Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Prime Colorado

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Prime Colorado

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:09 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:38 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:59 am
IM4ASU wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:34 pm
I thought he was all in on HBCU's and how they have been shafted in the past. I wonder what is going to happen to all of those high profile players he talked into signing with Jackson State. It's probably just me but I feel he's a little hypocritical.
Going to admit this was sort of my first reaction. Then I thought, he did more than most guys. I have been heavily involved in certain charities and then moved on. I don’t think that made me a hypocrite. I just wasn’t feeling it anymore. Maybe his “calling” at the HBC was over. I’ve decided to give him credit for what he did instead of criticizing him for what he didn’t do.
I dunno, man. He said a LOT of stuff about how "I AM SWAC" and how he was going to lift up, not just Jackson State, but all HBCUs. I get that most coaches say "I'm here to stay" and whatnot, but this just seems extra hypocritical considering how HBCUs have been treated in the past. I don't blame him for wanting to move up, move on, or get the heck out of Jackson, MS (I've got family there, and you'd have to pay me to live in Jackson). I blame him for taking advantage of a school that has been taken advantage of too many times in the past.
I’m ok with letting us have a difference of opinion on the subject.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:53 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:38 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:59 am
IM4ASU wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:34 pm
I thought he was all in on HBCU's and how they have been shafted in the past. I wonder what is going to happen to all of those high profile players he talked into signing with Jackson State. It's probably just me but I feel he's a little hypocritical.
Going to admit this was sort of my first reaction. Then I thought, he did more than most guys. I have been heavily involved in certain charities and then moved on. I don’t think that made me a hypocrite. I just wasn’t feeling it anymore. Maybe his “calling” at the HBC was over. I’ve decided to give him credit for what he did instead of criticizing him for what he didn’t do.
I dunno, man. He said a LOT of stuff about how "I AM SWAC" and how he was going to lift up, not just Jackson State, but all HBCUs. I get that most coaches say "I'm here to stay" and whatnot, but this just seems extra hypocritical considering how HBCUs have been treated in the past. I don't blame him for wanting to move up, move on, or get the heck out of Jackson, MS (I've got family there, and you'd have to pay me to live in Jackson). I blame him for taking advantage of a school that has been taken advantage of too many times in the past.
I don't think he took advantage of their admin. They knew what he was doing. Their fans are hurt because he did lead the to believe perhaps he might stay longer but he never said he would. He can't hold their hand for the next 20 years. He left them in good shape and it is up to the admin, alumni, fans, and players to build on it. If they fall apart and ruin everything he helped them with then that is their own fault. I just find it funny how he bolted for a school where 93% of the population is causation. LOL.

I think that team will take a huge step back in terms of talent next year but they have facilities and a lot of relationships now that they should be able to at least maintain a good team and remain a SWAC contender. A lot hinges on the new coaching staff. I wonder if most of them will stay or go with Deion.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:46 pm

From what I have read, JSU used him pretty badly. He came out of his own pocket for a lot of facility improvements, team meals, etc. There were agreements that the football program would receive extra funding if certain milestones were hit and they got nothing. He was guaranteed bonuses if attendance goals were met. The goals were met, but he got nothing. I’ve never been a big Deion fan, but if half of that is true, I don’t blame him for leaving at the first opportunity.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:59 pm

One thing to remember, since the SWAC and MEAC go to the Celebration Bowl, they miss out on opportunities to really showcase their programs in the FCS playoffs. I mean FAMU was there, and they got the opportunity to be an FBS team. However, they were an independent and had to play too many money games to make it work and as a result they could not win. This is the reason for having two transition years now as well as a conference home to join before moving up. I believe A&T has those same aspirations, so they moved to the Big South and were one win away from the playoffs and their move to the CAA.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:48 am

We can disagree with various actions or statements, but he left JS better than he found it. That is one of the most measurements of success for every teammate within an organization.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:56 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:48 am
We can disagree with various actions or statements, but he left JS better than he found it. That is one of the most measurements of success for every teammate within an organization.
It didn't take much to improve the program, but he did excel. Now he's at another bottom dweller with nowhere to go but up. Heck, he may be the next Saban but what he seems to be really good at is putting himself in situations where any success will be magnified. He'll probably do ok. I'm still not a fan.
WE ARE YOSEF!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:37 am

If nothing else, he will get people excited about Colorado Football. Hopefully, he is successful. I like the Buffs back in the day.

Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:34 pm

Just want to preface saying that what I'm about to say is not in response to anyone on this thread and this is not directed at anyone or any group of people posting here. The discussion about Prime's qualifications and his previous statements about Jackson State and the SWAC are warranted. Bomani Jones, who is Black, had a great criticism of Prime this past week.

One thing Prime said to Jackson State when he left was representation matters. In a quick, rough count, I counted no more than 10 Black FBS head coaches right now for a sport where the majority of players are Black. And in my opinion, Black coaches are fired quicker than White coaches.

At a school like Colorado where there's (alleged) history of police having copies of the Colorado Football yearbook to target Black players, hires like this matters for reasons most of us as White people won't fully understand.

Prime is way more qualified for Colorado than Trent Dilfer is for UAB.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:46 pm

How many hours a day does Deion spend making Rick Flair type videos and speeches? The other coaches at that level are using that time coaching. But he’s coming. Wonder when when he is going to get there. He has been coming for almost a week now.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:43 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:46 pm
How many hours a day does Deion spend making Rick Flair type videos and speeches? The other coaches at that level are using that time coaching. But he’s coming. Wonder when when he is going to get there. He has been coming for almost a week now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:03 pm

All I know is there are a lot of coaches and teams that can’t wait to embarrass them if they can. I wish him luck but have my doubts.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:26 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:46 pm
He’s recruiting, and doing it his way. He has a certain type of player in mind and he’s going after them. I have never been a fan of boisterous players but there is just something about him I like. Time will tell but I’m routing for him.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:33 pm

He is Lavar Ball.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:05 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:37 am
If nothing else, he will get people excited about Colorado Football. Hopefully, he is successful. I like the Buffs back in the day.

Wonder when he is going to get Max Renfro to make his videos?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:33 pm
He is Lavar Ball.
How?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:35 am

AppWyo wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:05 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:37 am

Wonder when he is going to get Max Renfro to make his videos?
If he gets Max, then we know he is serious about making hype videos. Max is the gold standard.
#99ForPresident!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:50 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 pm
appdaze wrote:
He is Lavar Ball.
How?
He was loud and boisterous even before he got to Jackson. He did it to make is son the QB. He took the Colorado job and said his son is going to be the QB. He doesn't care about his reputation with the whole hbcu thing. He is going to try to do anything he can to get his son in the NFL. That is the ultimate goal of his pride. Just like Lavar.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:42 am

Colorado should be congratulated for making a bold move to hire Sanders. Their administration wants to win and he could very well be the man who turns things around there.

I see Sanders as being on the tip of the spear when it comes to embracing and leveraging the rapidly changing environment of college football.

Regardless of what everyone believes, the rubber meets the road soon and we'll see what happens.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:49 am

The story on Sanders is, at a minimum, 3 years away. He is really too late for recruiting this year. Will he maybe get some pickups this year, sure. Colorado was terrible this year ...will be in 2023 and potentially 2024. I feel the seat starts to gets warm in 2025 if they do not at least have a winning record.
#99ForPresident!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:25 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:50 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 pm
appdaze wrote:
He is Lavar Ball.
How?
He was loud and boisterous even before he got to Jackson. He did it to make is son the QB. He took the Colorado job and said his son is going to be the QB. He doesn't care about his reputation with the whole hbcu thing. He is going to try to do anything he can to get his son in the NFL. That is the ultimate goal of his pride. Just like Lavar.
"He's going to have to earn it though, believe that" is what he said after saying his son would be the QB. Don't just draw the outlines, paint the full picture. Shedeur was a 4 star QB out of high school with other offers from P5 schools. Likely better than any other QB currently on the Colorado roster. Maybe he didn't say it out loud, but I guarantee you Lincoln Riley took Caleb Williams to USC with him knowing he'd be the starter, and never even thought he'd have to earn it.

Lavar only promoted his sons, Deion coaches a team. Does he hope his son makes it to the NFL, sure. Does that make him a bad parent for wanting what's best for his son, nope. Plenty of videos out there for anyone to see of him coaching and speaking to the team, not just his son. When he's gets on t.v. he talks about the team, not just his son.

Nothing like Lavar Ball
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”