Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia or TCU?

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia or TCU?

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:18 pm

Somewhat off topic, but have you guys heard the audio of Kirby’s pregame speech to his team? :shock: :shock:

After hearing that, I now understand why we all witnessed that blood bath last night.

GO APPS!!
Last edited by appstate24 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:34 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:18 pm
Somewhat odd topic, but have you guys heard the audio of Kirby’s pregame speech to his team? :shock: :shock:

After hearing that, I now understand why we all witnessed that blood bath last night.

GO APPS!!
I made the mistake of listening to it before bed last night. Couldn’t sleep for hours after hearing it, wanted to run thru a WALL. that man has figured it out.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:42 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pm
As I was watching this game, I had a range of thoughts.
#1 - What is the point of expansion if it is always 2 or 3 elite teams? More revenue is often times the answer in this sport.
#2 - Does a program like App deserve to be competing against a program like UGA? We all love App and believe we can compete with anyone, but we are no where close to competing with UGA, Bama, OSU (see #4).
#3 - App would certainly lose to UGA but would we lose 65-7?? I don't think so. Maybe 45 - 10, but not by almost 60 points.
#4 - There is a clear top tier in college football that consists of 3 teams annually. We can punch above our weight class but our arms may never be long enough to reach the top tier.

If we ever want to compete with the top tier, we need substantial support from our successful alumni, state legislature and community. I don't know how much more the town of Boone can help App so that leaves our alumni and state legislature.
My honest opinion, we lose to Georgia by as much or more than TCU. Probably 70+ point loss.

This wasn’t some September 12th noon kickoff in Athens where Georgia is practicing different schemes and brings in their backups at the half.

This was the National Championship and a 14-0 football team from the SEC. Kirby didn’t call off the dogs until midway through the 4th because he wanted to leave no chance of a comeback. And the guys that got in wanted their National Championship moment as well.

I love all things App but I think we need to be aware of where we exist in the pecking order.
YNWA

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:44 pm

Could be some Dawgs hitting the portal for more PT. Man that would be cool to land a great culture fit at app like a CB7 again (big P5 player looking to play for tradition winning program)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:02 pm

First, there is no question that UGA are the best team in college football. If they played TCU ten times, they likely beat them ten times. However, they were a makeable (though long) FG from overtime the week before against a team Michigan crushed. If they played TCU ten times, its likely the only time they win 65-7. Clearly, UGA was firing on all cylinders and it just snowballed on TCU. Not sure UGA could play any better and certainly TCU is better than they showed. And while most years the familiar names will dominate, TCU proved that its not impossible for someone who was picked 7th in their league to make it. What will be interesting is when the CFP expands to 12 and it becomes a bit more difficult to make it to the championship game.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:06 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:34 pm
appstate24 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:18 pm
Somewhat odd topic, but have you guys heard the audio of Kirby’s pregame speech to his team? :shock: :shock:

GO APPS!!
I made the mistake of listening to it before bed last night. Couldn’t sleep for hours after hearing it, wanted to run thru a WALL. that man has figured it out.
This illustrates my point that Kirby has done the things to build this team and knows how to squeeze the most out of them. Hopefully SC becomes our Kirby. Kirby didn’t get there overnight.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:00 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pm
As I was watching this game, I had a range of thoughts.
#1 - What is the point of expansion if it is always 2 or 3 elite teams? More revenue is often times the answer in this sport.
#2 - Does a program like App deserve to be competing against a program like UGA? We all love App and believe we can compete with anyone, but we are no where close to competing with UGA, Bama, OSU (see #4).
#3 - App would certainly lose to UGA but would we lose 65-7?? I don't think so. Maybe 45 - 10, but not by almost 60 points.
#4 - There is a clear top tier in college football that consists of 3 teams annually. We can punch above our weight class but our arms may never be long enough to reach the top tier.

If we ever want to compete with the top tier, we need substantial support from our successful alumni, state legislature and community. I don't know how much more the town of Boone can help App so that leaves our alumni and state legislature.
#1- While the Final Four/Champs may be the same few teams every year, an expanded playoff will bring more excitement, more exposure for teams, more chances for upsets, and more players sticking around to play the game instead of opting out.
#2- Every team deserves a shot at the title. Doesn't matter if Georgia is a million times better than App. In every other college sport, at the beginning of the season, every team has an opportunity to win the championship... except football.
#3- I don't think App would lose as badly just because they don't run a hurry-up, air raid offense. App would've used up more time, which wouldn't have allowed Georgia to score as much.
#4- yeah.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:07 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:05 am
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:25 am
Best players , and coaches money can buy.
Funny thing is, the Offensive MVP, Defensive MVP and McConkey, were walk ons and 3*. Kirby just knows how to put his players in the best position to succeed and how to develop talent. This UGA team is really really young and still got it done, they had freshman making play after play. I like to think of App as a mini Uga. We're both built off tradition, culture and can develop players. Built on ground and pound, win in the trenches and then out athlete you to death at skill positions. We will get back to consistent winning soon. We've got our manager, now just have to find the right position and coordinator coaches to coach them up.
I get what you're saying about the 3* excelling, but when surrounded by 4 and 5* talent, a few 3* can accomplish much more than if they were playing with a roster consisting of 2 and 3* talent.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:42 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhoryziN4iI

We get a mention at the end. And then a fitting tribute to the Pirate.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”