Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WVU/Neal Brown But real indictment of transfer portal

WVAPPeer
School: Other

WVU/Neal Brown But real indictment of transfer portal

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:00 pm

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: WVU/Neal Brown But real indictment of transfer portal

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:31 pm

Ok, I will take the bait.

My thoughts on portal and college sports in general.

There is a lack of loyalty. I don't like how the portal and NIL is taking shape so I am old school. I have said it before, like it or not, this is the world we live in so we have to learn to survive. All the schools, coaches and players are trying to adapt to this new model.

I do think after a few years there will be some settling down. Players will learn that they better know what they are doing by entering the portal because they are cashing out their scholarship as soon as they go into that black hole and it may be gone forever. For some it works and others it doesn't, so word will get around and I think some balancing will occur. Scholarships have never been a 4 yr guarantee but most coaches/schools did right by the athletes that did their job, like everything some exceptions. I don't think that changes drastically but there may be some adjustments. You will then have a couple of camps, the ones that want a good school/program to go to and stay with and the second that are all in it for themselves. That will never change. Coaches will learn to adapt or lose their jobs. The good thing is everybody is dealing with the same thing. Still the haves will get preferential treatment and the have nots will have to do with less.

NIL - I don't like at all but it really is legalizing and bringing out in public what has been happening in the dark for decades and probably selectively enforced. The difference here is it will become more widespread than when it was "illegal". Again, the haves and have not programs with be the divide but I don't think most coaches will be able to do much different than due to this rule.

IMO, much of the loyalty issue is almost a reflection of our society in general. That is probably why our coaches still try to vet out players for their character as a key criteria for offering. This is no different than a company that hires good people vs ones that hire folks with little scrupples.

Bottomline, we have to adapt to survive and time will help balance this process.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:56 pm

All you really need to know about this take is in the cliche headline. The author thinks of college athletes as "inmates," so naturally it upsets him that they have any sort of agency now.

IMO, the portal in and of itself is fine. The portal combined with completely unregulated NIL is the problem.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:12 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:56 pm
All you really need to know about this take is in the cliche headline. The author thinks of college athletes as "inmates," so naturally it upsets him that they have any sort of agency now.

IMO, the portal in and of itself is fine. The portal combined with completely unregulated NIL is the problem.
I think that's a stretch. It is metaphor and not meant to be taken literally. I also don't have a huge problem with the portal. I think there needs to be a change in recruiting terminology as there is no more "commitment" involved. I'm not sure what's is actually signed on "singing day," but that doesn't mean much anymore either.
WE ARE YOSEF!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:26 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:12 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

I think that's a stretch. It is metaphor and not meant to be taken literally. I also don't have a huge problem with the portal. I think there needs to be a change in recruiting terminology as there is no more "commitment" involved. I'm not sure what's is actually signed on "singing day," but that doesn't mean much anymore either.
I realize it's not literal, but I think the connotation is still negative and telling.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:15 pm

EastHallApp wrote:

So...you don't want them to be "inmates" but you want to control their name and likeness.

I think we will shake out fine because at our level the education should matter to most. I hope we uphold our commitment (Scholarship) to those that are giving it their all.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:17 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:15 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

So...you don't want them to be "inmates" but you want to control their name and likeness.

I think we will shake out fine because at our level the education should matter to most. I hope we uphold our commitment (Scholarship) to those that are giving it their all.
No, that is in fact not what I said.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:26 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:17 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Sorry...Easthallapp. I misunderstood your thoughts.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:31 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:26 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:17 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Sorry...Easthallapp. I misunderstood your thoughts.
No problem. I was and am all in favor of NIL. Players should be able to get paid for video games, jersey sales, endorsements, camps, you name it.

"Unregulated" is the key word there.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:32 pm

I agree with some who think the Portal and NIL won't be a huge detriment to App - the top level P5s are going to be battling this for some time and the lower P5s are going to be trying to hold on to their best players for some time as well. We know several of the mid-level teams (i.e. The U) are using this to jettison those who were recruited by earlier coaches. There absolutely is a resounding need for controls on the Portal
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:43 pm

I am going to take a stab at how I see it...let me know where I am wrong or you agree/disagree.

NIL
I am going to use Peoples as an example number 6 for the AppState Mountaineers.

His name and likeness should be.

"Hi I am Cam Peoples and you should buy a car from crazy Eddie's used cars" - Car dealer pays Cam.

"Hi I am Cam Peoples running back for Appalachian State University and you should buy a car from crazy Eddie's Used Cars" - Car dealer pays Cam and AppState and must have AppState's approval for use of AppState name.

"Hi I am Cam Peoples number 6 on the football team and you should buy a car from crazy Eddie's used cars" This one is the one that I think is a court room battle. (I think Cam gets paid and not AppState)

If he wears an Appstate uniform in any of the commercials, AppState needs to get paid and crazy Eddie needs to get permission from AppState!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:38 pm

Crazy Eddie should just give Cam a Cadillac Escalade and let him drive it.

BTW I thought Crazy Eddie sold fireworks on SC state line.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:02 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:31 pm
Ok, I will take the bait.

My thoughts on portal and college sports in general.

There is a lack of loyalty. I don't like how the portal and NIL is taking shape so I am old school. I have said it before, like it or not, this is the world we live in so we have to learn to survive. All the schools, coaches and players are trying to adapt to this new model.

I do think after a few years there will be some settling down. Players will learn that they better know what they are doing by entering the portal because they are cashing out their scholarship as soon as they go into that black hole and it may be gone forever. For some it works and others it doesn't, so word will get around and I think some balancing will occur. Scholarships have never been a 4 yr guarantee but most coaches/schools did right by the athletes that did their job, like everything some exceptions. I don't think that changes drastically but there may be some adjustments. You will then have a couple of camps, the ones that want a good school/program to go to and stay with and the second that are all in it for themselves. That will never change. Coaches will learn to adapt or lose their jobs. The good thing is everybody is dealing with the same thing. Still the haves will get preferential treatment and the have nots will have to do with less.

NIL - I don't like at all but it really is legalizing and bringing out in public what has been happening in the dark for decades and probably selectively enforced. The difference here is it will become more widespread than when it was "illegal". Again, the haves and have not programs with be the divide but I don't think most coaches will be able to do much different than due to this rule.

IMO, much of the loyalty issue is almost a reflection of our society in general. That is probably why our coaches still try to vet out players for their character as a key criteria for offering. This is no different than a company that hires good people vs ones that hire folks with little scrupples.

Bottomline, we have to adapt to survive and time will help balance this process.
I agree with you except I don't expect this stuff to truly settle down. The top tier players will always believe they can get better NIL and schools will always push players out of the door that aren't contributing. I think the portal numbers may drop slightly but not a ton. It could get worse for a while in 3 years when all the COVID players are gone and there will be more openings. One reason I say this is because you would think that when the CBA changed and players saw that many early entries don't even get drafted the numbers did not fall back closer to prior early entry years. We are still seeing over 100 players declare every year. No player thinks the worst case will happen to them.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:04 pm

Just for reference WVU had lost 53 players to the portal thru the end of 2021 - so far, as best I can count, they have lost 27 in 2022. How can a program survive with this kind of loss? - Now, not all were starters or contributors but there is no way to build experience and depth when so many leave - They have gained a few "players" from the portal and most thought JT Daniels would be the man but he lost his job late in season and has entered the portal again --- Very sad for programs like WVU who rely on building depth to have a solid team every 3-4 years ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”