Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SATTERFIELD TO CINCY

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: SATTERFIELD TO CINCY

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:19 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:21 pm
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:27 pm
Looking for the list of successful coaches who stayed at a mid level school and had more lucrative job offers (more than doubling their salary) but turned them down and remained at that successful mid level school. These would be the life changing offer but they said no I love ______ University too much and don't care about the money.

Would be an interesting list. The only one that comes to mind is a friend, John Kresse, who was at the College of Charleston for probably 25 years. He had a lot of offers from the big colleges and the pro’s but stayed at Charleston. And I do remember that they were NAIA for a long time, and he remained there. He loves Charleston, the town and the college.
It’s probably more common in basketball where someone stays. McKillop comes to mind, and you could put Few at Gonzaga in this as well, though he pretty much built a power from what was a solid program (I remember looking at the back of John Stockton’s basketball card and asking “Gonzaga, where’s that?”

Frank Solich was at OHIO U for 15 years. But that’s almost the exception that proves the rule.
I would question HOW successful Solich was at Ohio U. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire there.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:00 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Looking for the list of successful coaches who stayed at a mid level school and had more lucrative job offers (more than doubling their salary) but turned them down and remained at that successful mid level school. These would be the life changing offer but they said no I love ______ University too much and don't care about the money.

Would be an interesting list. The only one that comes to mind is a friend, John Kresse, who was at the College of Charleston for probably 25 years. He had a lot of offers from the big colleges and the pro’s but stayed at Charleston. And I do remember that they were NAIA for a long time, and he remained there. He loves Charleston, the town and the college.
It’s probably more common in basketball where someone stays. McKillop comes to mind, and you could put Few at Gonzaga in this as well, though he pretty much built a power from what was a solid program (I remember looking at the back of John Stockton’s basketball card and asking “Gonzaga, where’s that?”

Frank Solich was at OHIO U for 15 years. But that’s almost the exception that proves the rule.
I would question HOW successful Solich was at Ohio U. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire there.
not an easy list to compile if strictly limited to college football. Did Solich get offers to leave and a potentially higher salary? That's the key aspect. Seems like the standard jump from good G5 to P5 is about 5x the salary? Even in the private sector you would be hard pressed to find anyone unwilling to switch jobs unless it possibly involved a bad family move.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:19 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:00 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:19 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:

not an easy list to compile if strictly limited to college football. Did Solich get offers to leave and a potentially higher salary? That's the key aspect. Seems like the standard jump from good G5 to P5 is about 5x the salary? Even in the private sector you would be hard pressed to find anyone unwilling to switch jobs unless it possibly involved a bad family move.
He’s really the only one I could think of.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:23 am

Some staff for Satterfield have joined him already, while some will join after the bowl game. May not know about one in particular until after the bowl game.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:04 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:30 pm
appgrad2010 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:19 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:33 pm
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm
The only thing high school coaches should rail against are conferences that play Friday night games. Friday nights are for high school games. It’s only one night a week. Don’t encroach on it.
I had to start the booster club at a brand new high school in Raleigh. The county did not fund athletics for things like scoreboards, refreshment stands, security, buses and on and on. I even wrote a bad check for a bus to get the FB team to there first game. As a matter of fact I wrote another one the next week to get them to that game. Friday nights were REAL important. It was important for the kids to have butts in the seats and for the income it provided. I will not under ANY circumstances attend a college game on a Friday night. To be perfectly honest I also look with disfavor on a school that plays one.

You are saying, WCPSS did not provide activity buses? I do not believe that is correct at all. Unless you needed the team to get a charter bus.
It is absolutely correct. They did NOT provide activity busses and we were not allowed to use yellow busses. We had to provide our own activity busses. I am NOT guessing. It was a fact. I lived it.
Wow! I was hoping that was just a typo. I feel for you and those involved. So when a new HS is built in WCPSS, WCPSS doesn't allot them X amount of activity buses....

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:03 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:17 am
Louisville was an unwinnable endeavor but the money was good. Satt did what he could there but they weren't all in with him...and the fans were some of the most unrealistic people on this earth. Cincy will be a good fit for him.
Boom the truth speaks for itself.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:39 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:03 am
ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:17 am
Louisville was an unwinnable endeavor but the money was good. Satt did what he could there but they weren't all in with him...and the fans were some of the most unrealistic people on this earth. Cincy will be a good fit for him.
Boom the truth speaks for itself.
I definitely do not know the behind the scenes or the expectation of fan base from inside perspective...I am curious if they were never behind him from day 1 ..or not behind him only after South Carolina flirting...I am a Satt guy as he was QB when I was in grad school...but I would believe that some of the perception by fans (and maybe administration) is of his own doing.... people are human and make mistakes in how they handle things.
With that said, does not matter now. He has a multi-year deal where he is making millions...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:58 pm

appgrad2010 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:04 am
bcoach wrote:
appgrad2010 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm
The only thing high school coaches should rail against are conferences that play Friday night games. Friday nights are for high school games. It’s only one night a week. Don’t encroach on it.
I had to start the booster club at a brand new high school in Raleigh. The county did not fund athletics for things like scoreboards, refreshment stands, security, buses and on and on. I even wrote a bad check for a bus to get the FB team to there first game. As a matter of fact I wrote another one the next week to get them to that game. Friday nights were REAL important. It was important for the kids to have butts in the seats and for the income it provided. I will not under ANY circumstances attend a college game on a Friday night. To be perfectly honest I also look with disfavor on a school that plays one.

You are saying, WCPSS did not provide activity buses? I do not believe that is correct at all. Unless you needed the team to get a charter bus.
It is absolutely correct. They did NOT provide activity busses and we were not allowed to use yellow busses. We had to provide our own activity busses. I am NOT guessing. It was a fact. I lived it.
Wow! I was hoping that was just a typo. I feel for you and those involved. So when a new HS is built in WCPSS, WCPSS doesn't allot them X amount of activity buses....
I can't speak for today but when Leesville HS was built that was the case. It was a tremendous amount of work. We started a year before the school opened. Try raising money for a school that is not yet open and has no students/parents. We also had to build our own softball field and baseball field. We had to get the scoreboards for those fields and the gym. We were not going to get a football stadium either. I fought the board and we got one after two years of hammering them. My stand was that I didn't feel every school needed a stadium but we damn sure were not going to be the ONLY school without one. For two years Broughton was our home field. We finally got them to grade our field and put in bleachers. The football coach seeded it, watered it, and cut it from that point on. As a side note I had a daughter there, no sons. There was not a football parent on the original board. That foundation was built by a Volley ball / softball dad, a Girls Soccer dad and a boys soccer dad. It is a very long story that goes on but Friday night is for HS football. Lastly I just want you to know those were the only 2 bad check I have ever written in my life :D

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:15 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:58 pm
appgrad2010 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appgrad2010 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

I can't speak for today but when Leesville HS was built that was the case. It was a tremendous amount of work. We started a year before the school opened. Try raising money for a school that is not yet open and has no students/parents. We also had to build our own softball field and baseball field. We had to get the scoreboards for those fields and the gym. We were not going to get a football stadium either. I fought the board and we got one after two years of hammering them. My stand was that I didn't feel every school needed a stadium but we damn sure were not going to be the ONLY school without one. For two years Broughton was our home field. We finally got them to grade our field and put in bleachers. The football coach seeded it, watered it, and cut it from that point on. As a side note I had a daughter there, no sons. There was not a football parent on the original board. That foundation was built by a Volley ball / softball dad, a Girls Soccer dad and a boys soccer dad. It is a very long story that goes on but Friday night is for HS football. Lastly I just want you to know those were the only 2 bad check I have ever written in my life :D
That sucks, and thankfully is not the case anymore when they build a new school in Wake Co. Actually, the trend being explored is spending less on land and facilities by hubbing HS's to one central complex shared by many. Becomes less about spending and more about scheduling.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:56 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:15 pm
bcoach wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:58 pm
appgrad2010 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appgrad2010 wrote:

That sucks, and thankfully is not the case anymore when they build a new school in Wake Co. Actually, the trend being explored is spending less on land and facilities by hubbing HS's to one central complex shared by many. Becomes less about spending and more about scheduling.
Long overdue

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”