Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SDSU Headed to Pac 12?

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

SDSU Headed to Pac 12?

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:19 pm

appsfan

Re: SDSU Headed to Pac 12?

Unread post by appsfan » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:29 pm

Will the 4 Corners schools stay in the Pac 12 or head to the Big 12? Will the Huskies & Ducks join UCLA/USC in the Big 10? Things are beginning to look interesting.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:10 pm

We all would like App to join a "Power 5" conference and seeing this headline I'm sure makes some people jealous that SDSU might get there first...but do we all think the Pac-12 will actually be that great in a few years? Remember that USC and UCLA are leaving for the BIG10...and the Pac-12 is really struggling to sign a TV deal. The lastest articles on...GOOGLE...read that an agreement is not really that close. I do not think the grass is that greener there.

And honestly I really like what we have in the Sun Belt. Regionally based competition against peer institutions with a deal with ESPN. We've got brand/name recognition in the NCAA FB space and the best/worst scheduling complex you could as for....many schools aren't brave enough to schedule us. The grass is pretty green here.

The ACC might get their act together and figure out the Grant of Rights thing and realize they need to expand to survive and come courting. Until that time I'm going to pretty happy with what we've go so long as the rest of the Sun Belt keeps up and we can schedule appealing, regionally based non-conference match ups.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:30 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:10 pm
We all would like App to join a "Power 5" conference and seeing this headline I'm sure makes some people jealous that SDSU might get there first...but do we all think the Pac-12 will actually be that great in a few years? Remember that USC and UCLA are leaving for the BIG10...and the Pac-12 is really struggling to sign a TV deal. The lastest articles on...GOOGLE...read that an agreement is not really that close. I do not think the grass is that greener there.

And honestly I really like what we have in the Sun Belt. Regionally based competition against peer institutions with a deal with ESPN. We've got brand/name recognition in the NCAA FB space and the best/worst scheduling complex you could as for....many schools aren't brave enough to schedule us. The grass is pretty green here.

The ACC might get their act together and figure out the Grant of Rights thing and realize they need to expand to survive and come courting. Until that time I'm going to pretty happy with what we've go so long as the rest of the Sun Belt keeps up and we can schedule appealing, regionally based non-conference match ups.
With 16 teams, not sure they are in need of expansion. And, if they are, I wouldn't think we would be at the top of their list. Frankly, not sure what we would offer them that would make expansion worth their while. Outside of football (traditionally) and wrestling, we don't offer any programs that would add any stature to the conference. Schools like JMU and ODU, from an athletic program standpoint, have much more to offer than we do. We certainly don’t fit the academic profile of the ACC.
Last edited by hapapp on Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:53 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:30 pm
kornegaylw wrote:

With 16 teams, not sure they are in need of expansion. And, if they are, I wouldn't think we would be at the top of their list. Frankly, not sure what we would offer them that would make expansion worth their while. Outside of football (traditionally) and wrestling, we don't offer any programs that would add any stature to the conference. Schools like JMU and ODU, from an athletic program standpoint, have much more to offer than we do. We certainly do fit the academic profile of the ACC.
You, sir, are applying rational and logical thinking to a situation that clearly is not rational or logical...

Also there are 14 teams in the ACC and Notre Dam...who would jump ship in a heart beat if given a better oppurtunity.

The SEC will have 16 teams. The BIG10 will have 14 and will look to add 2 more...and UNC, UVA or Duke will be on their list and they would absolutely consider it.

Which is why the ACC will need to add teams in the future...The ACC thinks highly of itself and JMU and ODU would not pass the snif test.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:58 pm

I believe the potential is for Oregon and Washington etc to go to Bug 12 or teams from big 12 going to PAC 10..to keep TV contracts at decent amount, they both need teams to remain relevant.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:06 pm

We aren't exactly dominating the Sunbelt .I hope we can increase our competitiveness where we are ,and are likely to be for any foreseeable future.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:31 pm

Unrelated to expansion talks, but I would've liked to do a football H&H with San Diego State. Quality brand and program that I think fans would be interested to see, both teams frequently among the best in G5, and a great road trip for App fans.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:38 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:31 pm
Unrelated to expansion talks, but I would've liked to do a football H&H with San Diego State. Quality brand and program that I think fans would be interested to see, both teams frequently among the best in G5, and a great road trip for App fans.
I've been in Southern California since I graduated in '14. The closest App has gotten/will get is when they played NMSU. The next closest is the game at Wyoming this upcoming season. An App game at San Diego State would be an instant sell-out among all the alumni on this coast.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:43 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:53 pm
hapapp wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:30 pm
kornegaylw wrote:

With 16 teams, not sure they are in need of expansion. And, if they are, I wouldn't think we would be at the top of their list. Frankly, not sure what we would offer them that would make expansion worth their while. Outside of football (traditionally) and wrestling, we don't offer any programs that would add any stature to the conference. Schools like JMU and ODU, from an athletic program standpoint, have much more to offer than we do. We certainly do fit the academic profile of the ACC.
You, sir, are applying rational and logical thinking to a situation that clearly is not rational or logical...

Also there are 14 teams in the ACC and Notre Dam...who would jump ship in a heart beat if given a better oppurtunity.

The SEC will have 16 teams. The BIG10 will have 14 and will look to add 2 more...and UNC, UVA or Duke will be on their list and they would absolutely consider it.

Which is why the ACC will need to add teams in the future...The ACC thinks highly of itself and JMU and ODU would not pass the snif test.
If those two wouldn’t get a sniff we certainly wouldn’t. I don’t see the ACC taking a non-doctoral institution.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:58 pm

VNova wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:38 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:31 pm
I've been in Southern California since I graduated in '14. The closest App has gotten/will get is when they played NMSU. The next closest is the game at Wyoming this upcoming season. An App game at San Diego State would be an instant sell-out among all the alumni on this coast.
I love San Diego. We've visited twice, and have some family out there at the moment (my cousin's husband is a doctor in the Navy, so they move around). Definitely want to get back soon, if the flight prices ever come down a bit.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:19 pm

When I lived in LAX, we traveled to various cities. My favorites
San Luis Obispo
Monterey
San Diego
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:46 pm

Not sure I'd want to join the ACC...
It's a garbage football conference that's doing its level best to become a garbage basketball conference.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:46 pm
Not sure I'd want to join the ACC...
It's a garbage football conference that's doing its level best to become a garbage basketball conference.
Cmon now. If the ACC comes knocking we will drop the sun belt like a bad habit.

Even an ACC without say, Clemson, Duke, UNC and Notre Dame means we play:

NC State
Miami
Florida State
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Virginia
Ga Tech
Syracuse
Boston College
Pitt
Louisville

Sign me up.

That said, we ain’t getting invited to the ACC. No way in hell.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”