Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

10 FCS teams looking to move to FBS

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

10 FCS teams looking to move to FBS

Unread post by ASUTodd » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:52 pm

Yosef84

Re: 10 FCS teams looking to move to FBS

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:24 pm

Wow. I only see a couple of those teams that really have any business talking about FBS and those are a stretch. Maybe I don't know enough about some of the others, but they certainly haven't been dominant at the FCS level.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:31 pm

This smacks of desperation. (Sort of) average FCS teams looking to get into the party before the door shuts.
Except who knows what this party will look like in the future?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:32 pm

It's all about the money. They are hoping for a better TV offer. When the top of P5 breaks away again, they will get left behind again. This is just an almost desperate money grab.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:53 pm

appdaze wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:32 pm
It's all about the money. They are hoping for a better TV offer. When the top of P5 breaks away again, they will get left behind again. This is just an almost desperate money grab.
Basically what we did. If the SBC isn't plotting the next move, I hope we are.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:00 pm

wb247 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:53 pm
appdaze wrote:
Basically, what we did. If the SBC isn't plotting the next move, I hope we are.
It looks like it is time to expand the college football playoff to 32 teams so everyone can get a piece of the pie. 22 automatic bids for each division champ and 8 at large births for Notre Dame.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:34 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:00 pm
wb247 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:53 pm
appdaze wrote:
Basically, what we did. If the SBC isn't plotting the next move, I hope we are.
It looks like it is time to expand the college football playoff to 32 teams so everyone can get a piece of the pie. 22 automatic bids for each division champ and 8 at large births for Notre Dame.
I think more like a group of the top tier are going to break away from the rest. We can’t have 32 teams. How would that work in terms of logistics? You see how late the 12 team playoff is going to be? The only way we could expand to 32 is get rid of most of the bowls and playoff would have to start the first week of December. I really don’t want 32 teams. I hope the top 50 teams break away and somehow we are among that next group they pull with them.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:31 am

At some point all of this playoff madness gets ridiculous. Since they "expanded " to just 4 teams there have been numerous blowouts. I get the argument that despite the very real probability of even more lopsided playoff games teams still deserve the chance. We all recall many blowout early round FCS playoff games but those were still pretty cool times mostly due to the win and advance aspect. Back when we were part of that at least there wasn't 12 regular season games plus a CCG THEN up to 4 playoff/championship games. I think we still typically played 11 regular season games but I could be wrong.

At any rate going to 16 or even 32 teams seems way too much. Now with guys transferring and sitting out what will happen if there are expanded playoffs? Will we see the top guys sitting it out because they don't want to play possibly 3-4 more games and risk injury? Would the thought of being in a playoff really matter to some players who want to transfer? Imagine if the backup QB for a big school enters the portal and isn't available for the playoffs then the starter goes down. Way too many variables for this to be viable.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:35 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:31 am
At some point all of this playoff madness gets ridiculous. Since they "expanded " to just 4 teams there have been numerous blowouts. I get the argument that despite the very real probability of even more lopsided playoff games teams still deserve the chance. We all recall many blowout early round FCS playoff games but those were still pretty cool times mostly due to the win and advance aspect. Back when we were part of that at least there wasn't 12 regular season games plus a CCG THEN up to 4 playoff/championship games. I think we still typically played 11 regular season games but I could be wrong.

At any rate going to 16 or even 32 teams seems way too much. Now with guys transferring and sitting out what will happen if there are expanded playoffs? Will we see the top guys sitting it out because they don't want to play possibly 3-4 more games and risk injury? Would the thought of being in a playoff really matter to some players who want to transfer? Imagine if the backup QB for a big school enters the portal and isn't available for the playoffs then the starter goes down. Way too many variables for this to be viable.
I think it’s kind of hilarious how many questions are being raised and unanswered because the NCAA was completely unprepared to have their power checked.

I’m not sure you’d see guys sitting out playoff games because there is still a championship on the line. A bowl game is literally an exhibition game that doesn’t really matter. If players sit out playoff games we’d start getting to the point of asking “why play the games at all?” Just watch HS film and decide if they have NFL talent.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:32 am

I wasn’t around for the 1-A split, but sure feels like that’s about to happen again.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:31 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:32 am
I wasn’t around for the 1-A split, but sure feels like that’s about to happen again.
It still baffles me how there can be 131 schools all classified equally but then unofficially classified separately with G and P. Basketball has mid major but in the post season all are equal.

spong

Unread post by spong » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:38 pm

Random thoughts:

Conference USA is currently a mess. I don't think this is a good climate for a new "big boy" conference.

Maybe UMass and UConn will finally find a conference for football.

I'm interested in seeing NC A&T's name gets brought up. They are an interesting program. HBCU with some recent success. Their football games draw well. They have "moved up" conferences twice in a short time. Some of their boosters want to move up to FBS.

Honestly, I would be okay with NC A&T being in the Sun Belt.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:00 pm

After all the drama around Coach Prime abandoning an HBCU and bolting for Boulder, there's a lot of sensitivity around the subject right now.

Regardless, I think NC A&T would immediately be the class of the SunWAC, Western Atlantic, AtlanticSWAC, Team American Freedom or whatever conference name they're paying overpriced consultants to create.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:15 pm

spong wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:38 pm
Random thoughts:

Conference USA is currently a mess. I don't think this is a good climate for a new "big boy" conference.

Maybe UMass and UConn will finally find a conference for football.

I'm interested in seeing NC A&T's name gets brought up. They are an interesting program. HBCU with some recent success. Their football games draw well. They have "moved up" conferences twice in a short time. Some of their boosters want to move up to FBS.

Honestly, I would be okay with NC A&T being in the Sun Belt.
They are okay but there really isn’t anyone in FCS who could make our league better right now except for those Dakota teams. I don’t think A&T is quite at FBS level yet. I know they want to move up and so does Campbell so I’m sure both have tried, or will try, to talk to our officials.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:26 pm

NC A&T is probably more FBS worthy than most of the schools in that article. They've had some very good teams in recent years but they haven't exactly dominated since leaving the MEAC. What they do have is tradition and tons of fan support, so they would contribute just about anywhere they go.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:51 am

Who exactly came up with FCS and what was the criteria for schools to either drop down to that level or I guess move up to for some. There have been levels of college athletics which have come and gone much like conferences- NAIA for example. I know when we were FCS it was termed Division 1 sub-division. It's beginning to look like an official divide is not to far off.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:09 pm

That is hardly a murderers row of FCS teams in that article. When the lesser haves are looking to move, really makes me wonder what the NDSU and Montanas are doing. Are they really just going to keep sitting idly by while the entire division tries to move up? I really don't fault any school for wanting to move up but at least put the resources in to show that you are serious before the move. Don't just grab a bunch of other unprepared schools and all agree to move together. That conference would be awful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”