Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Prime Colorado

Yosefus
School: Appalachian State

Coach Prime Colorado

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:02 pm

Has anyone had time to watch his press conference introduction with the players?
Was very interesting. Heck he had me believing by the end. He was brutally honest with them though. The ones that don't stick will miss something special. Those that do will be tough as nails. Just a guess but he may be very successful. He is all in that's for sure.

Cro-Magnon App

Re: Coach Prime Colorado

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:14 pm

But can he coach?

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:18 pm

He did pretty well at Jackson State. I think he can coach.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:58 pm

I had commented on another thread that I liked what he said in his press conference about making the players be respectful and to say yes sir and yes mam.

On the flip side a whole bunch of the stuff he said to his players (failed to see the need to video and release it publicly) was over the top. He pretty much said the team is garbage and an embarrassment. After saying "I'm coming " for the 100th time I tuned out. Unless he watched their games (maybe he did) he doesn't really know exactly what happened there this year. I'll be curious to see how his FCS bad ass players will do moving up a rung on the football ladder. Hope he does well but that pulpit talk only goes so far.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:22 pm

i did not a chance to listen but it seems i heard a short preview/lead in on the radio about pushback for leaving an HBCU. likely on wfdd and not a part of the regular NPR news
Last edited by McLeansvilleAppFan on Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:24 pm

App basketball during the Capel years was garbage.

Colorado football last year was garbage.

People are offended by reality sometimes.

IM4ASU

Unread post by IM4ASU » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:34 pm

I thought he was all in on HBCU's and how they have been shafted in the past. I wonder what is going to happen to all of those high profile players he talked into signing with Jackson State. It's probably just me but I feel he's a little hypocritical.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:00 pm

He was transparent. He told the players in that room things that most coaches think, but don't care enough to say out loud. Told them if you don't like how I do things or aren't into competition for a starting job there is the door to the portal. Any player that can't respect that and expects to just have their hand held and be told everything will be ok, doesn't deserve to play for a winning team.

No need to sugar coat anything to a team that just went 1-11 and most of those 11 Ls were completely ass whoppings.

He sat down and told the entire Jackson State team that the rumors were true and that he would be leaving. Most coaches just leave without even saying a word and let the A.D. tell the players. He's planning to coach Jackson State in their bowl game to finish what he started with a group of players he loves. Almost never hear that happening in today's CFB world, and as a FCS to FBS transition coach, he'd benefit the most by saying a complete peace out to Jackson State and starting the recruiting.

He's taking on a 1-11 team, at a program that within the past close to 20 years has had 2 winning seasons, and accepting that challenge. Not taking on some winning program. He's going to have to get not only players to buy in, but also the students, alumni, and the community who have suffered watching poor football as well.

I wish him nothing but the best.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:07 pm

IM4ASU wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:34 pm
I thought he was all in on HBCU's and how they have been shafted in the past. I wonder what is going to happen to all of those high profile players he talked into signing with Jackson State. It's probably just me but I feel he's a little hypocritical.
They are coming with him to Colorado. Hence the line about bringing his guys with him and they are all dogs.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:25 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:00 pm
He was transparent. He told the players in that room things that most coaches think, but don't care enough to say out loud. Told them if you don't like how I do things or aren't into competition for a starting job there is the door to the portal. Any player that can't respect that and expects to just have their hand held and be told everything will be ok, doesn't deserve to play for a winning team.

No need to sugar coat anything to a team that just went 1-11 and most of those 11 Ls were completely ass whoppings.

He sat down and told the entire Jackson State team that the rumors were true and that he would be leaving. Most coaches just leave without even saying a word and let the A.D. tell the players. He's planning to coach Jackson State in their bowl game to finish what he started with a group of players he loves. Almost never hear that happening in today's CFB world, and as a FCS to FBS transition coach, he'd benefit the most by saying a complete peace out to Jackson State and starting the recruiting.

He's taking on a 1-11 team, at a program that within the past close to 20 years has had 2 winning seasons, and accepting that challenge. Not taking on some winning program. He's going to have to get not only players to buy in, but also the students, alumni, and the community who have suffered watching poor football as well.

I wish him nothing but the best.
Sort of a Patton-esque type speech. There will be no doubt who is in charge in Colorado win or lose.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 pm

No coach could say what he said before this year and not get in trouble.

What he said is what is being said in every locker room at every university right now.

I hope he wins fast and big and I hope there is a slew of new coaches that take after him.

Auburn is gonna regret not getting him

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:51 pm

Can he coach? The word in coaching circles is that he is a great motivator and a great recruiter but there are questions about coaching on the next level. Even if you hire good people, the head coach must know football and coaching.

Moving there at a good time with USC and UCLA moving out. Turned Jackson State around but Colorado is a different animal. Either way, “I’m coming.” I thought he was talking for the cameras sake.

I wish him well.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:46 pm

The dude has spent his entire life either playing football at a very high level or commentating or coaching football. I would say he knows the game on a very high level and he has already demonstrated that he can coach. Jackson State was a trainwreck before he got there, they are now undefeated. Hell of a turnaround in 3 years, pretty much the exact opposite of our trajectory over the past 3 years. He has the first undefeated SWAC team since 1991 and the first undefeated and untied team since 1984. This from a program that had was 4-8 prior to him taking over in the covid 2020 year when they played in the spring of 21. He went 4-3 in that spring and then in the fall of 2021 he went 11-1 in regular season and lost the bowl game so 11-2 and this year in 2022 his team is 12-0. I would say that demonstrates he knows how to coach. Heck, if our coach had accomplished that in his first 3 years our fanbase would be out of their minds happy.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:15 am

I think all sports are different in regards to judging how good a coach is. Football has so many variables with coordinators and assistants. A great football coach is probably more of a great manager of many pieces. Obviously any team with great players makes the coach look great if everything falls into place and of course if they win. Basketball has fewer pieces but I believe the head coach has more direct impact. You have assistants but do they really impact a game? If you have pitching and a reasonable amount of hitting a baseball coach can look amazing.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:00 am

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Can he coach, maybe. Can he recruit, yep. Anxious to see if his success at Jackson State was due to his coaching skills or the fact that he was able to recruit 4 star talent to play against lower rated athletes. Maybe it's a little of both. Either way everyone will know soon and it will be fun to watch.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:47 am

Have to wait and see how this shakes out over time.

It's going to be different for him being a big fish in a big pond with other big fish. I think he does appeal to certain athletes.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:20 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:47 am
Have to wait and see how this shakes out over time.

It's going to be different for him being a big fish in a big pond with other big fish. I think he does appeal to certain athletes.
What are his thoughts and comments regarding NIL? Is he going to push for more pay to play there? Can't argue his bottom line results but remains to be seen how his style translates

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:59 am

IM4ASU wrote:
Going to admit this was sort of my first reaction. Then I thought, he did more than most guys. I have been heavily involved in certain charities and then moved on. I don’t think that made me a hypocrite. I just wasn’t feeling it anymore. Maybe his “calling” at the HBC was over. I’ve decided to give him credit for what he did instead of criticizing him for what he didn’t do.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:38 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:59 am
IM4ASU wrote:
Going to admit this was sort of my first reaction. Then I thought, he did more than most guys. I have been heavily involved in certain charities and then moved on. I don’t think that made me a hypocrite. I just wasn’t feeling it anymore. Maybe his “calling” at the HBC was over. I’ve decided to give him credit for what he did instead of criticizing him for what he didn’t do.
I dunno, man. He said a LOT of stuff about how "I AM SWAC" and how he was going to lift up, not just Jackson State, but all HBCUs. I get that most coaches say "I'm here to stay" and whatnot, but this just seems extra hypocritical considering how HBCUs have been treated in the past. I don't blame him for wanting to move up, move on, or get the heck out of Jackson, MS (I've got family there, and you'd have to pay me to live in Jackson). I blame him for taking advantage of a school that has been taken advantage of too many times in the past.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:07 pm

He was upfront from the beginning, this was his first stop, he wanted a p5 job (ultimately FSU), that's it and it happened . . . nothing to see here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”