Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ETSU fires Coach

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: ETSU fires Coach

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:10 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:01 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:06 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:52 am
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:38 pm
I think DK has a "higher ceiling" than our program does .The "support" is just not there .
So is it fair to interpret your statement to mean that regardless of who we bring in, with current support, we are stuck as a .500 program? How did Buzz pull it off then? You are saying Kerns could do better but not here. I am scratching my head a bit thinking about the implications of your statement. Not necessarily saying you are wrong but, if so, we are screwed.
I know people don't like to hear it but I will continue to beat this drum...APPSTATE sports should embrace HIckory for our weekday games. Basketball included. If we can't sell more tickets and get support for our team in Boone we should explore the Hickory connection. I think it would be very smart of AppState to embrace Hickory with open arms. We need their money and their pull. The area between Boone and Hickory is going to continue to grow. 1 hour drive to Hickory from a large swath of population in NC...2 hours to Boone.
Where the heck would we play a home basketball game in Hickory?
Would that be fair to the students?
I would absolutely hate that for the students and student athletes. Imagine trying to sell a recruit on "Hey, we have to drive 1 hour to Lenoir Rhyne's arena to play a mid-week game and then an hour back home." I hope we don't move any sports to Hickory.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:11 pm

appfanjj wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I think DK has a "higher ceiling" than our program does .The "support" is just not there .
So is it fair to interpret your statement to mean that regardless of who we bring in, with current support, we are stuck as a .500 program? How did Buzz pull it off then? You are saying Kerns could do better but not here. I am scratching my head a bit thinking about the implications of your statement. Not necessarily saying you are wrong but, if so, we are screwed.
I know people don't like to hear it but I will continue to beat this drum...APPSTATE sports should embrace HIckory for our weekday games. Basketball included. If we can't sell more tickets and get support for our team in Boone we should explore the Hickory connection. I think it would be very smart of AppState to embrace Hickory with open arms. We need their money and their pull. The area between Boone and Hickory is going to continue to grow. 1 hour drive to Hickory from a large swath of population in NC...2 hours to Boone.
Before anyone says LR, Caldwell or CVCC as a possibility, don't expect anything at all like that to happen.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:45 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
That is an interesting perspective.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:13 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I could be wrong , but it is my opinion that in the NIL/TP world [with which Buzzy did not have to compete in] the level of support for basketball that exists today at App precludes much better.We could do much worse -and have. Perhaps we catch lightening in a bottle once every ten years .Perhaps we don't .I really don't think people care . They can say that they do but money talks .Among the people on this thread how many are season ticket holders? I have a 5 hour round trip but I buy them every year because the money goes to offset the cost of fielding the program. I attend when I can and give the rest away.How many attend the basketball fundraisers? Anyone? I doubt it.Our conference peers are selling season tickets and leveraging NIL .At the top of the League players are getting between $50-$100k , at least that was the scuttle butt in Pensacola.Can we do that ? I know we aren't . Bottomline:Now more than ever you get what you pay for.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:29 pm

Hickory will be purely academic. Using DII or community college facilities an hour away would just be silly and a terrible decision. If baseball wants to do a few games at the Crawdads then sure. So let's just go ahead and stop with the ideas of playing in hickory.

The academics should be a great success. It's probably as close to the CLT footprint as the BOE would ever allow us to get.

I don't buy the support issues for our bball coaches. We have enough to be better than we have been the last ten years. We aren't throwing millions around but our arena and facilities are quality buildings. UNCA has had 5 NCAA tourney appearances in the 2000's. Even though they don't have football you can't tell me that we can't/don't support our program as much as they do. As I've said before, our students need to care before anything else. When we get 2-3k students most nights then our culture can begin it's turn around. We've had winning teams in the past 20 years and the students still didn't show so it's more than just winning.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:50 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:29 pm
Hickory will be purely academic. Using DII or community college facilities an hour away would just be silly and a terrible decision. If baseball wants to do a few games at the Crawdads then sure. So let's just go ahead and stop with the ideas of playing in hickory.

The academics should be a great success. It's probably as close to the CLT footprint as the BOE would ever allow us to get.

I don't buy the support issues for our bball coaches. We have enough to be better than we have been the last ten years. We aren't throwing millions around but our arena and facilities are quality buildings. UNCA has had 5 NCAA tourney appearances in the 2000's. Even though they don't have football you can't tell me that we can't/don't support our program as much as they do. As I've said before, our students need to care before anything else. When we get 2-3k students most nights then our culture can begin it's turn around. We've had winning teams in the past 20 years and the students still didn't show so it's more than just winning.

Initially, yes. However, with talks of expansion already in Hickory, by building and or buying, it could be very feasible. And, let's face it, property is a lot easier to come by off the mountain.

That's why outdoor volleyball would make a lot of sense. Could be played in Hickory, one of college's fastest growing sports, just started in the Sun Belt, and colleges off the mountain in and around Hickory already have it, so the access to players would come a little easier. So, if you're talking about one sport, what else is a possibility? Soccer, on a collegiate level, would make a lot of sense in that area.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:25 am

Just my personal opinion...I think all of our "home" games should be played at home (in Boone). There may be exceptions such as playing ECU in Charlotte for special occasions, etc. or playing occasional games in Hickory for baseball and even softball if we think it would draw interest. I do not see our students driving an hour during the week or on weekends for games in Hickory. For men's and women's bball, we evidently could not get them to walk across campus. NC State has an off campus bball arena and struggles with fan and student attendance for OOC games and the arena is in Raleigh.
In the event of crazy weather for baseball and softball, it would be nice to have a backup plan for game days so things could be moved to Hickory so games are not cancelled. I believe softball game against Va. Tech was cancelled due to weather..I assume, given out of conference game, it would not be made up. I would rather not see games cancelled that is for sure.
On a side note, appreciate Va. Tech scheduling a game in Boone...not many P5s seem to be open to that.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:33 am

I don't think anyone would expect students to travel from Boone to Hickory. However, if you're talking about 5,000 future students in Hickory, with future buildings planned/ being investigated/on the way, specific sports at App State HKY is not that far off.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:10 am

Our main campus is in Boone, that is where all our full time sports fields should be. Some baseball/ softball games in Hickory in early season makes sense, but not for the entire season. Boone is where we should play.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:48 pm

We will play some games and perhaps host some tournaments in Hickory.Don't be surprised down the road when the Sunbelt lands at Rock Barn.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:48 pm
We will play some games and perhaps host some tournaments in Hickory.Don't be surprised down the road when the Sunbelt lands at Rock Barn.
Rock Barn makes sense. They can host an event like a conference tournament.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Another benefit of Hickory Campus .Opens up those possibilities.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:11 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I’m not sure one has to do with the other in this case.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:22 pm

Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I believe the owner of Rock Barn has more to do with it than anything

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:12 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:22 pm
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
What, what Rock Barn are we talking about? The only Rock Barn I know about is in Conover and the only tournaments would be tennis and golf. What'd the owner do?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:21 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:12 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:22 pm
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
What, what Rock Barn are we talking about? The only Rock Barn I know about is in Conover and the only tournaments would be tennis and golf. What'd the owner do?
I interpreted the original post to be hosting the SBC golf tournament.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:25 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:10 pm
appfanjj wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I would absolutely hate that for the students and student athletes. Imagine trying to sell a recruit on "Hey, we have to drive 1 hour to Lenoir Rhyne's arena to play a mid-week game and then an hour back home." I hope we don't move any sports to Hickory.
I would hate that for our students as well. All 150 of them that can be troubled to shiw up for a game.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:53 pm

I know Don , have for decades , and the family .Interest in all things App/Hickory is to say the least , stronger now because of the new campus.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:15 pm

“New age of NCAA sports. Not many care of violations as long as you win.”

If Larry Eustachy and Rick Pitino can get a job, this statement is true.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:37 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:15 pm
“New age of NCAA sports. Not many care of violations as long as you win.”

If Larry Eustachy and Rick Pitino can get a job, this statement is true.
Beard, Will Wade… just to name a couple. I mean, the Bama story is telling enough. The list goes on. Not many care anymore, just want to win.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”