest in or interviewed for a number of jobs that are anywhere from a lateral move to a small step up.
Which jobs?
I believe (emphasis on believe) he pursued the JMU job, the ETSU job previously, and I think he is currently pursuing the Wofford job. I have no idea if he is interested in the current ETSU job.
My question was directed at the original poster who insinuated that he has proof positive that Coach is unhappy and actively looking. At lateral moves. He might be but I see no proof that's the case.You qualified your statement with "believe" which I appreciate.I have no reason to think he is but I do believe that if he is approached he will evaluate the opportunity .He certainly should.I have .I will again given the opportunity.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:08 pm

I’ve googled it brother and there is no evidence they have every PAID $600k+.

You have thrown another claim out as a fact with no proof much less this phantom database.

Why is that?

Now you don’t know enough about ETSU athletics? Jeez put down the shovel.

That beeping you hear isn’t a dump truck.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:14 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
ncman071 wrote:
Agree. There is not much fan support for basketball, or the basketball program .Recruits see it on TV and then again if we can get them on campus.Frankly I think the team has outperformed it's fan support the past several years. I have had season tickets for decades even though it's a five hour round trip , but would be happy to go to a $10 festival seating ,$5 for kids arrangement if it would bring people out.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:16 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:08 pm

You have thrown another claim out as a fact with no proof much less this phantom database.

Why is that?

Their contract states 600k. That means they were on the hook to pay him 600k -- which means they have the ability to pay that much. Talk about moving goal posts. Every coach that is ever bought out also doesn't complete their contract.

The database is not phantom. It's public knowledge. ETSU is a state supported school.

I don't know much about ETSU. I do know how to research though. Again, not difficult. I also know Kern's won't be going to ETSU without a 50% raise. I don't know how much they will offer other candidates.
tAPPedInSports.net

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:21 pm

They just paid their coach of 2 years 400k to go away. They have the money. And on verge of a new arena.
Last edited by Tru2ASU on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:27 pm

Both ETSU and Wofford have shown the ability to win championships .I have seen ETSU basketball fan support dwarf ours back in the SOCON days , Wofford was comparable to ours.I don't know their finances but if they can pay a premium mid major salary and propel a coach to ACC level money -which they have done recently -I am taking their call and listening to what they have to say.Again I have no reason to think DK is out applying for every or any opening ,but you have to evaluate opportunities as they arise.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:31 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:16 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:08 pm

Why is that?

Their contract states 600k. That means they were on the hook to pay him 600k -- which means they have the ability to pay that much. Talk about moving goal posts. Every coach that is ever bought out also doesn't complete their contract.

The database is not phantom. It's public knowledge. ETSU is a state supported school.

I don't know much about ETSU. I do know how to research though. Again, not difficult. I also know Kern's won't be going to ETSU without a 50% raise. I don't know how much they will offer other candidates.
Appears his base was $400,000 with an annual retention bonus of $200,000. One would assume that he might have gotten that one year but nonetheless they were willing to essentially pay $600,000. I'm sure that was the result of all the attention he was attracting. Not likely to offer that to someone like Kerns unless he produced similar results.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/225 ... -extension
Last edited by hapapp on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”