Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Liberty / Chadwell

asunate
School: Appalachian State

Liberty / Chadwell

Unread post by asunate » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:27 am

Reports that Chadwell and Liberty are in discussions lead to a likely unpopular take on this board..... I can completely understand why both Liberty and Chadwell want this deal. He is obviously not getting a P5 job as he's interviewed for several. He gets a significant pay raise, access to lots of resources (read $), and can likely recruit or transfer in talent at the QB position to run his offense. That offense will dominate the new CUSA. With CFP expansion coming and the top 6 "ranked" conference champions making the field I would propose that Liberty's chances of being in that mix are perhaps higher than a Sun Belt team simply because running the table and getting to 12-1 is significantly easier. I'm not saying I like it, but I understand why Liberty and Chadwell could be a good pair.

BeauFoster

Re: Liberty / Chadwell

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:36 am

Your point make sense. I wonder how long Korn stays with Chadwell? I could see him being a pretty hot commodity in the OC market, and while Liberty can/will pay him well I’m sure, if he has his eyes on a head coaching gig he will have a better shot if he moves to a bigger school and gets some different experience. Chadwell will still do ok without him, but Korn seems to be a stud of a play caller.
Give 'em hell!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:53 am

The Coastal folks seems to think Korn will be their HC if Chadwell goes to Liberty.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 am

They seem perfect for each other. And just one more reason to cancel our future games with Liberty.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:14 am

I'd put money on Coastal having NCAA sanctions incoming...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:15 am

There's no benefits to accepting this job offer other than money.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:25 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:14 am
When some programs get really good seemingly overnight you tend to go hmmm. I recall years ago when Ole Miss suddenly catapulted into top 5 country. They went from just ok to really good and had 3 or 4 of the absolute top recruits. Needless to say they had some issues down the road. Baylor was the same way. I've always felt that certain schools should not have real problems recruiting if their school offers nice fringe benefits such as location (Myrtle Beach). University of Florida in Gainesville with nice weather should always be a plus. Then again UNLV has never been a football school so who knows?

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:34 am

AppStateNews wrote:
I didn't know sanctions were a thing anymore....

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:36 am

It would be a bad look for the sun belt east champion head coach to leave for a CUSA school, especially when you consider our (SB fans) narrative that we’ve completely surpassed CUSA.

Liberty obviously wants to keep the Freeze train rolling and have the resources to get anyone they want.

Chadwell would be getting a pay bump and a fan base that really seems to care. Coastal’s fans just didn’t show out even when the team was good.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:25 am
AppStateNews wrote:
When some programs get really good seemingly overnight you tend to go hmmm. I recall years ago when Ole Miss suddenly catapulted into top 5 country. They went from just ok to really good and had 3 or 4 of the absolute top recruits. Needless to say they had some issues down the road. Baylor was the same way. I've always felt that certain schools should not have real problems recruiting if their school offers nice fringe benefits such as location (Myrtle Beach). University of Florida in Gainesville with nice weather should always be a plus. Then again UNLV has never been a football school so who knows?
It's not even that. He's brought sanctions to every school he's been the head coach. The last time he left a school, he went from HC at Charleston Southern to the OC at Coastal for less money -- when Coastal and CSU were in the same conference (albeit, Coastal was already moving up). Not two years later Charleston Southern has sanctions for Chadwell playing players that weren't even enrolled in the school.

This is his MO. Leave before he gets caught so he doesn't have to deal with it.
tAPPedInSports.net

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:53 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
It's not even that. He's brought sanctions to every school he's been the head coach. The last time he left a school, he went from HC at Charleston Southern to the OC at Coastal for less money -- when Coastal and CSU were in the same conference (albeit, Coastal was already moving up). Not two years later Charleston Southern has sanctions for Chadwell playing players that weren't even enrolled in the school.

Have there even been any accusations by credible outlets of Chadwell improprieties at Coastal?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:24 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:15 am
A raise of a couple million a year to do what I was doing before? Sign me up, please.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:28 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:53 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Have there even been any accusations by credible outlets of Chadwell improprieties at Coastal?
Nothing public, but definitely within coaching circles.

Again, he's had three stops as a head coach in NCAA. All three have been put on sanctions after he leaves. It's just what he does. He doesn't care about anybody but himself.
tAPPedInSports.net

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:24 am
A raise of a couple million a year to do what I was doing before? Sign me up, please.
He will find quick there ain't much to do in Lynchburg compared to Myrtle Beach, but when that deposit hits the account, he will say, "What beach?"

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:41 pm

Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:24 am
He will find quick there ain't much to do in Lynchburg compared to Myrtle Beach, but when that deposit hits the account, he will say, "What beach?"
They've made their own fake ski slope, so they'll probably make him a fake beach.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:11 pm

I’m shocked he was able to find a school with less morals than CCU. Moving from Title Loan Capital of the World Conway to the Blue Ridge Mountains has to be a plus to anyone with a brain.

asunate

Unread post by asunate » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:29 pm

The thing that gets to me, as an App fan, is his path to CFP is going to be easier than at Coastal. And in similar fashion, the path Liberty gets to the CFP, is going to be easier than App's. No expectation that there is success in CFP but simply the exposure and consistently being "in the discussion" is more likely for both Liberty/Chadwell.

I'm very happy with the moves SBC did with expansion. We all think we have a great conference with awesome regional rivalries. CUSA has been left as a dumpster fire. However.....for Liberty specifically I think they have a huge chance for those circumstances to play in their favor and bringing him to coach increases those chances. Kinda bugs me.. :)

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:49 pm

Can you get ranked by beating Sam Houston, FIU, and Kennesaw State? They will have to have a stellar out of conference slate to be considered.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:36 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:49 pm
Can you get ranked by beating Sam Houston, FIU, and Kennesaw State? They will have to have a stellar out of conference slate to be considered.
According to FBSschedules.com they only have one P5 game lined up with Virginia Tech and even that doesn't take place for a few years.

Their best OOC schedule right now is 2024, but outside of that it's pretty weak.

Things could change, but I think Liberty will probably struggle to find decent OOC opponents on a consistent basis.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:04 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:36 am
It would be a bad look for the sun belt east champion head coach to leave for a CUSA school, especially when you consider our (SB fans) narrative that we’ve completely surpassed CUSA.

Liberty obviously wants to keep the Freeze train rolling and have the resources to get anyone they want.

Chadwell would be getting a pay bump and a fan base that really seems to care. Coastal’s fans just didn’t show out even when the team was good.
That's only if you look at the outside layer.

On the inside this is a program with a blank check in the weakest conference. Only one G5 champion program will make the playoffs and Liberty has the easiest road to get there, especially in the NIL era. Chadwell knows that's a ticket to a mid-level P5 job, where without McCall and in the SBC the road will be tougher.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”